Opera 12 Beta Launches With New Look, Lots Of Skin

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,923
Points 1,118,125
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 27 2012 12:47 AM
Internet Explorer has its television ads, and Firefox has it's fiery fox logo. But Opera has a growing user base of its own, and the latest edition of the browser-that-could is now available. Opera 12 Beta has launched this week, presenting an entirely new look and feel, including new themes that provide some of the most stunning skins yet. With the new implementation, anyone can style Opera just the way they want. There's also 64-bit support, enabling startup times and page loading to be quicker than before. There's also a new implementation that runs plugins (such as Flash) as separate processes, which makes the browser as a whole a lot more stable.

Other features? Support for the Do Not Track header, CSS3 animations and transitions, HTML5 drop-and-drop, support for CORS, and opt-in hardware acceleration and WebGL. Given it a download already? Any first impressions?
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

It is *** awesome. Some minor things I didnt like, but easy fixes. That said, Ive been in love with this browser since verion 5 or so...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Hmmm, edit doesnt seem to work. I was going to add, that as always, Opera comes out on top as far as customisability goes. The multitude of now available extensions doesnt hurt either (though I use none, just a few custom userscripts). I have to say, for me, some of the newer web-dev stuff is the most interesting, doing that I do it quite a bit.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 940
ZTimpson replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 11:35 AM

Can anyone tell me why to get this browser over Firefox? This is the first time i have even heard of Opera. So if anyone has tried it and would compare their personal experience, i would sure appreciate it!:)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 910

Nice to see Opera adding some new features including the 64-bit version, which even IE9 or FF hasn't got right (although it was plenty fast as it is). I'll update to 12 when it's out of beta...

@ZTimpson, browser choice is really a personal preference. I also have Firefox, but I find myself using Opera and Chromium more often these days. I like Opera because it's really lightweight and on my computer (a sort of high-end AMD build), runs much faster and more stable than FF, no adobe flash crashes for me at least.

If you're an add-on junkie or you like extremely customizing your browser, Opera is not for you (although with this version it may change). But lack of add-ons never stopped anyone from using Chrome.

They've been around for a while, and some of the features you enjoy in other browsers (such as tabbed browsing, among others that escape me now) were actually pioneered by the Norwegians. Give it a whirl and see if you like.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 12:26 PM

Looks nice I downloaded it and it seems to be streamlined I like the clear/white layout to I will check it out more later.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 1:31 PM

Yeah zack. opera is just another internet browser. The real difference is now its more stable. if you have ever used firefox you know that the settings are rather hard to find the first time, also the whole things freaks out about half the time when your just browsing around. Opera is a nice little internet browser that fast and intuitive. it grabs a tiny section of the web browsing market but with this last new addition it really looks like some great new features and maybe little more of the depth we were looking for in this browser will finally come.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 940
ZTimpson replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 2:04 PM

i am always looking for faster products! the stabiblebility is a bonus for sure!sounds like an awesome product with its new upgrades!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 2:07 PM

Neat, although i don't use opera its nice to have the option now that it has more added features to suite me. I still like the classic looks better :P

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 940
ZTimpson replied on Sat, Apr 28 2012 8:43 PM

right on thanks

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS