Lenovo Gooses PC Boot Times with Enhanced Experience 3

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,675
Points 1,155,560
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 26 2012 1:46 PM
One of the most annoying aspects of working with computers is boot times. (Ask your company IT guy how many hours of his life he’s wasted waiting for computers to boot. See if he weeps.) Over the years, boot times have improved a great deal, but there’s always room for improvement. In fact, some note that one of the reasons tablets are growing in usage over PCs is their instant-on capabilities.

Lenovo is taking a whack at the problem with Enhanced Experience 3 (EE3) for Windows 7. EE3 includes RapidBoot technology, which can shorten boot times on computers with spinning HDDs by 40%. Lenovo claims that EE3-equipped Windows 7 machines average 24-second boot times, while those without average 41 seconds.

Lenovo’s notebooks with EE3 can also take advantage of BootShield, which holds off various software from launching until system resources are available, which speeds boot times by keeping all that non-essential extra software that launches on boot restrained. Theoretically, then, the more additional software a system has, the more effective BootShield will be at optimizing that machine’s boot time.

The technology is available as a standard feature on Lenovo Think and Lenovo Idea computers starting yet this month.
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 3:49 PM

This is a really cool innovation, not because its revolutionary or mindblowing but because the overall grade or standard for technology has improved, no longer is the ssd the only solution for a quick booting pc. Anytime the majority of computers upgrade at the same time, technology is advancing in mass.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 940
ZTimpson replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 5:19 PM

This is an awesome upgrade, boot-time is so aggrevating!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 940
ZTimpson replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 5:25 PM

I am on a Dell LATITUDE running windows 7, right now and its boot time is 29 seconds........just saying that that graph may not be entirally correct.

Let me know if you have also experienced windows 7 taking less time than 41 seconds!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,083
Points 10,970
CDeeter replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 5:49 PM

I'm definitely for any thing that decreases boot times, especially corporate lappy's running encryption. lol

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,814
Points 45,635
rapid1 replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 6:34 PM

Yes having something like this is nice but the same thing can be accomplished by you editing your boot string and changing your windows XP/Vista/7 default boot time to 3 seconds rather than the default 30. My desktop boots under 30 seconds on a 2 year old SSD. The thing is it booted at just over 30 seconds on my last computer as well!

hit start then type msconfig in the search box click the second tab at the top left called boot find the timeout box down on the right side of it where it says 30 and change it to 3. Then click the startup tab at the top of the box uncheck anything that does not say Microsoft or that you do what to boot with your system. Walla your system will boot faster and any program that has to boot will generally do it but after your desktop opens, if it does not all you have to do is right click it usually and open said program.

One thing do not uncheck anything that starts with Microsoft unless you know what your doing or want to have your PC possibly not boot the next time you hit the power switch. If you really wanna learn a good bit about editing your registry and tweaking windows from inside on any version TWEAKHOUND does great write ups on the practice and guides as well (tweakhound.com).

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 940
ZTimpson replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 7:38 PM

"One thing do not uncheck anything that starts with Microsoft unless you know what your doing or want to have your PC possibly not boot the next time you hit the power switch"

hahaha ya:)

So with me now knowing i can do that, will i be able boot up the Lenevo even faster than 24 seconds?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,814
Points 45,635
rapid1 replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 9:43 PM

It depends on what there doing really if there boot instructions are to specific it may slow it down. I would need some personal experience with one to tell you the answer on that one really.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 940
ZTimpson replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 11:33 PM

right on, so will you be getting one?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Meh / I am really used to hitting start and walking away that I dont care much if it takes longer. Maybe if it got below fifteen seconds Id have the patience, but I have yet to see that.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 910

Good tip @rapid1. I read that somewhere else (I think on ssdreview.com) and it does work.

It's sad that windows is so crappy that you have to resort to hacks to get minutes of your life back. Linux and Mac builds have no such problems as far as my experience goes. Win 8 seems to tackle this issue, but it's a disgrace it took them THIS long.

Like MayhemMatthew, I just turn it on and go make a coffee or something. *sigh*

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS