New HH Ad Type - Need Reader Feedback! :)

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,630
Points 55,230
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH Posted: Wed, Apr 25 2012 7:58 AM

Hi Folks,

We'd like your feedback on a new type ad we're running.  See screenshot below. This is an ad type called "TWIG."  It's an unobtrusive ribbon ad that fill across the bottom of your screen when on the site, only a few times per user per day and if there is a relevant ad to show you.  You can easily just click it off with the "X" or hover over it and invoke the full ad.

What are your thoughts?  I'm showing it here on a lower res display so this is the worst case implementation (1024X768 res) which takes the most screen real estate for the ad.

Please advise on your feedback! :)

Thanks!

Dave

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Dave I have to be honest, I use adblock plus at home. At work I don't have that option. I say do what you have to do, if hhware will get more money this way go for it. Is this going to replace the video ads? Or is this going to be in addition to the other types of ads already on the site.

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,630
Points 55,230
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 10:45 AM

Drake_McNasty:

Dave I have to be honest, I use adblock plus at home. At work I don't have that option. I say do what you have to do, if hhware will get more money this way go for it. Is this going to replace the video ads? Or is this going to be in addition to the other types of ads already on the site.

Understood Drake.  Do you realize that when you use adblock, you're basically taking away almost all revenue sources from our business and that we would either have to turn into a complete paywall site if all users decided to do what you do?  It's either that or we go out of business.

I've been vocal on this before but I just don't understand how people that use the internet as a resource, entertainment or whatever, can block ads and think it's a good idea. 

I totally understand blocking ads that are spammy, irrelevant or over done (pop-ups etc) but blocking all ads everywhere you go, on quality sites that serve quality ads, is like biting the hand that feeds you.

Would you like us to go out of business?  If every one of our readers did, we likely would shut down in a very short period of time.

Dave

Editor In Chief

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Or you could scold your(almost daily) readers in a forum and have them not return? I get where you are coming from and as a business owner you need revenue to stay in business. You need to understand I do 90% of my hhware viewing at work without adblock plus. I also forward your articles like crazy around work to other people who don't use adblock. I use adblock at home solely for the purpose of speed. I hate how bogged down my browsing experience gets when I go to a site and there are 50 flash ads blasting at you. I don't care if they are relevant or not, to me an ad is an ad and I don't click on them. I understand where you are coming from 100% and like I said before I do most of my tech reading at work so I don't feel bad about using it at home. Do I want you to go out of business? No, absolutely not.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 418
Points 5,330
FreeJet replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 10:13 PM

Looks like you have TWIGs at the bottom of the front web page already.  They remind me of those little inserts in magazines (They still have those?) that fall out when you open up a page...or you have to rip them out along a perforation to remove them.  Those TWIGs are semi-transparent, web-page versions of them to me.  They make cool sounds when you hover-over them, though,  but sometimes I get freaked-out when the ad pops up in front of everything and starts playing by itself.  That takes some getting used to.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,630
Points 55,230
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 10:50 PM

Drake_McNasty:

Or you could scold your(almost daily) readers in a forum and have them not return? ...

Drake, sorry brother. That was not my intent.  I wasn't scolding you at all, though I'm passionate about this issue obviously.  You do what you gotta do.  I was just pointing out the impact and how we keep the lights on around here.

Editor In Chief

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 11:09 PM

I honestly would rather have the adds on the side like those cyber power ones you guys had. Or have the ad pop out from the sides instead of the bottom(left side). Also avoid auto playing ads that have a sound.

And totally with you Dave on the add blocking thing. I have never used it because all the sites i visit are valued and not random, although i do go to random sites at time but they never have pop up ads and that's fine with me. Never has it been an issue, plus i know how it feels especially when your offering a free service...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,691
Points 104,390
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 12:13 AM

Dave, they're fine wherever you put them.

I'd like to say to 'youse guys' that it's cool to actually ~~click~~ them ads every now and then,.......just to keep the people paying for the ads interested in doing business here.                    It doesn't take much time to do and it helps the site that's helped so many of us, so many times.

Nobody says to buy stuff, but those clicks tell them that we're interested.   Just Saying,.....Smile

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,630
Points 55,230
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 5:25 AM

Thanks Neil.  That definitely helps in a major way when you take interest and some level of action on an ad that resonates with you.

Editor In Chief

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,630
Points 55,230
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 5:28 AM

Inspector:

I honestly would rather have the adds on the side like those cyber power ones you guys had. Or have the ad pop out from the sides instead of the bottom(left side). Also avoid auto playing ads that have a sound.

Understood here Inspector.  You'll never see an auto-playing ad with sound here.  It's far too annoying/obtrusive to do that. Any ad we serve will have to be user initiated with at least a mouse-over.

Editor In Chief

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,917
Points 24,670
digitaldd replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 8:43 AM

Hopefully its not too easy to accidentally hover over it to open the full ad by accident. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,630
Points 55,230
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 9:39 AM

digitaldd:

Hopefully its not too easy to accidentally hover over it to open the full ad by accident. 

Not at all.  You have to stay hovered over for at least 3 seconds for these to  be invoked.

Editor In Chief

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,691
Points 104,390
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 10:42 AM

Dave_HH:
You have to stay hovered over for at least 3 seconds for these to  be invoked.

And you can actually see a countdown occur before it happens too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

This is the only site where I allow the add blocker not to work. The adds on this site are not very annoying like some other sites

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,691
Points 104,390
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 6:44 PM

You mean like the ads that will keep you from closing them?

They stop you from going back to the prior page?

I agree that the ads can be, and often are, a real PITA.

I do it the same way as you do. I allow ads here, but most other places,.....no.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I personally use AdblockerPlus as well but I have it set to use a blacklist that I set rather then a ad subscription. I wish flash would just die already because on my 2 year old laptop most sites with flash ads instantly spike memory usage to an insane level. I personally block ad services such as brightcove because they are very intrusive. Especially with my viewing at work.

The Twig ads do not bother me now that I know they will only pop up a few times a day. It seemed like they were popping up on every page I visited initially.

Definitely no ads that autoplay sound

Thanks Dave for always considering the community.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,630
Points 55,230
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 10:32 AM

omegadraco:

Thanks Dave for always considering the community.

You're more than welcome, omega.  After all, without you folks we fail as well obviously.  We are always striving to strike a balance here between best user experience and monetization.  The two definitely can be contrary forces at play, so we're pretty careful about how we implement things and what we allow. 

The two are also symbiotic (best practice user experience and monetization).  One doesn't exist so well without the other. Smile

Editor In Chief

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS