WD VelociRaptor 1TB 10K RPM SATA III Hard Drive Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,161
Points 1,185,505
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 16 2012 8:31 AM

WD VelociRaptor 1TB 10K RPM SATA III Hard DriveAlthough solid state drives have generated the lion’s share of buzz in the storage space these last few years, traditional hard drives with spinning media continue to be a mainstay of the industry and have evolved to offer higher capacities and more performance than ever before. Of course, even the fastest of today’s hard drives can’t compete with solid state drives in terms of peak transfer speeds and especially access times, but the release of the new WD VelociRaptor we’ll be showing you here today helps close the gap just a bit...

WD VelociRaptor 1TB 10K RPM SATA III Hard Drive Review

• | Post Points: 200
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,085
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 10:57 AM

While I see this as a worthy HDD to have, I can't help but think I would be better served with an SSD for my OS installation, backed up with a more traditional (and less expensive) HDD as storage in my system.

SSD's are coming down in price all of the time. Newegg has a OCZ Agility 3  240GB SATA III Solid State Drive for $199.99 today as a shell-shocker deal.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I agree 100% @realneil. I just picked up a shell-shocker 120gb corsair force gt for $120. After using an ssd for my boot drive I would never be able to go back to a mechanical drive for boot/programs. That begin said this is an amazing drive for someone who needs speed and storage space at the same time. I'm happy to see the 5-year warranty on this puppy. Anything spinning that fast always worries me on the reliability front.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,012
Points 9,455
sevags replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 2:55 PM

Nothing spinning this fast worries me when it comes to reliability. I've owned several generations of Raptors from WD, the longest being my 75gb raptor which has been on and running 24/7 (give or take a few days a year down time) since 2004... Yes 8 years and it is still currently running and on. I've never had a raptor die whether in my own systems or in someone else's rig I built

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 4:01 PM

Another great review; I purchased one these drives before I knew the joy of an SSD, it served as my game drive. It's still a great purchase but I agree with what has been said that SSD are continually dropping in price and the performance increase is just so dramatic with an SSD.

"I have the power!!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 10:15 PM

Yeah realneil your right on the money an Intel SSD at 60GB (perfect for an OS drive with performance to spare) and maybe 2 1 TB (one for programs one for media) drives probably for less than one of these things, double the storage space, and at least double the general OS performance if not quadruple.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 11:25 PM

Ya i would have to agree with realneil. Although if i did have the money it doesn't hurt to have some fast HDD on top of a SSD :D.

The price for a this is reasonable but not in my price range to get. Maybe soon SSD will be come as low as a traditional HDD then life is good :D

Not Ranked
Posts 44
Points 535
BMAN replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 4:20 AM

For a while now; I've been using a Corsair Force Gt as my main drive, and a 300GB WD VelociRaptor as my backup/ data drive...doesn't hurt to have to fast drives to run your system.

Very stable HDD's, I've had my WD running now for over 4 years.

system specs

Intel i5 3570***, ASUS Sabertooth Z77, Corsair AX850, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3, Corsair Force 3 Series GT  SSD (120GB), WD VelociRaptor (300GB), water-cooled HIS Radeon HD7950, AZZA Genesis 9000, EKWB Supremacy CQ CPU block, XSPC RX360, EKWB-DCP 4.0 pump, Windows 7 H.P. - 64 bit

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
Alannis replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 9:30 AM

That begin said this is an amazing drive for someone who needs speed and storage space at the same time. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
dustbeta replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 7:41 PM

I do agree with realneil, but I think you lose some convenience having to path My Documents and some Programs to another drive. I think this drive at 1TB along with a 60GB Intel SSD 330 using Intel Smart Resoponse Technology would be ideal. I am doing a new build next week and will try that configuration out. Best of both worlds I figure.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 11:44 AM

I posted on the HH Bargains post Newegg has OCZ 60GB SSD's on sale for $59.99 now, I saw either a Corsair or a Samsung at 64GB yesterday for $79.99 and then you have the INTEL for $89.99. If you complimented this with a couple of these for Data and Media drives and use a SSD as an OS drive it optimizes the system. They even have smaller than 1TB Raptors of the current build for much less.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

60GB as an OS drive? That's hardly enough. Consider a 90GB.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sun, Apr 22 2012 2:53 PM

What do you guys think of Intels' Smart Respone Technology that uses an SSD up to 64GB sort of like a cache or drive buffer for mechanical hard drives?

The Gigabyte Motherboard I won a while back (Thank you HotHardware!) has that on it and I happen to have a 30GB SSD lying around that I got irritated configuring when I first built my PC and had previous forgotten about

The performance differences in the youtube video I saw seemed pretty decent and this seemed like one of the most cost efficient ways to speed up your system on a bang for buck route

Wonder what an SSD Cached with a WD Velociraptor would be be like

Here's the vid if a Smart Respone to Pure Mechanical comparison anyone wants to check it out : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei7kkOHa0iw

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
RBaker replied on Tue, May 22 2012 3:38 PM

Better off Just to use a SSD (now less than £90 for 128gb) and have vast swathes of space on a 3tb drive. The naughty diskers are pushing ppl too the big drives as the small drives (3tb @120 or 500gb for £60) are such bad value. Admittedly if you have tp put a HD into a system for supply to someone else then every penny counts.

BTW the Disk factories are back in full swing, 3tb pouring out de factory doors.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I bought two WD6000HLHX a year ago and have RAID 0 setup, these drives run 24/7 most of the time or 24/5 as in need for use. Not had anything but great performance from them. Read and Write speeds outperform all consumer HDDs and many SSDs. I would upgrade to new SSDs if they were more reliable and reasonably priced. Will be buying a few of these 1TB VelociRaptors... Interested in the CSSD-F480GBGT-BK for their speed, but until they can reach the capacity and price as the WD VelociRaptors then I won't buy them. I backup my data onto external HDDS so if they fail I can make a full restoration. I've had very bad expeirnece with Seagate HDDs and constantly returning them for repair.

Just keep in mind that RAID was never meant as a backup solution, not mirroring. And if you want to avoid failure of RAID 0 array during loss of power or improper shutdown/restart of PC, simply disable write-back cache and it won't happen. I've tested mine with this disabled and speeds are just as rapid, and shutdown pc improperly and cut power and no harm done to HDDs or data on them! Always make backups weekly or more often if you can!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
Zyperis replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 3:15 PM

Wow this is amazing. It has a lot of space and given that it is a SATA harddrive it is impressively fast.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS