Laptop Replacement ASUS Transformer Pad 300 Shipping April 22

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,854
Points 1,115,200
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Apr 15 2012 1:27 PM
Remember when they starting billing notebooks as “desktop replacements”? It’s happening again, only this time it’s tablets that are replacing laptops. According to PCWorld, ASUS’ laptop replacement Transformer Pad 300 will begin shipping on April 22.

According to previously-leaked specs, the tablet will run Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and feature a 10.1-inch screen, quad-core NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor (1.2GHz), 1GB of DDR3 RAM, 16GB (or possibly 32GB) of internal memory (with a microSD card slot for more), 1.2MP front-facing camera, and 8MP rear-facing camera, with 4G LTE, WiFi, and Bluetooth 2.1 for connectivity.

It will also have an optional keyboard dock, which will extend the tablet’s 8.5-hour battery life to up to 12.5 hours. ASUS didn’t tell PCWorld what the price tag would be, but the tablet has a page on BJ’s and is listed at $399.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sun, Apr 15 2012 6:32 PM

I'd consider it, if the bootloader wasn't locked. It sounds like jailbreaking the original version and putting Linux on it works - but can be a pain in the neck. I'd buy a Vivaldi instead, if only it was larger and had better specs.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,071
Points 10,850
CDeeter replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 8:02 AM

Hmm seems like tablet + dock is the new netbook.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I love the idea of a tablet/keyboard as a notebook replacement. I still don't know what I'm going to do when my current laptop craps out. Ultrabooks are ultra sexy but so does the transformer prime. If you only surf the web, edit ms docs, and email the transformer prime is perfect. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to buy they will have a better screen on them, the ipad3's is killer.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 5:57 PM

I've been thinking much the same thing, but I'm wondering if we might even take it further by skipping a generation and forgetting the tablet. How about a phone that runs Android, but can be plugged into a doc and run a full-featured OS?

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NS2uEoV_Cg&feature=player_detailpage#t=53s]

That dock is so inexpensive, you could put them all over and carry your computer with you everywhere.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
Summerpole replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 10:04 AM

That is an interesting idea 3vi1; I like the idea of having a doc at work and home for transporting my pad to avoid the weight making my shoulder hurt. This one is for my son though, and priced better than the Prime, it is more his “size.” He has been asking for a tablet for forever, and he is wearing out his iPhone watching TV on it. We use the Dish Remote Access App my employer, DISH, put out for watching TV on our iOS and Android devices. He is as busy as I am and this way he watches his shows away from home. This will be the best Birthday gift I can think of; I can’t wait to see the look on his face.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40
suoshao replied on Mon, Apr 23 2012 4:27 AM

Thank you to share.I wish you happiness forever

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS