Zotac ZBOX Nano XS AD11 Plus Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,209,815
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Apr 11 2012 11:56 AM

Zotac ZBOX Nano XS AD11 PlusOver the last couple of years, Zotac has introduced a number of ultra small ZBOX systems that have seemingly gotten smaller and smaller with each new generation. The latest model we’ll be showing you here today, however, is the smallest yet. The new Zotac ZBOX Nano XS AD11 Plus is an AMD E-series APU based small form factor / HTPC system that fits in the palm of your hand—literally. Despite offering a dual-core processor, integrated DirectX 11 class graphics, 2GB of RAM, a 64GB solid state drive, USB 3.0, a flash card reader, and various other connections, the ZBOX Nano XS AD11 Plus measures just 4.17” x 4.17” x 1.46”...

Zotac ZBOX Nano XS AD11 Plus Review

• | Post Points: 140
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 12:46 PM

Nice form factor - just wish it was about twice as powerful.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,767
Points 105,080
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 10:39 PM

I want it to fit into a watch,.........

Actually not a bad little PC for screening movies.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 166
Points 1,430
detnight replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 8:54 AM

this would be good for my GPS system I use in my car/truck. Right now I use a laptop mounted in the back seat.

Asus M4A79T deluxe,AMD Athlon II X4 620,SAPPHIRE R9 270X 4GB GDDR5 WITH BOOST & OC,BeerPatriot Viper DDR3 1333 8gb,Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro,Diamond ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Comb,Plextor DVD-CD burner,Patriot PS-100 SSD 32gb ,WD 500gb 32mg,Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower,Antec True Power Quattro 1000watts,Toshiba 40in 1080p for a monitor

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 7:48 PM

Thanks for the review on this one Marco. Pretty good features and perfect fit for any home theater system.

"I have the power!!"

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
mattlr81 replied on Fri, Apr 13 2012 9:16 AM

I am looking into an HTPC with an external Silicondust HDHomerun Tuner. Does this thing have the horsepower to encode HD over the air signals?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
ctm replied on Fri, Apr 13 2012 9:42 AM

I am a tad of a novice to these boxes.  Is it easy to load a Linux distro onto this device?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,691
Points 55,920
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Apr 13 2012 3:06 PM

@mattlr81 - yes, it definitely does.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,691
Points 55,920
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 9:34 PM

Yes, it's a basic PC platform under the hood.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
AThomas1 replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 3:55 PM

I just got the ad10 (I had a ssd 2.5" already) and i can say it works very well with plex, wmc and the hulu desktop client. My next step is to get the Silicondust tuner and plex plugin for it.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

I have the lower performing version - VD01 with the dual VIA processors at 1.2Mhz.

I fitted it with 4G DDR3 and an OCZ Agility 3 SSD.

The machine is fantastic in performance evevtough the 3d Graphics is not supposed to be that good. As a general office computer it can open about 50 folders (including web pages, office docs etc and the memory is only at 30% usage. What a flier.

I measured the power consumption and it is at 19 - 32 Watts depending on how busy the processors are.

I still don´t have Windows installed - I am using Jolicloud operating system which is great and if I can get the graphics to output at a higher resolution I won´t bother with Windows.

This little machine is a complete riot - I will be ordering more of them! What a piece of work!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 940
ZTimpson replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 5:53 PM

Has anyone purchased this and what do they think of it?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
dm29 replied on Sun, May 6 2012 2:17 PM

Dear Steve. No doubt the Nano X2 is a good chip. In this link http://www.tomshardware.de/Nettop-Performance-Vergleich-Benchmarks-ZBOX,testberichte-240966.html --the VD01 you talk about shows impressive performance from the CPU front, as the Nano at just 1,2GHz is usually on the same level as the Zacate at 1,6 - 1,65GHz. Sadly there's a lot of concern about the quality and relaibility of VIA chipsets though. Driver issues and compatibility apart, can you give us any indication about the VX900 capabilities in bringing HD content? Suposedly it can decode 1080p but only under Windows Media Player, paying for PoweDVD and, i've heard, the DSPlayer. Have you launched video to your Zotac? Sadly, I havent seen a single review where the VD01 can decode 1080p as stated, and not due CPU power, as it appears that the hardware aceleration simply doesn't work at all when decoding 1080p (720p is, just, Ok). Thank you very much and sorry for my bad english. (I'm very interested about buying this!)

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

Hello,

Regarding the performance of the Zotac VDO1 -

So far the Nano is so good that I actually replaced my monitor with a 32 inch TV, an OKI 32CV- PHTUV.

I still have not installed Windows (tough the Zotac comes with various drivers for for windows). The Jolicloud (Linux OS) is very agile and robust. I use this for my work and also for watching movies in my spare time.

Everybody who sees this is always amazed. Sometimes a certain product is not perfect but if it works maybe we should just go with it. And bear in mind that this is replacing a tower case running Windows Vista with a Samsung Monitor T220 using a resolution set to 1680 x 1250

I have NEVER seen anything like this in terms of beautiful color production. This is mostly due to the OKI LCD screen but the Zotac box still only runs at 800 x 600. I actually located the exact file on the Linux system to edit the resolution values but I did not change anything.

It just is not an issue for me. So if you keep away from games and the like this machine is great.

Naturally I am concerned about long-life - I think it is important to keep the Zotac in the up-right position . This help keep it cool, to have the fan blowing upwards. The metal chassis acts as a heatsink and the top gets warmer than the other 3 sides. The CPU temperature runs from 54 to 64 º C and seems stable.

I use this machine intensely so even if it lasts a little over 1 year I will be pleased. The AMD versions are no doubt beter but I imagine they use a bit more power. But after nearly 1 month now of this machine there is no way I would want to go back to using a normal tower case.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

Hi,

Regarding your query about loading Linux, I have Linux Jolicloud running on the VDO1.

I tried a few different Linux distributions first - SUSE loaded in just 14 Minutes but the sound would not work - this is typical with newly installed Linux.

But SUSE had been previousely patchy with Youtube streaming on my tower case so I tried a few more.

Ubuntu failed to install...

Finally Jolicloud installed in a snap and yesterday I used the same CD to put it on my friends alongside his Windows 7 - it worked immediately. You can even prepare a USB drive version to install or run it live from CD before you install it in order to try it out.

But assuming you are installing any operating system from CD/DVD, you will net to get an external USB DVD drive. So if you are buying one of these PCs you should allow for that. 

Also, before you install any OS, you will need to connect a USB keyboard into one of the USB 3.0 ports - not the USB 2.0 ports as the BIOS won recognise the device before the OS is installed.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS