Dropbox Adds Browser Drag-And-Drop To Cloud Magic

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,918
Points 1,117,845
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Apr 8 2012 10:48 AM
Dropbox is improving once again. The world's favorite cloud-based file sharing and storage service now has looming competition, with SkyDrive, iCloud, Box and soon -- Google Drive -- coming into view. So lately, we've seen the team cranking out many new features. The latest is drag-and-drop, allowing users to simply spot something that they want saved, and using Chrome / Firefox / Safari, upload files by dragging them from your desktop onto the Dropbox website. After Dropbox detects the upload, it’ll work its magic to get your stuff wherever you need it.

Something tells us it's only the beginning of a longer line of improvements for Dropbox. And frankly, we hope they cook up integration with mobile operating systems next. Cross-platform magic is what makes it so appealing.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 4:01 PM

Yeah - I think Dropbox has been feeling the heat from the competition.

Just yesterday they sent out e-mails stating that they've raised the max free space to 16GB - which is even better than Minus offers (10GB - but the interface isn't well integrated like Dropbox). The one catch is that you have to get a friend to sign up for each 500MB over 2.5GB you get up until that max.

So, if anyone's thinking of signing up for the first time, use http://db.tt/h5qUz1C, and we both get 500MB extra for free. :)

Another service that was missed in the list above is Ubuntu One (which has Windows, Android, and iPhone clients in addition to Linux): https://one.ubuntu.com/ U1 gives you 5GB of space for free, and anything bought through their music store doesn't count against your free space.

I use a combination of Dropbox and U1 on my systems. I put docs and things I might want to share on Dropbox and use U1 for everything else.

With U1, I copy all of my Linux application .rc/.config files from their original location into the Ubuntu One directory, then create symlinks in the original location (ex.: ln -s ~/Ubuntu\ One/.ts3client/ ~/.ts3client). After that, I can just create the same symlink on any other machine and all of my application configuration settings will remain synced.

It also means that I can completely re-install Linux on my machine, sign into U1, and get back all my apps automatically (the Ubuntu Software Center lets you syncronize which apps are installed via Ubuntu One), and their settings come back as soon as I create the symlink - the commands for which I put in a scripts that stays in my U1 folder - and is therefore present on any machine. :)

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 651
Points 5,915

Thanks for the Ubuntu-One tip, 3vi1 ; I do a fair amount of re-installing of Ubuntu versions on multiple machines, and using U1 in the manner you describe above would certainly spare me a lot of work ! I presume that you don't have to copy those configuration files one at a time for each application ; I performed a search for «.rc» in my file system and found some 94 files (including «ubuntuone.rc») ; can/should these be copied into the Ubuntu One directory (or the Shared With Me sub-directory) ? Could I prevail upon you to kindly point me to tutorials (which I presume exist) which would help me to carry out this task ?...

Henri

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 4:54 PM

You can relocate any of them to the subdirectory, and just use the 'ln' command to create a link in their old location. I generally only move/link the ones that are more cumbersome to reconfigure everywhere: bash, Quassel, radiotray, TeamSpeak, Mumble, etc.

I'm not sure there's a tutorial, but the straightforward way to do it would be:

mv ~/.bashrc ~/Ubuntu\ One/ # moves the bash config to your U1 dir

ln -s ~/Ubuntu\ One/.bashrc .bashrc # create a link in the original location

Then, on any new system you just configure Ubuntu One, then issue

rm ~/.bashrc # get rid of the default bash config

ln -s ~/Ubuntu\ One/.bashrc .bashrc # create a link to the one that should be replicating down from the cloud!

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 651
Points 5,915
mhenriday replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 3:28 PM

Thanks for the reply ; I'll definitely have to check this out !...

Henri

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS