Microsoft's Patch Tuesday Will Address 11 Vulnerabilities

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,825
Points 1,167,120
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 6 2012 11:29 AM
This month's Patch Tuesday will plug up less than a dozen vulnerabilities -- 11, to be exact -- in various flavors of Windows, Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, and other software, Microsoft announced in a Security Bulletin Advance Notification for April 2012. Microsoft issued half a dozen bulletins in all, the same number as last month, though all but two are rated "Critical" this time around.

All four Critical bulletins deal with remote code execution, one of which affects every version of Internet Explorer (6-9) on various platforms, including Windows XP, 2003, 7, and 2008, regardless of whether you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit build.

The remaining two bulletins are both deemed "Important," one of which is based on information disclosure in Microsoft Forefront Unified Access Gateway, and the other due to remote code execution in Microsoft Office. If you're planning to install them all on day of release, be prepared to restart your system, as two of them will definitely require a reboot and the other four may or may not, according to Microsoft.
  • | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35

o my gosh.. really guys? Less than half a dozen is 5 or less... a dozen =12 and half a dozen = 6. Come on now!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 266
Points 2,975

Good to know about this issues. I'll update my PC on Tuesday. I rarely use IE9 but Most of time I use Fire Fox (IE9 is ideal as back-up plan just in case the FF web browserr not working) no big deal on this issues. I like to keep my Windows 7 Pro 64 bit in full update and smooth runs.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Fri, Apr 6 2012 3:35 PM

I'm confused too:

>> "will plug up less than half a dozen vulnerabilities -- 11, to be exact -"

Is the '11' a binary number? Because otherwise that makes no sense...

>> "Microsoft issued half a dozen bulletins"

To address less than half a dozen vulnerabilities, or 11?

>> "be prepared to restart your system, as two of them will definitely require a reboot and the other four may or may not, according to Microsoft."

Jokes aside about the idiotic need to restart for non-kernel bugs, That number of patches matches neither "less than half a dozen" nor 11.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 208
Points 2,180

It was supposed to say "less than a dozen," not "less than half a dozen."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 11:17 AM

Ahhh... that makes more sense! :)

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,572
Points 103,130
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 10:43 PM

Just built a PC for someone with Win-7 64Bit on it. I spent hours and hours babysitting that thing while it downloaded updates after updates and restarted a gazillion times. Now it's chewing on Service Pack One and then it will have more updates after that.

I understand that it all works better than it used to with prior OS's from Microsoft, (a painstakingly slow process with Redmond) but I also loaded Linux Mint onto a much slower PC for someone a few days ago.

After Linux Mint loaded the OS, it started the update process on it's own. After I gave it a password to let it do it's updating, it downloaded ~everything~ all at once and applied all of it at once, in record time. It was all done and up to date in about 18 minutes.

Why can't MS (with all of those unlimited resources) work as well as the little Linux pipsqueaks do? Smile

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 24,545
digitaldd replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 9:00 AM

Anyone have any issues with the .NET updates? they caused a few PCs I manage to go into a constant reboot mode. untill you boot into safe mode and remove those patches.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS