Struggling Best Buy Aims to Cut $800 Million in Costs by Closing 50 Retail Stores

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,805
Points 1,164,560
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Mar 29 2012 11:09 AM
For you nostalgic types out there, you may want to head over to your local Best Buy electronics store and take a stroll through nerd nirvana, it could end up being the last time you do so. In reporting its fourth quarter and full year 2012 financial results, the mega electronics chain outlined a new transformation strategy that includes the closure of 50 big-box brick-and-mortar stores. It's part of a larger cost cutting initiative that Best Buy hopes will save the company $800 million by fiscal 2015.

Closing 50 retail stores is expected to cut costs by $300 million. Best Buy says it will save another $300 million by reducing its outside consultant services and eliminating 400 positions in its corporate and support areas, and pocket another $200 million by reducing production transition costs and lowering product return and exchange expenses.

Image Source: Flickr (Wonderdawg777)

While all this is going on, Best Buy plans to open 100 mobile format stores in the U.S. by the end of next year. These are cheaper to maintain, and by the end of 2016, Best Buy hopes to have anywhere from 600 to 800 mobile store fronts, up from 305 today.

"In order to help make technology work for every one of our customers and transform our business as the consumer electronics industry continues to evolve, we are taking major actions to improve our operating performance," said Brian J. Dunn, CEO of Best Buy. "As part of our multi-channel strategy, we intend to strengthen our portfolio of store formats and footprints --- closing some big box stores, modifying others to our enhanced Connected Store format, and adding Best Buy Mobile stand-alone locations --- all to provide a better shopping environment for our customers across multiple channels while increasing points of presence, and to improve performance and profitability.

"These changes will also help lower our overall cost structure. We intend to invest some of these cost savings into offering new and improved customer experiences and competitive prices --- which will help drive revenue. And, over time, we expect some of the savings will fall to the bottom line."

One can't help but remember the rapid fall of Circuit City, once a strong competitor to Best Buy up until bankruptcy forced the company to close shop. It was later picked up by Systemax, which also owns Tiger Direct and CompUSA. Where Best Buy may be able to avoid a similar fate, however, is in recognizing the growing trend towards mobile devices, and adjusting its strategy accordingly.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 427
Points 3,290
LLeCompte replied on Thu, Mar 29 2012 12:20 PM

I used to work at best buy and this doesn't surprise me. You can only fool people for so long with high prices. They did a good job redoing their geek squad protection plans on computers, but not everyone gets it because it cost a bunch.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I just love how they came in a put all the other electronics stores out of business and are now going to be closing their doors in many locations.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,817
Points 45,650
rapid1 replied on Thu, Mar 29 2012 5:50 PM

I was waiting for this one ever since Compusa and Circuit City did it. I think a lot of retail will go this way but electronics and software especially.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Mar 29 2012 7:59 PM

As long as Newegg stays around then I'm OK.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

this is not in the least bit surprising. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 11:42 AM

Eh. I've walked around in many of their stores, I'm not missing much.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I have to agree, I'm not surprised by this at all. I've boycotted Best Buy for years, thankfully I have a Fry's close by.

Now you're just mashing it!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS