Feeling the Pinch from Amazon, Walmart is Willing to Let Cash Customers Shop Online

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,182
Points 1,185,970
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Mar 21 2012 10:53 AM
For various reasons, not everyone owns a credit card or a debit card with a Mastercard or Visa logo on it. Perhaps you don't care for the concept of buying on credit, or maybe your credit rating is jacked and you either can't quality for a credit card, or can only quality for a high-interest rate card with an annual fee. Whatever the case, not having a credit card makes it difficult to shop online, particularly if you're a cash-only type of person (which rules out Paypal and online banking in general). Enter Walmart.

According to a Bloomberg report, Walmart is tired of seeing potential customers flock to Amazon and has decided to do something about its sub par e-commerce operations. Starting next month, Walmart's online portal will roll out a "Pay With Cash" plan that it hopes will appeal to the 20 percent of customers who aren't able to shop online because they lack a bank account or credit card. The way it works is you reserve a product online, pick it up at your local Wallyworld, and pay with cash.

It's one of many initiatives Walmart is putting into play to stave off the competition. The chain will use the online slogan, "Anytime, Anywhere" when all the changes go into effect, once of which will include allowing customers to be able to shop for anything that's available online or in brick-and-mortar stores using smartphones or by going up and down the aisles, Bloomberg says.

Amazon will still have the edge when it comes to sales tax (in most areas), but between already low prices and instant gratification, Walmart believes it can compete. Do you?
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345
sackyhack replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 12:13 PM

I really feel sorry for any online retailer trying to compete with Amazon. A few weeks ago, I ordered a $10 box of pens while sitting in my underwear in air-conditioning. I was am amazon-prime member, so I got free 2-day shipping right to my door. The pens were even cheaper than retail. How the hell can anyone compete with that?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 5:27 PM

I agree,Amazon is just as much an 800lb Gorilla as WalMart is.

Let them duke it out. (as long as it means better prices)

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 110

You can compete because sometimes I want it now and don't wish to wait for shipping. Many times if you don't get free shipping it ends up costing the same if you count the gas it takes to get to the store. Especially for items not readily available in the town you live.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 994
Points 14,330
Manduh replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 6:45 PM

Well at least you Americans have options.... In Canada we can only use credit cards on either site, and our online shopping selections at both are terrible compared to the US.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 7:12 PM

Sorry to hear that Manduh. While there may be more in the way of commerce down here, there is plenty to crow about life in Canada.

I loved all of my short trips across the border.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 11:39 PM

Competing in the new market has to be a bummer; I mean Wal-Mart used to be the king of retails but I guess all that bad publicity and living in the past got to them. It's nice they're offering cash but nothing can draw me away from Amazon.com; besides, Target is better.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 47,080
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 12:17 AM

TaylorKarras:
besides, Target is better

Yes, Target is better, and Costco is KING of retail, IMO!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS