Epic Demonstration Suggests a Single Kepler GPU is Faster than Three GeForce GTX 580s

rated by 0 users
This post has 32 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,793
Points 1,163,095
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Mar 10 2012 10:13 AM
Before you read any further, be sure you have a clean pair of underpants to change into, because this is the sort of thing that can make you soil yourself in excitement. Lest you think we're being absurd, consider that NVIDIA just put the smackdown on those who doubt its upcoming Kepler architecture will be anything but awesome by allowing its next-generation GPU to make a surprise appearance at Epic's panel session during the Game Developer Conference (GDC).

While there, Epic demonstrated that it's possible to run its grueling Unreal Engine 3 tech demo called "Samaritan" on a single Kepler-based graphics card. Why is that impressive?

"Samaritan has been regarded as a look into the distant future of gaming. The graphics are so advanced that it was recently regarded as a fringe demo – requiring no fewer than three GeForce GTX 580 graphics cards," NVIDIA said in a blog post. "That all changed with Epic’s demo at GDC, when it was unveiled that the Samaritan demo replaced the three GTC 580s with one Kepler GPU."

That's right folks, NVIDIA is suggesting that a single Kepler-based graphics card is as powerful as three GeForce GTX 580 videocards. And the Samaritan demo is only the tip of the iceberg. Kepler is apparently also able to power Unreal Engine 4, as demonstrated behind closed doors at GDC along with a pretty gnarly non-disclosure agreement.

"That board we ran the Samaritan demo on is the same board we're running the Unreal Engine 4 demos on," Epic Games vice president Mark Rein told Vox Games, according to The Verge. "We can get so much more out of that card than what you saw in Samaritan."

If that doesn't get you excited about Kepler, we're not sure anything will.
  • | Post Points: 200
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 3:05 PM

well it has gotten me excited.

I would like to know how it stands against the 7970.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 125
MMaddox replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 4:07 PM

I second that, really looking forward to how these cards match up (or crush) those from ATI.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 40,505
Inspector replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 6:13 PM

That sounds pretty epic, its time for HH to break one in :)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 152
Points 1,870
imAcpufan replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 6:33 PM

That's pretty cool if there will be such a jump in performance, although I wonder if the demo was optimized at all since last year. Either way it's gonna be good when kepler cards are finally available.

AMD Phenom II 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz - Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P - 4GB Corsair DDR2-1066

BFG GTX 260 - Creative Audigy 2 ZS - CM Cosmos S Case

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

drool... do want! 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,816
Points 45,645
rapid1 replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 8:50 PM

7ha7s a BA demo on my 5870 and it has to be better on a Kepler, the thing is though if it runs flawless on my 5870 then it has been tweaked. Of course I would hope the demo run in a back room at GDC was better than that specific linked demo as well. If my 5870 runs it flawlessly and I see all the trails from the guns and the welding torch on the metal and flying particles and light/fog dithering etc. then I would imagine that to be at least 200% better on a 7870 if not 400% and the Kepler is supposed to be beyond that considerably from what there saying. We will see what the difference is in actual Dave and Marco testing at that time minus the bu11shi7 from the OEM and I will make my decision then. I will say one thing though I am already looking forward to Samaritan that was one awesome demo.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
nleksan replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 9:17 PM

I am waiting for this "next gen" hardware to fully materialize for my next build, as I was so close to pulling the trigger on a 2600K/MaximusIV/6970 but held off. An Ivy Bridge i7-3770K and MaximusV will now be the backbone of my build, and I am banking on supreme OC'ing with the new architecture to hit 5ghz+ on water easy. Now it comes down to whether to go 7970 or (presumably) GTX670/80... If the new nvidia cards overclock as well as ATI, that will be nice...but I want to see real world tests, and nVidia is losing ground.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

NDA's suck....

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 9:55 PM

Is it gonna be worth the (choke) one thousand dollars (gasp)  for the card?

Maybe I'll win one of them,......

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

If this is true it is no wonder it took them this long to be bringing Keplar to the table. Somehow I don't really believe that the 680 is going to be as powerful as 3 580s I agree with everyone else the demo must have been optimized.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 8:36 AM

Can't help thinking that it might be wise to wait for a thorough test before jumping on this one. «A powerful as three GeForce GTX 580 videocards» ? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. But if, indeed, these claims are proven to be true, that could mean that prices for GTX 580 (and earlier) cards would drop, a not unwelcome developement....

Henri

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35
NBurt replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 9:40 AM

Seems kind of ridiculous if this is true. With the new consoles like Xbox running a 6670 GPU having a computer with a card that powerful would probably never be utilized atleast for the next 5-6 years since most games today are made for consoles and this is likely only going to increase in the future. My old GTS 250 can still play the newest BF3 on high settings.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 447
Points 5,270
sackyhack replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 10:25 AM

Hmm, I hope my old 9800 GT can last long enough for this come out. I used to have a GTX 470 I bought in 2010 and it was awesome, but it died this week. I'm lucky I didn't give away the 9800. I was about to buy a Galaxy 570, but depending on when Keplers are gonna come out I'll keep using the 9800 since it's still a pretty strong card. No DX11 graphics for me I guess.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 10:54 AM

I won a system here on HH that had a EVGA 2GB GTX285 in it. That 285 is still running strong, but doesn't have DX11 either. It's not much of a problem.

I almost always keep old Video cards on hand, probably for the same reason you saved yours. They're great to fall back on in a pinch.

I guess that ~if~ these new cards can really get the performance of three 580's, they'll be worth a lot of cash. But rumors of a 1K price tag make them too expensive for a lot of us peons.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 447
Points 5,270
sackyhack replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 1:21 PM

For sure. But I'm hoping after the first wave of the expensive ones, they release budget ones, sort of like the 560. I mostly use mine for gaming, and until new consoles come out, the majority of PC games are gonna be console ports that don't need that much power, so a low to mid range Kepler should be more than enough.

To be honest , as much as I like the high end stuff, a smaller, lower range card probably suits my build better anyway. The 470 was a beast and I'm pretty sure it died because of the poor ventilation in my small case. I made sure the temps never went into a danger zone, but they were consistently on the high end of the acceptable range without any OC and I think that wore it out. I'll have to do an overhaul eventually with a new case, MB, and CPU, but until then all I can afford to upgrade is a graphics card.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 6:27 PM

I agree about not really needing the best that they make. Gaming software development hasen't really caught up with the High end cards we have today. PC Hardware far outpaces what software can do usually.

While I'd love to get one of these monster cards, I really do not see it happening for me, for a long time.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 224
Points 2,390
Kiristo replied on Mon, Mar 12 2012 11:12 AM

Damn. Makes me want to make an unecessary upgrade. I have no problems with my 280, but this card sounds pretty sexy.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 70
SRubio replied on Mon, Mar 12 2012 12:00 PM

These will not be going for a grand, that price point is reserved for the GTX 690. I'm guessiing $499-$549 for a 680. Hopefully their 560/Ti replacement isn't too far off.

I have doubts about the "3X 580" performance though. Can't wait for the reviews :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Mar 12 2012 12:34 PM

We'll see about the price. I heard that from some people who are reveiwing the cards now.

If it's less then it will only be a ~few years~ instead of a lifetime before I can afford one of them. Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Mar 12 2012 10:36 PM

Simply awesome. If NVIDIA has something like this up their sleeves with an affordable price point then I could see myself buying one mainly for the fact that these cards will have loads-o-power within them; it may not replace 3 GTX 580's but it will be a worthy purchase nonetheless.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 180
Points 1,660

This doesn't seem true....

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Mar 13 2012 2:02 PM

twistedfate:
This doesn't seem true....

All we can do it wait to see if it is,.....and then see what the price is gonna be. There is just as much back and forth about it's price as there is about it's performance.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 95

This article is uninformed. The new Samaratin demo uses a different, cheaper antialiasing and thus can run faster. It's got settings changed and bears no comparison. Its like them saying the can run Crysis at more FPS on NV than AMD without telling you they dropped the resolution.

Its also worth noting that the video above is A YEAR OLD!!!!! It doesn't demonstrate Kepler at all and this is the same video NVidia use on their site.

NVidia are really making me sick with their manipulation of their customers.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 11:30 AM

Superstrung:
NVidia are really making me sick with their manipulation of their customers.

Wilted Flower Quick then, go buy three HD7970's! Wilted Flower

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 95

Yawn, are you implying I'm a fanboi? Very mature.

If thats all you took from what I wrote then by all means go find something shiny to throw your money at...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 12:09 PM

No, I though that your last sentence was a bit,...no, a lot whiny.  That's why I suggested that you buy AMD.

NVIDIA is under no obligation to you or anyone else. All they have to do is provide the product that you or I want, and maintain decent drivers for it after the sale. The kind of hype that is geneated by this piece and others is just to get you interested. If it works, great. If it does not, oh well. It's marketing, plain and simple.

I never throw my money at anything that hasn't even been released. And hardly ever before it's been out for at least 6 months.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 95

But what you really did was leave a troll comment and now your trying to play it off as a constructive suggestion.

My comments about the integrity of this article stand, its just a pity I cant express myself without childish responses.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 2:06 PM

Your comment about Nvidia treating their customers shabbily was BS buddy. I stand by that .

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 95

If you didn't have a picture next to your posts I'd assume you were an attention deprived child.

If you cant engage someone in conversation, why open your mouth at all?

Well the stage is now your for the last word.

Later Bud

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,356
Points 48,595
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 4:10 PM

Not going to get mixed up in your bickering, but you are wrong to state that the article has any misinformation. All we did was report that Epic showed off Samaritan running on a single Kepler card--which they did. And that the demo required 3 x GTX 580s to run at fluide framerates--which it did.

For what it's worth, I have personally watched this demo run on a single Kepler based card myself. I'm not about to break an embargo, but based on the specs of NVIDIA's upcoming card, you can expect in some circumstances, performance to be some level higher than two GTX 580s. You'll all know more in due time.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

Superstrung:

If you didn't have a picture next to your posts I'd assume you were an attention deprived child.

I see the irony!  Travel

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 150 Contributor