Raspberry Pi Linux Computer Hits Manufacturing Snag

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,664
Points 1,155,115
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Mar 9 2012 3:01 PM
Well, it can’t be all gumdrops and rainbows; the folks behind the tiny $25 Raspberry Pi Linux-based computer, a trendy item in tech circles that saw demand immediately outpace supply when it went up for preorder, announced that due to a small manufacturing problem, the first wave of Raspberry Pis will be delayed.

According to a company blog entry, the issue was due to “a hardware parts substitution that was made in the factory by accident: specifically, where we’d specified jacks with integrated magnetics in the BOM and schematics, the factory soldered in non-magnetic jacks.”

One of these is not like the other, which was the problem

Without the magnetic jacks, there could be no network connection. The problem is a relatively easy fix--take off the wrong jack and solder on the right one--but it’s apparently taken the group several days to identify and troubleshoot the problem and ensure that noting else was affected as a result.

Later batches may also be delayed slightly, but the Raspberry Pi team is working hard to make up for lost time. If you’re one of the first in line for your Rasperry Pi, you’ll have to wait just a little bit longer.
  • | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

What are we talking about here ?

#1 ferrite beads ?

#2 inductors ?

#3 transformers ?

Why are integrated magnetics required ?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 5:40 AM

I'm with 99guspuppet here ; could someone provide futher clarification ?...

Henri

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,370
Points 30,935
rrplay replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 8:10 AM

mhenriday:

I'm with 99guspuppet here ; could someone provide futher clarification ?...

Henri

Some clarification here

..."The foundation says that it discovered the problem with the ethernet jacks several days ago..."

more details and pics from Raspberry Pi here Manufacturing hiccup

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 9:06 AM

Thanks for the Ars Technica link, rrplay ; I have to confess that before reading the report above I was entirely unaware of the existence of any significant distinctions among RJ-45 jacks ! It would seem that the built-in transformers in magnetic jacks provide DC-isolation and help filter noise. This makes me wonder what sort of ethernet ports are installed on my onw machines - for example my Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard manual informs me that the board has a single back-panel RJ-45 LAN port (thanks for the info !), but it says nothing about magnetics. Can I just assume that it is, indeed, a magnetic jack ?...

Henri

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,370
Points 30,935
rrplay replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 9:57 AM

mhenriday:
  ... This makes me wonder what sort of ethernet ports are installed on my onw machines - for example my Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard manual informs me that the board has a single back-panel RJ-45 LAN port (thanks for the info !), but it says nothing about magnetics. Can I just assume that it is, indeed, a magnetic jack ?...

simply put "no magnetics means  no network connection "   mention in the above link>>> http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/781

so.if it is working ...it a safe bet it is.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,370
Points 30,935
rrplay replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 10:03 AM

mhenriday:
for example my Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard manual informs me that the board has a single back-panel RJ-45 LAN port (thanks for the info !), but it says nothing about magnetics. Can I just assume that it is, indeed, a magnetic jack ?...

Simply put "No magnetics means no network connection." mentioned in the above link http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/781

so if your ethernet is working it is a safe bet it bet is is.   ....nice board by the by way

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 10:49 AM

Thanks, rrplay, the board seems to be working very well with an AMD Phenom II X4 955 processor and 16 GB RAM ! But if, as the article says, «Noo magnetics means no network connection», why ever are jacks without magnetics produced ? What purpose do they serve ?...

Henri

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
KSonu replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 1:36 PM

I really like this website. Nice piece of info. Already bookmarked on my browser...http://gaztech.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,370
Points 30,935
rrplay replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 1:57 PM

mhenriday:
.. why ever are jacks without magnetics produced ? What purpose do they serve ?...

spotted a bit  more with magentics &non-magnetics with some of the posts found here like posts #6,7,8  for example for more of an explanation with the Raspberry Pi production ..etc

as to the purpose   most likely not good enough..

http://www.element14.com/community/message/46809

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Tue, Mar 13 2012 6:27 AM

Thanks, rrplay, for this link ! As the comments you mention make clear, even non-magnetic ethernet jacks do work - otherwise, as I asked above - what purpose would they serve ? - but not as well or as safely as ones with magnetic transformers. One learns a lot hanging around here on HotHardware !...

Henri

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,370
Points 30,935
rrplay replied on Tue, Mar 13 2012 6:42 AM

A bit more of the HH updated info is also here with an explanation of the jack s too

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/p/60544/425754.aspx#425754

oooops ! Where's my manners

KSonu:
I really like this website. ..

@KSonu yep me too ! I  & Welcome to HH !  :)

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS