Gone and Nearly Forgotten, Chaintech May Be Making a Comeback

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,111
Points 1,184,100
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Mar 8 2012 11:26 AM
Show of hands, how many of you remember the name Chaintech (or Walton Chaintech, if you prefer)? Don't beat yourself up if you've forgotten all about Chaintech, a once popular player in the motherboard and graphics business. The last time we featured a Chaintech product was in 2004, back when we reviewed the company's Apogee AA5700U graphics card. And the last Chaintech brand motherboard we tested was a 9CJS Zenith Series... in 2003.

Chaintech officially quit the motherboard and graphics card markets in 2006, but word on the Web is that it's looking to make a comeback. According to DigiTimes, Walton Chaintech has partnered up with a leading graphics card vendor in China called Colorful in order to return to the business of making both videocards and motherboards.

The last time we benchmarked a Chaintech motherboard was in 2003, and if the latest rumors are true, the next time could be in 2013.

As the story goes, Chaintech expects to gradually return back to branding its own products in 2013. With the help of Colorful, Chaintech will target markets outside of China and the two will eventually expand into other consumer electronics markets, though neither company said what those might be.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 358
Points 2,565

This could be interesting.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 1:39 PM

Chaintech used to have some decent equipment though I only have experience with the boards (MB) I would imagine if you can make a decent motherboard you should do OK on a GPU..

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,623
Points 103,925
MembershipAdministrator

I remember having a Chaintech mainboard a long time ago.

It was a quality part.

I wish them luck. It's a cutthroat world that they're jumping in to.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 10:34 PM

I remember having a Chaintech video card; wasn't one of the brands I remember well but I do remember them performing to expectations. Glad to see them back in the game, can't wait to see what they offer.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,571
Points 54,765
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 11:19 PM

Marco remembers, "Chaintech Reloaded"... :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,623
Points 103,925
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 11:36 PM

Dave_HH:

Marco remembers, "Chaintech Reloaded"... :)

Yes, but does he remember the Chaingun Cha-Cha?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 340
Diggity0 replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 11:44 PM

Way back in the day, me and my room mate decided to upgrade our PC's at the same time . We bought almost identical 300 Mhz Pentium II based systems, except he bought a Chaintech board and I spent $50 more and bought an abit board. A couple of years later we both decided it was time to upgrade to Pentium III cpu's and we both picked up an 750 Mhz slot 1 version of the cpu. I was able to flash my bios and pop in the cpu without issue. His board didn't support the Pentium III's 100 mhz FSB. So eventually he went to buy a new motherboard and he couldn't find a slot 1 motherboard, they had transitioned to Socket 370 and slot 1 motherboards were obsolete. So in the end he bought a new board and a 3rd cpu (he had kept the Pentium III for several months and ran it under-clocked until he saved up for a new motherboard so he wasn't able to return the slot 1 CPU.) I was able to upgrade one more time after that to a 1.1 Ghz pentium III by using a socket 370 to slot 1 adapter. So my memory of Chaintech from back in the day is that it was only a mediocre product, that being said, Abit folded a number of years ago and the quality of motherboards out there now is a lot less hit and miss then it used to be.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 10:57 AM

That's awesome!

I may have been only been 9 at the time, but I'm happy to see a company coming back and increasing the competition as it can only mean higher quality things all around

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,072
Points 11,625
Joel H replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 12:08 PM

Not only do I remember Chaintech, I remember that particular motherboard. Good board!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS