No display. At a loss.

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle Posted: Wed, Feb 29 2012 12:38 PM

I'm at a bit of a loss but I think its just something dumb. This PC was working fine, booted normally just needed to be reformatted because it was super slow and a lot of junk. It's an older system so I suggested a memory ugrade.

It was working fine when I shut it down. A few days later, Before i turn it on...I add the new memory ad take the old stick out. Now when I turn it on I can't get ay display. It seems to me as if the system is booting. When I hit the reset button, the LED on the dvd drive blinks as per normal and the system stays on. I just can't get any display. The RAM inside was 256MB DDR400, 184 pin. I took that out and put in 2 1GB sticks of DDR400. Same type just an upgrade, more memory. 

I'm a computer tech and I've fixed hundreds of PC's but once in awhile I get stumped. I took out the NEW memory and put the old stuff back in, still nothing. The monitor and all that works fine. It's connected to a KVM switch and I have other machines connected to it and when I hit the buttom, it switches fine so I know it isn't the monitor. I swapped out the PSU and HD so that isn't the problem. I even took out the battery on the mobo for 30 or 40 seconds. I double checked all connections.  The CPU is an AMD sempron. As long as the memory is the same type and the mobo can support it, it shouldn't mtter what brand name it is. But for what its worth its actually supposed to work with AMD CPU.s On the tag of the new ram is says: "AMD1400-2GK-R"     But I've upgraded AMD and Intel based machines using just 'normal' memory...corsair, kingston, etc. I don't really think that makes a difference. Besides that, as I said, I put the old stuff back on and still nothing

Is it possible when I removed the RAM I somehow damaged the slots? I've installed memory a bunch of times...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Feb 29 2012 2:27 PM

Well... did you try running it with only one stick and analyzing the slots. I don't think inserting RAM would cause the slots to break unless you forced them into their slots... There could also be a chance that you might of broke something vital; maybe the connector, maybe a circuit; I don't know. The RAM you have is compatible so I can't rule out that the RAM as the problem. If you have another motherboard, maybe you could try using that...

This is all I can think of, you're right when these problems are hard to diagnose; mostly everything can go wrong and yet the solution is something that's under our noses the entire time. It's tough to say the least.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

Did you try pulling the graphics card completely out and putting it back in the slot. I have had the graphics card get knocked slightly loose on me when installing RAM in some systems.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle replied on Wed, Feb 29 2012 7:16 PM

I tried only 1  stick. I also tried a discrete graphics card,2 actually ... no go.  The RAM slots look fine to the naked eye. What exactly could I have broken to cause no display? All the computers I've fixed and I've never 'broken' anything like that. The only other thing I'm thinking...when fooling around with the ram...maybe i knocked the heatsink/cpu a little loose? I had an old pc once and every now and again the display would crapout and you had to apply pressure on the heatsink  before powering  it on, then just let go, turit on and hope!  . Least thats what the tech at the time told me lol (thatwas years ago before i was a tech) But it used to work.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

very odd indeed, Have you tried to re-seat the cpu?

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle replied on Wed, Feb 29 2012 10:49 PM

Not yet. Tomorrow. That's my last and only hope.

I don't get it. This PC was working fine. I shut it down. A few days later...before turning it on, I took the old ram out, put the new ram in..and its been doing this.  When I went to put the new ram in I did accidentally grab a stick of DDR2 instead of DDR and for a few minutes couldn't understand why I couldn't get it in there lol. Yeah dumb ass move but it was a long day and the blonde moment only lasted for a minute! When I looked, I was like crap I grabbed the wrong stick off the desk. So I proceeded with the 2GB kit of DDR400 but...I didn't overly force it or anything. I don't get it. The only thing I can think is that when that happened, maybe when I was a tad more forceful for a second ,maybe the heatsink/cpu got loosened up from each other or something. Cause I know if it isn't properly seated, it also can causes no display issues.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle replied on Fri, Mar 2 2012 12:35 PM

Guys, I reseated the CPU a couple of times and still having the same problem. None of this stated happening until I took the old RAM out to upgrade.

This has to be related to that. But still I've installed RAM a hundred million times. Is it possible the RAM slots are damaged and is there anything at all you can do about this besides replacing the board? Just an FYI - the RAM always seemed a bit loose in the slots, a little wobbly. Even before I took out the old stick the first time it seemed that way. Even after the memory snaps in and you hear it lock, it's still kind of loose.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

Maybe the video port just deiced to give up the go when you took the ram out. Thats about the only thing I can think. You dont have a PIC video card laying around to stick in a slot and see if that fixes it do you?

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
Wendyyy replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 12:23 PM

This is all I can think of, you're right when these problems are hard to diagnose; mostly everything can go wrong and yet the solution is something that's under our noses the entire time. It's tough to say the least.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 6:06 PM

Just noticed this old post...

The problem turned out to be the motherboard. Had to be just a coincidence. Stranger things have been known to happen with PC's I guess. I replaced the motherboard in the system, installed the CPU and RAM again, all that. Booted up perfect.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS