Hard Drive Shortage to See Major Relief in Q1 2012

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,482
Points 1,196,265
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Feb 24 2012 10:38 AM
Severe floods in Thailand in late 2011 left the hard drive industry in a bad spot. It's the place where manufacturers and component suppliers come together, and when flooding occurred, HDD manufacturing came to a near halt. As a result, there was a subsequent shortage of hard drives, which itself led to higher prices that still linger today. Is there any relief in sight?

The answer is yes, sort of. According to DigiTimes, global HDD production capacity is getting ready to increase to 140-145 million units in the first quarter of 2012, or about 80 percent of where it was prior to when the flooding hit.

Choose your weapon: Price hikes for hard drives makes it easier to justify spending a premium on an SSD.

HDD production was sitting around 175 million units in the third quarter of 2011 before the floods, after which time it quickly dropped to 120-125 million units. Since then, there's been a concerted effort to restore operations to pre-flood levels. By the second quarter of this year, DigiTimes says production capacity will rise to 160 million before returning to 175 million in the third quarter.

Unfortunately, that doesn't necessarily mean prices will suddenly drop to pre-flood levels. On the contrary, higher priced components and materials means HDD prices will likely rise 30-40 percent from before the floods by the end of the year. Bummer.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 7:19 PM

Well it's a shame that Hard Drives will remain expensive but on the bright side, SSD's are getting ahead in the market; though they're still expensive as hell (especially for the bigger sizes and newer interfaces.) I guess you can never truly have it both ways when it comes to both technologies.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 140
CRay replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 3:48 AM

i had for got all about the shortage when i went to bestbuy to pick up a HD got home pulled it out of the box and the specs on the hard driver itself were of a better model sooo im like O.o ewwww so i got a better hard drive then i thought i was getting was a pretty sweet day

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 8:18 AM

I am ~so glad~ that I bought a lot of HDD's last year (as many as I could afford, as often as possible) and stuck them on the shelf. I remember thinking that prices were at an all time low and I had hoped that they wouldn't go a lot lower. Instead, the price for hard drives went through the roof. I'm set for drives until prices come back down from outer space. Smile

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS