Is Nikon Intentionally Killing the Camera Repair Business?

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,850
Points 1,171,020
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Feb 16 2012 1:56 PM
There's been some criticism over a letter Nikon started sending out recently to independent repair shops in the U.S. in which the camera maker announced that "it will no longer maker repair parts available for purchase by repair facilities that have not been authorized by Nikon Inc. to perform camera repairs," a policy that goes into effect around the middle of July. Nikon says the policy is necessary due to the complexity of today's cameras, but some have questioned the rationale.

iFixIt, a big proponent of Do-It-Yourself (DIY) repair, called the news "unnerving" and believes the policy change will only serve to make it more difficult for photographers to get Nikon equipment serviced, especially if they've been relying on a trustworthy local mom-and-pop shop.

"If you depend on your camera for work... having to mail your camera in to be fixed will cost you more than just the price of the repair: lost business, shipping costs, and time lost waiting for the Postal Service to shuttle the camera back and forth," iFixIt points out. "Plus, a major manufacturer limiting repairs to only their own approved repair shops doesn’t bode well for the future of camera repair in general. The more barriers to repair, the more likely people are to trash their broken stuff instead of trying to fix it."

iFixIt is so strongly opposed to Nikon's policy change that it's urging people "fight back" by signing an online petition, writing a letter to Nikon, tweeting @Nikon_USA, and/or calling them to let them know how you feel.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, Feb 16 2012 11:56 PM

Stuff like this kills innovation and creates waste since people can't successfully fix their own things and explore them, since with something like Nikon's new policy implemented it would make more sense just to trash it.

Petition signed by me and the rest of HotHardware should follow suit!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 3:38 AM

I hate it when people take it in house instead of letting us do it; I mean only the technically capable people are able to fix this stuff, what's the harm?

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,576
Points 103,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 8:39 AM

I have just decided to sell off my Nikon camera and lenses after reading this.

I had a repair technician tell me that Nikon is a PITA to get parts for. They take forever to actually ship the parts, and often ship the wrong part to him. The result is that it makes him look bad to his customer base.

He said that Cannon sells any parts that he needs, and ships them the same day. He told me then to sell off Nikon and buy Cannon gear.

Now I think that he was right. I'm probably gonna take a loss doing this, but I will not be dictated to by a Camera Company.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 990
Points 14,250
Manduh replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 9:22 AM

"The more barriers to repair, the more likely people are to trash their broken stuff instead of trying to fix it."

I guess they don't want to jump on the "clean and green" bandwagon.

I have a feeling once this info circulates enough, Nikon itself will start going downhill, not just the camera repair shops.

PCAudioLabs Rok Box MC 7xs - Intel Core i7-2600K - Cooling: PCAL Quiet Operation - Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard - 16GB DDR3-1333 - AMD Radeon HD 5450 - Power Supply: 600 Watts - SRT Drive: Intel 311 SSD (20GB) - Primary Drive: 500GB, 7200RPM, 16MB cache - Audio Drive: 1TB, 7200RPM, 32MB cache - Sample Drive: 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB cache - OS: Windows 7 Professional x64

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 12:16 PM

Wow ! When I saw this news, I couldn't help wondering if Apple hadn't decided to use some of its ample cash reserves to invest in Nikon. Be that as it may, a very bad move....

Henri

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,087
Points 11,005
CDeeter replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 8:22 PM

"The more barriers to repair, the more likely people are to trash their broken stuff instead of trying to fix it."

It sounds like that is what they really want, another purchase instead of selling parts. If so, I think it's a bad plan that will only hurt their rep.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
funfotos replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 9:57 AM

Hello RealNeil,

Please e-mail a list of Nikon items you are seeking to sell, along with your asking price. Thank you... Funfotos@msn.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,576
Points 103,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 10:30 AM

funfotos:

Hello RealNeil,

Please e-mail a list of Nikon items you are seeking to sell, along with your asking price. Thank you... Funfotos@msn.com

It seems that my kids are interested in the Nikons. If they decide that they do not want them and the special deal that they'll get,..Wink...I'll send you an e-Mail.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS