Noctua's DH-14 CPU Cooler, Sandy Bridge-E Tested and Burned In

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,760
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Feb 14 2012 1:13 PM
A few months back, we examined the performance of four liquid coolers for the Sandy Bridge-E socket LGA 2011 platform: Corsair's H80 and H100, Maingear's Epic 180, and Intel's own reference cooler. Liquid coolers are popular with high-end OEMs and some enthusiasts, but they aren't cheap -- and there's a certain group of enthusiasts who aren't comfortable with flowing liquid in their systems.

Recently, we spoke with the team at Noctua, who offered to send us one of its high-end air coolers for comparison. We've been curious about the company since it came across our radar with its upgrade offer for anyone upgrading to Socket 2011 last year.

The Noctua DH-14 is a mammoth air cooler that competes performance-wise with many self-contained liquid coolers.  Check it out...
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 2:24 PM

These guys have a fantastic reputation, and this cooler is considered by many to be the best in Air Cooling.

One thing that I noticed was that you have the cooler pointed straight up, with the air intake quite close to the video card. Most of the enthusiast's installations of this cooler that I've seen in the past have the cooler pointed so that the air flows out the backside of the case. (pointed right to left)  They say that the cooler's performance is increased by doing it this way.

Noctua has a kit available for mounting some of their coolers 90 degrees from stock orientation, but this cooler may be able to do that right out of the box.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

Thats a BIG HS, I use to have a noctua HS back in the day it worked quite well. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 4:16 AM

Noctua coolers are always the best kind of coolers but they've always been known to be big and clunky, and for good reason. I have never had the space in order to justify having one but I always see the results in these CPU coolers and I'm reminded as to why Noctua is so popular/good. This is no exception; the latest in the long line of Noctua coolers proves itself without really trying and even though it's so massive and hard to install, it's worth it for superior temps and superior noise.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 12:56 PM

This company Phanteks is giving Noctua a real run for their money.

See Here.

It's said that they actually beat the NDH-14 cooling performance because of a coating they have put on the fins. They come in four colors too.

Phanteks PH-TC14PE 140mm UFB (Updraft Floating Balance) CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC14PE_OR 140mm UFB (Updraft Floating Balance) CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD 140mm UFB (Updraft Floating Balance) CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 140mm UFB (Updraft Floating Balance) CPU Cooler

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,365
Points 30,865
rrplay replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 5:37 PM

Thanks for the solid and enjoyable review ,, I suppose if I were to honestly have a choice between the the Noctua DH-14 and the Phanteks in the neils post, I would choose the Phantek ,simply because they may perform a bit better and having the choice of colers would seal the deal for me.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS