Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HD Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,210,145
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Feb 9 2012 12:11 PM

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HD ReviewWhen it comes to adding a performance-enhancing upgrade to your system, a good SSD can’t be beat, but storage capacity is an ever-growing need as well. There was a time when a 1TB drive seemed grossly (deliciously?) excessive for the average user, but these days anything less than 500GB seems woefully undersized. Even casual users who play a few games, shoot a little video here and there, and maintain a modest music library need lots of storage.

HDDs continue to increase in capacity yet remain reasonably priced in light of solid state offerings, to the point that you can have yourself a multiple-terabyte drive for a couple hundred bucks or less. Today we’re taking a look at one such HDD, the Seagate Barracuda 3TB...

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HD Review

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator

I like this drive. While it trades blows with the Hitachi drive through much of your testing, I'm more used to the Seagate name.

I do have a Hitachi 1TB drive here, and it's been reliable so far,.....but I have a whole lot of Seagate drives that are still within their 5year warranty.

Only one of them ever died and Seagate replaced it right away for me.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 81
Points 600
deadmanet replied on Fri, Feb 10 2012 7:52 AM

I agree with ya there, I've always used either Seagate or Maxtor. I've never had an issue with either of them. Usually depended on what was cheaper at the time I was looking. As a matter of fact the hd's in my rig right now are Maxtor for one, and Seagate for the other. Have been abusing both for a long time, with lots of installs, etc.(Play a LOT of different online games) And they both are still running great. Wouldn't mind adding this to my build, starting to run out of room.(Only 200 gbs each) :-P

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

Considering HD prices at this time, the 3TB Barracuda model is very cheap. I should buy one soon for back up purposes.

@Neil agreed, most of the hard drives that I have owned are Seagate, extremely reliable. If a hard drive is going to fail , it usually happen in the first week which in my experience, that has been the situation. I only had three fail ever, and trust me , I have bought plenty.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Feb 10 2012 10:49 PM

realneil:

I like this drive. While it trades blows with the Hitachi drive through much of your testing, I'm more used to the Seagate name.

Have to agree, the Seagate harddrive bought in 2006 is still going as strong as it possibly can; they're not as unreliable as people make them out to be.

Relating to the hard drive, it's nice. I don't care much about the write speeds so the read speeds should entice me quite a bit... $200 is a bit much but in terms of hard drive prices out there today, it's actually pretty cheap. I wouldn't mind picking up two of these for myself. Seth does a nice detailed review as always; everything is clean, detailed and informative, one of the things that make this one of the best hardware sites in existence.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
nick4st replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 10:40 AM

My 500 GB seagate Barracuda drive failed a few months after purchase. I started hearing weird noises and later the computer would just hang. I upgraded the firmware and while it helped a little, it still stops spinning occasionally. In my country we have week consumer protection laws so I can't return it. I'll try Western Digital next time.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 7:59 PM

thanks for the review and appreciate how solid and concise it is..

I have the Barracuda® XT SATA 6Gb/s 3TB Hard Drive Model # ST330000651AS in the HH Labor Day rig, purring right along without a hitch.

So Thanks Again HH for the sweet rig Smile   it is solid and reliable drive and would recommend it to others.without reservation for a 3TB drive.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Feb 19 2012 9:22 PM

nick4st:
My 500 GB seagate Barracuda drive failed a few months after purchase. I started hearing weird noises and later the computer would just hang. I upgraded the firmware and while it helped a little, it still stops spinning occasionally. In my country we have week consumer protection laws so I can't return it. I'll try Western Digital next time.

Try using SeaTools to diagnose your hard drive and fix problems. It can repair certain anomalies and restore proper function sometimes. It's a free download at Seagate.com.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS