Canalys Report Sees Apple Leading PC Makers In Q4 2011 (When You Include iPad)

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,696
Points 1,157,050
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jan 30 2012 7:11 PM
Apple may be closer than you think to true worldwide PC domination. While the company has long-since dropped the "Computer" from "Apple Computer," evidently things are looking up on the PC side. Microsoft has held a huge, huge advantage in the desktop OS marketshare race for years, even as the iPod demolished the Zune and iCloud and trampling over Microsoft's cloud services. But according to research firm Canalys, Apple has become the worldwide client PC vendor in Q4 2011. That's right. We aren't talking about phones; we're talking about PCs. The trick here is to include tablets in the "PC" category.

Apple shipped over 15 million iPads and five million Macs, representing 17% of the total 120 million client PCs shipped globally in Q4. Overall, the total client PC market, including desktops, netbooks, notebooks, and pads grew 16% year-on-year. Excluding pads, the client PC market declined 0.4%. Read that again -- if you delete tablets from the equation, the PC market actually shrank in Q4 2011. Wow.

Among the other top five PC vendors, only Lenovo managed to increase its market share, by a relatively modest two points, compared to Apple's six-point gain over the same quarter a year ago. Acer, Dell and HP – the hardest hit – all lost market share. Now the second largest client PC vendor worldwide, HP will struggle to compete with Apple following the end of its Touchpad. Lenovo continued to close the gap on HP, thanks to successful investment outside of core markets. The acquisition of Medion in Germany helped Lenovo double its shipments in Western Europe during the second half of 2011. The vendor's decision to use Android for enterprise and consumer pads gives it a better opportunity than HP to continue gaining market share.  Dell placed fourth among the top five PC vendors, followed by Acer. Acer's shipments continued to decline, as a result of the pad's impact on the netbook market. It did, however, make headlines at the 2012 International Consumer Electronics Show in January, when it revealed its S5 Ultrabook. Unsurprisingly, Acer and other vendors have been quick to announce their support for the new Ultrabook form factor, with the view of driving innovation and renewed customer interest in notebooks.

Bottom line? Apple's making a run on PC vendors, and they're using an entirely new product category to do so. Can anyone stop the iPad?

• | Post Points: 125
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 416
Points 3,205
LLeCompte replied on Tue, Jan 31 2012 1:17 AM

The iPad isnt a PC. I know tons of people are buying them because its all they need, but you cant count it as a PC. At least in my book you cant.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

I agree with you and i was about to post that :) LLecompte. I don't know why people keep counting i as a pc O_o

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

If you connect a bluetooth keyboard to the iPad, then you essentially have a mini-PC :)

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Tue, Jan 31 2012 7:47 AM

With every tablet there will be an instance where you want to do something and you cant because there isn't an app for it, then you'll wish you had an actual pc. Plus gaming on the tablet can be fun but it doesnt compare to gaming on an actual pc.

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 720

iPad's are "taking over" the PC market as much as the Nintendo Wii "took over" the gaming market. Yes, the market exists and it's very popular, but it's no real threat to the the established consumer base for the respective markets.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Jan 31 2012 10:22 AM

Well it's certainly interesting that Apple is leading the market but as everybody else said, the iPad is not a fully fledged PC per say; it can do some stuff that the PC can do but it can't do everything that the PC can do. It's somewhat of a cheat but still, it's interesting.

It's nice that Levono is getting bigger and bigger but it's a shame that all of the major PC manufacturers have fallen in the past few years; I'm guessing the fact that they want more of a trustworthy/reliable brand has something to do with it.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,630

As everyone else has said the iPad is not a PC... I don't know of anyone who has bought a tablet instead of a PC only people who have bought them as supplemental devices and with the Windows based ultrabooks coming to maket people may just opt for those over the iPad.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS