North Carolina Launches First Commercial 'Super Wi-Fi' Network

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,850
Points 1,171,035
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jan 27 2012 2:51 PM
Hey look, North Carolinians, it's a bird... It's a plane ... no, it's the Super WI-Fi! Or, if you want get all technical about it, it's actually the world's first commercial TV White Space (TVWS) network, but Super Wi-Fi, as it's commonly referred to, sounds so much better, even though -- again, technically -- it's not really Wi-Fi since it utilizes the so-called 'white-space' spectrum originally reserved for analog TV bands. It's even slower than regular Wi-Fi, but is able to travel much greater distances and is better at penetrating obstacles, hence the Super Wi-Fi nomenclature.

"We are extremely pleased with the installations of the white spaces systems at our parks and gardens," said Ted Davis, Chairman of New Hanover County. "This technology has proven to be an unobtrusive, environmentally friendly way to offer services to our citizens and the visitors at our parks and to give our staff more efficient ways to manage these locations."

The Super Wi-Fi / TVWS rollout will provide residents living in certain parts of North Carolina with Internet access in places where it was previously unavailable, such as local parks, as well as provide the bandwidth needed for video security surveillance.

"It's exciting to see the first commercial network go live in Wilmington utilizing this unlicensed TV Band spectrum," said Rod Dir, CEO of Spectrum Bridge. "With the explosive demand for spectrum and technology now available to enable more bandwidth, this is a big step forward in developing the next multi-billion dollar market driven by the innovation of new wireless services."
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 427
Points 3,290
LLeCompte replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 3:47 PM

So this is basically like 2g service for a cell phone, only over wifi. This is a cool idea, this would give everyone a chance to have interwebs all over town.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 4:23 PM

yeah so everyone who cant afford 4G isnt left out.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 4:25 PM

The important part of this article: "The Super Wi-Fi / TVWS rollout will provide ... the bandwidth needed for video security surveillance."

Welcome to 1984, North Carolina.

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 720

I guess this is great for a lot of people that can't get intarwebs any other way! There are still millions of people on AOL dialup alone, so I'm sure there's a huge demand for this.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,576
Points 103,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 10:21 PM

I was stuck on dial-up for years when I lived in an out of the way place in the mountains. It sucked big time.

When I finally moved to where a Cable connection was available, it was a little like hatching from an egg. Wink

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 720

I still remember having SegaNet way back in 2001 when I was in college. I played Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast with it. It was awesome! I can't even imagine having to use dialup now. I guess you'd be able to get by with using the mobile versions of websites.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 11:57 PM

This sounds awesome for tablet users that don't have a 3g/4g connection.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

What difference does it make if the service is going to provide bandwidth for video surveillance. They are going to be providing a service for their community and we are already recorded on video surveillance hundreds of times a day as it is... so whats a few more.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,576
Points 103,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 11:04 AM

omegadraco:
What difference does it make if the service is going to provide bandwidth for video surveillance.

If I thought that I was going to be in an area that had a lot of video survailence, I'd invest in some 'very colorful' printed T-Shirts. If they're gonna be watching me, they're gonna see what I want them to,...........Smile

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

Great news for North Carolina. Hopefully, this commercial launch will be a stepping stone for other launches across the states.

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS