ARCTIC COOLING Accelero XTREME Plus II

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 380
jtheater Posted: Tue, Jan 24 2012 10:41 PM

This really isn't a review but more like advice.   

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186048

I recently purchased this GPU cooler because I couldn't stand the noise coming from my 6970.  It was just unbearable.  I decided on picking this up to help alleviate the C130 taking off in my case.  It worked flawlessly, except the installation process.  I just want to let you all know what I did.  

1. I bought these for my larger RAM heatsinks cause the crap they give you (aka thermal glue) is literally poo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708009 These copper heatsinks stick and stay and you feel more secure since you know they won't fall off.  

2.  I used these for your smaller heatsinks: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708011 These are a little taller than the ones listed above but filing them down or Dremmel time works well.   Like I said, stick and stay, sense of security.  

3.  The preapplied thermal paste didn't line up with the GPU chip.  I found out the hard way by seeing the temps rise on my card.  Hence, my system shut down.  Scrape that stuff off and apply your favorite (Artic Silver 5) thermal paste directly on the chip to avoid what I did.  

All in all, I am happy and had some lessons learned accomplishing this task.  My load temps dropped from 80-90 to 50-55.  Literally silent to say the least.  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.  I may not know the exact lingo for all PC parts, but i will try and steer you in the right direction.   

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 11:49 PM

Good advice; few things. The thermal paste is Artic Silver 5, wouldn't make much sense to reapply unless they got the spread wrong. Secondly, surprised to see some improvments. I thought the limit had been reached by the previous Xtreme plus. Thirdly, how much airflow did you have flowing through your system. I had one of these cards with temps that were considerably higher. How much airflow would you say is necessary for these cards to work properly?

Hope you have fun with your Accelero Xtreme Plus II cooler.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 380
jtheater replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 10:57 AM

Hey Taylor!  I have no doubt that ARCTIC put some good thermal paste on their product, but it didn't line up correctly with my GPU chip.  Just to be safe, I recommend applying it yourself.  It was a drastic inprovement in both temps and sound.  I was more about the sound overall though.  I have plenty of airflow in the Level 10 GT.  Not to mention the 200mm fan blowing directly onto the card.  Don't know how much you would actually need though.   I should take a picture of the finished product, but not 100% sure on how to post it on the forums. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

Hey that is some pretty nice upgrade there, ARCTIC COOLING Accelero XTREME Plus II Fluid Dynamic is just  a + since the cooler that AMD brings to the table for the 7970  just SUCKS!  And i agree with taylor 

I will like to  know if you overclocked your graphics cards, are those fans running at the max? and how are the temps of this gpu cooler compared with the stock cooler? Thanks for the share :)

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 380
jtheater replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 12:01 PM

I did not OC the graphics card.  Idle temp with stock cooler were 46-49.  ARCTIC brought those down to 32-34.  Ran Kumbustor on stock cooler for 3 minutes I was seeing temp up to about 85-90.  With the ARCTIC, max temp was 61 with fans @ 100%. 

I should have written them down to be more accurate but there is a huge difference.  I left my fans running @ 100% and they are virtually silent.  You will not be disappointed with the results.  

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

It was useful for me that was some crazy  temps cooled down :) Ok man Thanks you for the reply and the info.That's what we need in this forums  active members

good luck with your new upgrades :)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,422
Points 102,050
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 12:23 PM

jtheater:
I should take a picture of the finished product, but not 100% sure on how to post it on the forums. 

This link will explain how to post your pictures to our site. 

SEE HERE

I like the mod that you did. Better cooling with a substantial reduction in noise is a win-win combination.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 380
jtheater replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 12:50 PM

Thanks for the info realneil.  I have the before pics and will post the after pics when I get home.  It's not much, but kinda gives people an idea of what they will see. 

I may have to clean it first.  :)

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 380
jtheater replied on Tue, Jan 31 2012 11:55 PM

Been a little hectic here.  Getting these pics posted soon. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS