AMD A8-3870K Unlocked Llano Quad-Core APU Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,496
Points 1,196,660
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jan 24 2012 12:41 PM

AMD A8-3870K Unlocked Llano Quad-Core APU ReviewThe original A-Series APU line-up didn’t feature any enthusiast-targeted products, but AMD quickly reacted to the A-Series’ mostly favorable reception with a new flagship, dubbed the A8-3870K Black Edition, which we’ll be showing you here today. In its default configuration, the A8-3870K is a slight upgrade from the A8-3850, thanks to a small increase in its default CPU frequency. The “K” in its part number, however, means the chip is unlocked, which makes for some interesting overclocking. When paired to the right motherboard, which features an updated BIOS / UEFI that fully supports the A8-3870K, this APU is able to hang with some of AMD’s fastest quad-core desktop processors, while also offering discrete-class GPU performance...

AMD A8-3870K Unlocked Llano Quad-Core APU Review

• | Post Points: 170
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

YAY A8-3870K Black Edition smashes intel's HD graphics but A8-3870K Black Edition losses when it comes to General Compute Performance.

Nice Review!

"It's not only the CPU multipliers that are unlocked though, but the GPU and memory speed multipliers too."  

cool because must of the unlocked black edition come with just the cpu multiplier unlocked only. 
Hardcore gamers/enthusiast  won't buy this product...

Hey wasn't intel the first come come with "k" in its processors? Is Amd Copying it? just wonder reply me for the answer :)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

Very decent chip for the price, with a a better cooler and some time, people will be able to push GPU frequency a bit further and squeeze some extra performance. At first I didn't like it or mis-understood the purpose of theses chips, but I respect it. Would have been cool to see how Battlefield 3 runs on this.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

yea but remember  pushing it a bit further  means more watts and better performance. What do you mean  ''mis-understood the purpose of theses chips''?  you don't know why is it good or what is different from others?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 1:56 PM

OptimusPrimeTime:
At first I didn't like it or mis-understood the purpose of theses chips,

OptimusPrimeTime:
be able to push GPU frequency a bit further and squeeze some extra performance

You answered your own question except for the "It Costs Less" part. Smile

I have an A8-3850 and a A6-3300 APU too. Both have the hybrid crossfire setup with a Radeon HD6670 in each one of them to bolster graphics performance.

They do not game with settings on full for modern games, but if you turn the eye candy down a little, they game acceptably.

They really shine in an office environment and multimedia applications. They're rockin' USB 3.0 and SATA-III capabilities too. They are both installed into ASRock brand Mainboards that have the ability to charge your USB devices, even when the PS is turned off.

With these PC's, you get completely acceptable performance for not a lot of cash, and ~that's~ their value.

cowboyspace:
Hardcore gamers/enthusiast  won't buy this product...

It isn't geared towards that market. Before these were introduced, there was a gaping hole in the low cost PC segment. You couldn't get a decent low cost PC with good onboard graphics that could do DX-11 properly. These APU's filled that need perfectly, and as such, they are a success story for AMD. Sales are good and AMD is making money from them.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 715

thoughts for a home media server. or even htpc?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 2:17 PM

stubblep00:
thoughts for a home media server. or even htpc?

Yes,.......I was originally going to sell these two systems and buy better video cards for my gaming boxes with the money,............but I've decided to set one of them up in my wife's office (the A8) for her to use, and the other is going into my bedroom (the A6) as an HTCP box.

They are fast enough and of good quality too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

@ realneil Thanks you for your replies :) But i was just making a point for those who doesn't know much about it(novice) i know it isn't geared towards that market, And i have a question can you use an APU and a discrete graphics card together? for better performance? or you have to disable your cpu integrated graphics in order to use the discrete one?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 3:33 PM

cowboyspace:
i have a question can you use an APU and a discrete graphics card together? for better performance?

Yes, it's one of the selling points.

One of the features that an APU based system brings to the table is an ability to run Hybrid Crossfire. The FM1 Motherboards work in conjunction with the AMD APU's graphic's capabilities to deliver ~better than Intel's~ onboard graphics.

Then, if you add the PROPER discrete Radeon video card into your PCI-E bus, you can enable that card to crossfire with your onboard graphics for a faster experiance. The fastest card that works this way is any Radeon HD6670 DX-11 based card. I'm not sure what the slowest one is,....I just bought a couple of HD6670's for my two systems.

Once you install the discrete card and set the BIOS properly, you can boot into Windows and enable crossfire performance from within Catalyst Control Center, or Vision Control Center.

This is not a full blown gaming solution, but it works pretty good for not a lot of money.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,363
Points 48,690
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 4:04 PM

It' a 100W chip, so it may not be ideal for all HTPCs, but if using a chassis that can accomodate a large / quiet cooler, Llano is a good fit. For ultra small form factors, a 35W CPU like the 2100T may be a better fit, although you'd lose some gaming performance, obviously.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 4:17 PM

Marco C:
It' a 100W chip, so it may not be ideal for all HTPCs, but if using a chassis that can accomodate a large / quiet cooler, Llano is a good fit. For ultra small form factors, a 35W CPU like the 2100T may be a better fit, although you'd lose some gaming performance, obviously.

I've got room in an out of the way place for the case that it's already in. So that's not a problem for me. I used a Corsair H50 cooler for it that has two Cougar Vortex PWM fans on it, so it's mostly quiet too.

I will not be using it for games, and decided to use it since I already have it here. Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Very interesting it certainly does seem like AMD is copying Intels Model numbering. But the cool this about that is it makes it easy to tell the chip is unlocked. I would certainly consider one of the AMD APU's for most of my needs. I would love to see the computer labs in my school running APUs like these.

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 510
DHampton replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 11:45 PM

For extreme budget pcs they are great processors. Not having to really on some crappy integrated or having to buy a extra video card. Especially with portable devices friend bought laptop and can play any game on it not max settings but for a under $500 laptop to game most games with decent settings and play any game on market is awesome. Especially considering it doesnt take alot of power so you dont have to be plugged into socket almost constantly to use it.

Crossfire is a little underwhelming have noticed improved physx performance and less lag spikes but overall nothing to increase it to much.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

Ummmm cool i thought hybrid crossfire was only possible with the MOBO integrated graphics O-o but thanks you i leaened something new today :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 12:06 PM

cowboyspace:
i thought hybrid crossfire was only possible with the MOBO integrated graphics

That is correct, Hybrid Crossfire IS the onboard graphics being used in conjunction with 1 discrete Video Card at the same time. (note that the onboard graphics are a combination of parts included on the motherboard working together with the GPU that is built into the AMD APU)

That said, note that many of these FM1 boards will run traditional Crossfire with two discrete Video Cards (or three of them) installed at the same time, but the onboard graphics are not part of that equation. (it is disabled by default)

DHampton:
have noticed improved physx performance

PhysX is not enabled on AMD graphics, it's NVIDIA's technology and only runs with NVIDIA GPU's. (unless some sort of hack is employed to enable it)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

umm pretty interesting :) and helpful.

"PhysX is not enabled on AMD graphics, it's NVIDIA's technology and only runs with NVIDIA GPU's"  that is correct but i didnt know there were hacks to do enable those things O_O like really lol  (is  to unlock a gpu voltage a hack like the one in msi afterburner?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 1:04 PM

Afterburner is a legitimate program sponsored by a reputable manufacturer.

Hacks are hacks. You do a Google search for them and go to whatever site to get them. They may be on the up & up, but you may be treading on dangerous ground when you navigate to sites that have hacks available.   (this is how some people are infected with new and exciting exploits and malware)

I don't go to such sites, and I don't recommend it either. But they do exist, and they offer all sorts of tweaks that break the rules.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 1:08 PM

When it comes to my ideal PC I'm all about gaming performance and speed. The AMD's APU are some great pieces of technology for the price. I have an A6 3500 that I will put in a build most likely in the coming months; I just need to figure out which family member needs it most and will get the best use.

"I have the power!!"

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 65
Obsurd replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 1:46 PM

I was walking around future shop a while ago and seen a couple low cost and small cased PCs rocking these was surprised. My buddy just got one and hes been playing Tf2 and borderlands with me and hes not on low settings he said around high -med on most but never maxed which is still impressive considering he paid half as much as me and i just upgraded parts on mine lol.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

" You do a Google search for them and go to whatever site to get them" i didn't say i wanted those hacks O_o

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Jan 26 2012 9:11 AM

cowboyspace:
i didn't say i wanted those hacks

Did I say that you wanted those hacks?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

did you see  what i quoted? but nevermind you didn't say it i guess :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Jan 26 2012 4:26 PM

cowboyspace:
did you see  what i quoted?

THIS: "i didnt know there were hacks to do enable those things O_O like really lol  (is  to unlock a gpu voltage a hack like the one in msi afterburner?"

I suggested Google Search to answer questions you may have, that's all.

We do not provide or allow links to be posted to sites that host hacks here at HH. It's a liability issue. (and yeah, I already know that you didn't post any links to Hacks, I'm just making a point for all)

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 720

Wow I'm really surprised at the price to performance! Simply perfect for a laptop solution to save power. I think I may be seeing AMD in my future for a laptop...

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 115
xmd5 replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 1:01 AM

You would think their most expensive unlocked black edition APU would at least come with the same heatsink FX4100 does, but it comes with same heatsink bundled with a sempron

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

i didn't mean to say that msi afterburner is a hack  i just tried to say, if gpu hack is like things that msi afterburner have to unlock the gpu voltage i was  just taking msi afterburner as an example  sorry, but my bad english most of the time confuse native speakers :)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
JShamone replied on Sat, Jul 7 2012 12:18 PM

All i want to know is the size of the fan included, i want to buy a THERMALTAKE ELEMENT Q MINI-ITX 220W BLACK and it only has 5 cm hight space for the fan...

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 115
LSanoy replied on Thu, Aug 2 2012 5:25 AM

wow. a good performing yet cheaper alternative processor

Page 1 of 1 (28 items) | RSS