Shortcuts

AMD Fusion APU and Graphics Update: Trinity, 7000M Mobile GPUs, Android on X86 and Lightning Bolt

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,162
Points 1,185,510
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jan 10 2012 9:19 PM

We’re still fighting our way through the insanity that is the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas, but wanted to take a break to share some more juicy news with you all. We just got out of a meeting with the folks at AMD in which they showed us some current and future APU offerings, new I/O technology, and provided a bit of info regarding upcoming Radeon HD 7000M series graphics processors.

First up we have a video showing an upcoming Trinity APU in action. We don’t want to give away the “ah ha” moment in the video, but what’s interesting—along with the actual demo—is that AMD already has Trinity up and running, and running well as you’ll see. Particulars like clock speeds and the GPU configuration weren’t disclosed, but we can tell you that the Trinity APU in the notebook used during the demo was a 17w variant, and as AMD has already disclosed, the Trinity APU sports quad Piledriver cores, an update to Bulldozer that should offer better performance though not only architectural enhancements but frequency increases as well.

In a backroom session in which we weren’t able to snap any photos, AMD also showed us some interesting I/O technology, currently codenamed “Lightning Bolt” (not to be confused with Intel’s Thunderbolt). With Lightning Bolt, AMD aims to offer the ultimate docking station of sorts for AMD-based mobile devices. Using a $40-ish hub, users will be able to connect a single DisplayPort 1.2 cable to a mobile PC to not only charge the system, but to connect it to up to four external displays and multiple external USB 3.0 devices.

In another backdoor session, we also got a chance to see a number of Radeon HD 7000M series GPUs up and running. As has already been disclosed, the first wave of Radeon HD 7000M GPUs will be 40nm parts based on the AMD’s VLIW5 architecture, like the existing Radeon HD 6000M series parts. But we also saw a couple of new, 28nm mobile GPUs (running in both standalone and CrossFire configurations) based on the Pitcairn asic that feature AMD’s Graphics Core Next, which debuted in the Radeon HD 7970.

AMD also had a number of other devices on hand running various Oses and apps. They showed an alpha version of a Metro-style AMD Vision Control Center, running on a Windows 8 tablet streaming video to an HDTV. AMD also had a beta version of the Blue-Stacks Android App player running on a Windows 8-based PC. If you’re unfamiliar with BlueStacks, it gives users the ability to run Android apps on a Windows PC in a virtualized Android environment, and with the Windows 8 beta version, users can simply add shortcuts to the Metro interface to directly launch the apps.

Another very cool demo in the AMD booth featured an MSI-built, AMD-based tablet PC running Android 4, Ice Cream Sandwich. The 10-inch MSI WindPad used in the demo was outfitted with an AMD Z-Series Z-01 (1.0GHz) CPU, 4GB of DDR3 Memory, and Radeon HD 6250-series graphics. As you’ll see in the video, ICS ran well on the tablet and was smooth and responsive. Although still an early alpha that wasn’t fully functional, hardware acceleration was working, as is evidenced by the silky smooth graphics and scrolling.

Stay tuned into HH for more CES news as it unfolds.

• | Post Points: 155
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 47,065
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 10:51 PM

Oh YEAH, BABY! I'm looking to purchase a new laptop, and as much as I like the looks of the Ultrabook format, the AMD fusion A6 and A8 platforms at $400-$560 seems to make more sense to me. I just love the part in the video when that PC case is opened to reveal a laptop! I think I'll wait a bit before I purchase to see if Trinity comes available in an Ultrabook-like chassis, though. Thanks for the awesome report, Dave and Marco!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 11:16 PM

I liked that video but the video had a image of the laptop inside of the computer before it started.

Cant wait to see how laptop graphics become in the coming years.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 47,065
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 11:52 PM

fat78:
I liked that video but the video had a image of the laptop inside of the computer before it started.

Yeah...that kinda spoiled the surprise, but it was still epic!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

Hi, you posted the same video twice instead of posting the tablet video :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,587
Points 54,890
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Jan 11 2012 4:12 AM

Ahh the joys of unbelievably crappy hotel WiFi. Sorry, fixed!

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,587
Points 54,890
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Jan 11 2012 4:14 AM

Fixed that up too. No more spoilers for you! :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,085
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Jan 11 2012 8:28 PM

That Laptop is impressive!

I really like that kind of performance on a budget too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,101
Points 11,165
CDeeter replied on Wed, Jan 11 2012 9:42 PM

Did you guys catch that - it will run in "ultra thin" notebooks! Looks like Intel won't be the only game in the ultrabook space for long he he he.

Thanks for the vid Dave!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
TClark replied on Wed, Jan 11 2012 10:31 PM

thats hot i want one

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 994
Points 14,330
Manduh replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 3:13 PM

Very impressive!! Talk about multitasking at it's best :D

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

Amd and its Nuclear Bomb getting ready sorry intel :-p

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 910

Trinity looks really, really good. Looks like they've sorted out some of the problems with Bulldozer's first wave. All of that on a 17W variant!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

That's why i Wait for reviews first before buying  a product :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,381
Points 31,040
rrplay replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 4:17 PM

Super Dave:

Oh YEAH, BABY! I'm looking to purchase a new laptop, and as much as I like the looks of the Ultrabook format, the AMD fusion A6 and A8 platforms at $400-$560 seems to make more sense to me. I just love the part in the video when that PC case is opened to reveal a laptop! I think I'll wait a bit before I purchase to see if Trinity comes available in an Ultrabook-like chassis, though. Thanks for the awesome report, Dave and Marco!

Looks like AMD is getting ready to launch the Trinity platform on ultrabooks at a lower cost.

AMD to launch ultrabook platform with lower cost

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120116PD219.html

the other AMD CES I happen to spot and share is this one with that laptop inside and some very nice multitasking going on

Sure am excited and looking forward to all that's coming out our way in 2012    & thanks for the excellent coverage.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 47,065
ForumsAdministrator

Thanks for that, rrplay. So now I don't want an Intel Ultrabook; instead I want an AMD Ultrathin! I really liked what they wrote in the article:

"However, some notebook vendors are also concerned that AMD's Ultrathin machines could cause a rapid price drop of ultrabook models."

Haha...AMD helping to keep the prices down - as usual!Smile

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,381
Points 31,040
rrplay replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 6:10 PM

Super Dave:

"However, some notebook vendors are also concerned that AMD's Ultrathin machines could cause a rapid price drop of ultrabook models."

Haha...AMD helping to keep the prices down - as usual!Smile

Looks like a win -  win scenario with very good multimedia / multitasking  performance ..along with some that all important ca$h left in the pocket for more important thing like ...<whatever> really Smile

here is a bit more of AMD at CES 2012 for those interested

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8EC36B59CC3AC6C1 along with some images here

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjxSo9L2

ooops  where's my manners !  >>>would like the thank Jon Peters over at AMD for shooting me the above  links yesterday when I verified the DigiTimes article.

Thank You  AMD !

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 495
Points 4,825

Since when its a mistery that amd is owning intel with their APU.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 105
JZitting replied on Mon, Jan 23 2012 2:37 AM

wow the graphics and capacity of computers nowadays is getting more and more amazing. not just with AMD either.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS