Acer's Aspire Timeline Ultra Rocks the Mobile Nightlife for 8 Hours Straight

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,802
Points 1,164,020
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jan 8 2012 10:00 PM
Acer's been in the Ultrabook game since the day it started (which wasn't very long ago) and rolled out the first model back in September. Apparently pleased with the reception and feeling encouraged about the form factor's future, Acer bounces into the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) with new Ultrabook models in tow.

One of them is the new Aspire S5, purportedly the world's thinnest Ultrabook to date and the first to feature a Thunderbolt port. The other is the Aspire Timeline Ultra series. The Timeline Ultra ships in 14-inch and 15-inch models, both of which boast a combination of up to eight hours of battery life, high performance, and a "2-spindle" design. It also features an optical drive.

The Timeline Ultra isn't the thinnest on the planet at 20mm, but it is skinnier than earlier generation Ultrabooks, Acer says. Specs are fairly sparse at the moment, but include:
  • Intel Core i Series processors
  • SSD/HDD storage option
  • Dolby Home Theater v4 surround sound
  • HDMI; USB 3.0
  • DVD burner

Acer also baked in a couple of proprietary technologies, including Acer Green Instant On for fast boot and resume, and Acer Always Connect technology, which lets users manage their multimedia and data on all their devices at anytime, anywhere, even from sleep mode.

There's no word on price, though Acer did say the Timeline Ultra will start shipping in the second quarter of this year.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,817
Points 45,650
rapid1 replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 12:19 PM

As far as it goes was Acer not the one to really start this category anyway?

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 910

Looks decent, hopefully they'll release more info on the specs.

Acer must be credited for bringing the price down, but I'm wondering at what cost?

It's probably a core i3 and a lower-end SSD that won't be much better than a HDD. However, it's good to see they could squeeze in an optical drive despite it's thinness.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator

dejasoul100:
and a lower-end SSD that won't be much better than a HDD

All SSD's blow HDD's out of the water for (speed) performance.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 208
Points 2,180

Not all, actually. One of my complaints with the Toshiba's Portégé R835-P330 is its comparatively anemic SSD, which is rated at up to 180MB/s read and 50MB/s write speeds. It felt and benched like a fast hard drive and is in stark contrast to the Zenbook UX21 by Asus, which uses a performance oriented SSD that blazes along at over 500MB/s for both reads and writes.

We'll have to wait and see what Acer's Timeline Ultra is rocking.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,085
Points 10,995
CDeeter replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 8:46 PM

I know it's a "Intel" form factor, but could you ask about getting an AMD A series in something like this?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 9:57 AM

Paul_Lilly:
Not all, actually.

Paul_Lilly:
is rated at up to 180MB/s read and 50MB/s write speed

Ok, I'll admit that my experiences with SSD's are far less than yours, (you routinely see a lot more tech gear than I ever will) and that one that you're describing is anemic at best.

But most modern SSD's are a hell of a lot faster than it is. They make a remarkable change in a system's performance compared to a HDD.

Mine really made a huge difference for me, and they are ~not top of the line~ SSD's either. The slower SATA-II Agility-2 does 285 read and 275 write, and the faster SATA-III drives almost double that.

Decent SSD's speed boot times and make a system feel much more responsive to me. They blow an ~excellent~ HDD's performance right out of the water. Smile

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 208
Points 2,180
Paul_Lilly replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 10:15 AM

No argument there, I'm just saying he has a valid concern, considering that's exactly what Toshiba just did (cut corners with a lower performing SSD and processor to arrive at a lower price point).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 10:18 AM

Paul_Lilly:
No argument there, I'm just saying he has a valid concern, considering that's exactly what Toshiba just did (cut corners with a lower performing SSD and processor to arrive at a lower price point).

OK I can agree with that too.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Could anyone enlighten me what "2-spindle design" should actually mean? Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS