Toshiba Portégé Z835-P330 Ultrabook Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,388
Points 1,192,405
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jan 3 2012 11:46 AM
Toshiba Portégé Z835-P330 Ultrabook ReviewToshiba's Portégé R835-P330 is one of just a handful Ultrabooks currently available and is part of a new breed of laptops intended to blend ultra-portability with performance. Thin, lightweight, and well equipped, the Ultrabook form factor is the direction the Windows laptop market is headed, but first manufacturers have to get a grip on price. Early Ultrabook models have struggled to stay below the $1,000 ceiling Intel has encouraged them to stay under.

Toshiba's Z835-P330 gets there, and with room to spare. It's available at Best Buy for $800, and we've seen it on sale for as low as $700. It's the least expensive Ultrabook model currently available, and unlike Acer's Aspire S3, which is another lower-priced Ultrabook, Toshiba's model sports a dedicated 128GB solid state drive...

• | Post Points: 110
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 360

looks almost as a macbook with the chiclet style keyboard. Though, thanks for being honest! Flimsy lid alone would offset my decision to buy this. Cant imagine what would happen overtime.

I had to replace my hinges on my Dell Latitude D640 after 18 months of abuse!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

@sarcasticJosh - I had a Dell Lat D640, those were friggin' gladiators at least build wise, from your comment it seems you used your laptop as an accordion. It is a laptop lcd panel not an effing bellows. As for those chiclet style keyboard, those were a sony invention, not Apple's. Apple stole that idea too, just as they stole pretty much every idea in their product line up since the 90s ... :D ... your Jobsian fanboyism is showing.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 70

Always knew hothardware writers were secret Apple religious followers. They can't stop talking about Apple products, no matter what the article is about. And here we have one admitting his secret desires about Apple. He makes the same mistake many deluded people do, and is projecting his own desires onto everyone else.

Apple equipment is vile, it has little to no software for an artist like me to make a living off (WINDOWS is the art platform, and I recently moved my whole studio from OSX to Windows ... and one MorphOS Amiga), it has sycophant airhead followers who berate you no matter what you carry because you are not as much of a true believer in the God Apple than they are... Get this through your simple minds hothardware writers... We DONT CARE about Apple. we DONT WANT Apple! When we read a story about a Windows machine we stop reading as soon as you start raving about Apple hardware!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,689
Points 104,365
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 10:11 AM

boybunny:
We DONT CARE about Apple. we DONT WANT Apple!

What is this ~we~ crap? You have a Frog in your pocket? LOL!

I think that it's wonderful that you can, (with just four posts under your belt) speak for all of us here. What a guy!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

The MacBook air is beautiful... Not worth the price or the OS, but its absolutely gorgeous. I am super excited that we are seeing so many new laptops that have its slim form.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 214
Points 2,215

Unfortunately, boybunny, this article was written on a day when we were all out of sand, so I had no place to bury my head and pretend that Apple products -- and specifically, the MacBook Air, for which Intel's Ultrabook concept is competing against -- don't exist. Even worse, we're still without sand, so I can't even promise this won't be the last time anything positive is ever said about Apple when the context dictates it's applicable.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 105
JZitting replied on Sun, Jan 22 2012 5:02 PM

wow the Toshiba Ultrabook puts this old dell lattitude to complete shame. just about every complaint ive had with the lattitude, is proven fixed in the ultrabook: lattitude: big and bulky. hard to type while browsing in the dark, super slow usb transferring, no HDMI output, which sucks, AND the screen on the ultrabook has a safety lock, which is awsome. also, the lattitude technically belongs to the school. which sucks.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 25
GLugo replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 5:57 AM

The Portege Z835 has treated me quite well as an ultrabook on the cheaper side. I bought it for my aunt and used it for a while before ultimately giving it to her (as a computer enthusiast, gamer, and programmer, I wanted to make sure it was as good as it seemed), and it definitely was a good choice.

Performance:

The computer is, as you might expect from the specs of the computer, fast. The 128GB SSD ensures that programs open almost instantly, and while the processor, the intel core i3 model, is on the lower end of Intel's line of processors, it is still zippy and over 2 times as fast as the last generation core 2 duo processors. The combination of that with a generous 4GB of ram make this ultrabook respond very well, so long as you aren't doing anything particularly strenuous like gaming, which this computer really isn't designed for. If you want to watch movies, listen to music, do text editing, and the like, this laptop is pretty great. It's also quiet in all those cases, too. I haven't tried playing any games on it--if I get the opportunity, I'll edit this post with that info.

Battery life is excellent. In normal use it doesn't reach 8 hours like Toshiba claims, but more like 6 is a reasonable estimate. That's pretty great for what is packed inside the laptop. Finally, it's reliable. I never had it crash on me or overheat. Excellent.

Weight/build:

This thing is LIGHT. Just like many other ultrabooks you may have seen, this is among the lightest 13" computers I've ever seen. I can't wait for the day that every laptop is this light. It also feels reasonably well built. While the hinge of the laptop tends to wobble a little bit, it isn't much of an issue and doesn't make me feel less secure about the laptop's structural integrity.

Peripherals:

The webcam is pretty average, but that isn't a deal-breaker at all. the keyboard feels more or less solid, although while the keys are normal sied they are spaced out a bit too much so i wish the individual keys were a little bigger (not a big deal, but just something I noticed). The trackpad is very basic--don't expect fancy multitouch features. That being said it works quite reliably since it doesn't rely on weird trackpad buttons or finnicky multitouch gestures (you got us there, Apple!). Ports are fantastic for an ultrabook--lots of USB slots, HDMI to hook up monitors, a card reader. This blows away most of the competition's port selection.

Conclusion:

While other laptops may feel more solid or look more aesthetically pleasing than this one, this ultrabook beats most of them out on price. Definitely look around for this laptop around the internet to see what's the lowest price you can snag--if you're in the market for an ultrabook, you can score this cheaper than the rest and have a really solid experience with it.

*NOTE: if you're will buy the Toshiba Portege Z835-P330, I suggest you have to check for best deal before you decide at: Laptopbestdeals.wordpress.com/2012/04/16/toshiba-portege-z835-p330/

hope this review is helpful.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
randie replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 5:10 PM

Has anyone had any problems with the Portege Z835 keyboard? the a,g, and space bar do not work, they have helped me reset the computer twice and have replaced the keyboard but the problem presist.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS