Will Google Chrome Overtake Internet Explorer in 2012?

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,699
Points 1,207,655
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jan 2 2012 2:38 PM
It was always assumed that Mozilla's Firefox browser would one day overtake Microsoft's Internet Explorer in the global browser market, ending IE's reign that began when the Redmond software giant buried Netscape Navigator years ago. But as it turns out, Google Chrome might have a better shot of overtaking IE, and at the rate things are going, it could happen this year.

According to data from StatCounter, Google Chrome increased its global browser market share from 15.68 percent in January 2011 to 27.27 percent by the end of the year. Microsoft's Internet Explorer, meanwhile, dropped from 46 percent to begin 2011 to 38.65 percent by the time 2011 came to a close. Barely more than 11 percentage points now separate these two as IE continues to trend downwards and Chrome upwards. For what it's worth, Firefox dropped from 30.68 percent of the global browser market in January 2010 to 25.27 percent in December 2010.

Source: StatCounter

The market share numbers over at NetMarketShare are a little less dramatic, though trending similarly. According to NetMarketShare, IE's share of the global browser market dropped from 56 percent to begin 2011 to 47.76 percent by the end of the year. Firefox also slid, going from 22.75 percent to 20.09 percent, while Chrome increased its share from 10.7 percent to 17.58 percent, putting it in third place, not second.

Whichever numbers are correct, it's clear that Chrome is the real threat to IE based on market share trends, a fact Microsoft may not want to admit. In a Windows blog post on Sunday, Microsoft's Roger Capriotti tried to spin the situation by pointing out how IE is doing well in Windows 7, especially in the U.S. And while it's true, it can't hide the fact that IE won't be the world's most user browser forever, and maybe not for all of 2012.
  • | Post Points: 140
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
PBrown1 replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 4:52 PM

It is just a matter of time.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 5:17 PM

I like using chrome over internet explorer, but i dont see chrome taking over internet explorer in 2012 because many people just use their default browser, internet explorer. However microsoft shouldn't ignore google because they are also trying to step into the desktop operating system market.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665

I didn't expect ie to be that much above the rest. But im going to stick with firefox for now.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

I made my switch from firefox to chrome after 6 or so dedicated years. And all I can say is that I'm extremely happy. Can't say that I'll go back any time soon.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35

2 Biggest reasons I switched to Chrome:

1. Firefox and IE refuse to get rid of the ancient, one box for web addresses, one box for search scenario. Talk about wasted screen real estate.

2. No "this extension doesn't work with this version of firefox" . Got tired of months upon months of crippled, non working extensions. Chrome extensions install easy, with no restart, and they all just work with the latest released version.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Biggest reason I only use Chrome for testing: Keeps on *** crashing on me. They sandbox the hell out of it and yet it still constantly dies. Opera I dont have that issue. I am the extreme user though. Two or three windows, ech with at least a dozen tabs.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 215
Lakawak replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 2:16 AM

Google is no threat to Windows. Google fails FAR more often than it succeeds. Miserably most of the time.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 215
Lakawak replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 2:16 AM

So..the biggest reason you switched is because you are ignorant? Internet Explorer merged the URL box and the search box BEFORE Chrome.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 215
Lakawak replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 2:18 AM

As for wasted real estate...Internet Explorer uses up far LESS real estate from toolbars than Chrome does.

So it is clear that you are one of he idiots that lieks to talk about Internet Explorer despite not having used it since IE 6.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 3:17 AM

Maybe. Although IE's demise us certainly overdue... I still think that it being preloaded on Windows PC's, people still using it due to having no alternative and people who actually like it will cause it's decline to be slower over the years; though Google Chrome has been rising at a steady pace and IE has been doing nothing but declining. It's not going to be an easy fight and it may not happen in 2012 but it is going to overtake IE (at the expense of Firefox of course.) for a number of reasons.

I personally think IE9 is okay but being okay is not enough in today's market.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I created a Google doc based on this site:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhsSjmVAB-G1dFJ1LUJYU0ZlVU4wbVh4ZmZURDRmSFE

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I prefer google chrome and iron srware more support javascript in browsing and certainly faster than ie

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS