LG's 55" OLED TV Breaks Cover Prior To CES

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,735
Points 1,209,545
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jan 1 2012 11:06 PM
Well, you can't blame LG for getting a jump on the CES festivities. Once the news starts rolling early next week, it'll be a complete blur from top to bottom. LG's looking to avoid that, and aside from the 84" Ultra-Definition HDTV they announced a few days ago, the company is now detailing a 55" OLED TV. The company's calling this the world's largest OLED TV in the commercial space, incorporating LG's 4-color pixels and Color Refiner. "Working closely with LG Display, we have a product which not only delivers on all the advantages of OLED over LCD but at a significantly lower cost than what could be achieved using existing OLED manufacturing technologies," said Havis Kwon, President and CEO of LG Electronics Home Entertainment Company. "OLED is clearly the future of home TV entertainment and LG is very focused on making this exciting technology as easy as possible for consumers to embrace."

What sets LG's TV picture apart from other OLED TVs is 4-Color Pixels and Color Refiner which work together to generate natural and accurate colors that are sharp and consistent. The 4-Color Pixels feature allows for more accurate color depiction by using a set of four colors (red, green blue and white) in comparison to the RGB setup used by other OLED TV manufacturers. Color Refiner ensures consistency in colors from a wider viewing angle via an LG algorithm which improves and refines hues and tones. This is in contrast to other OLED TVs which often exhibit drastic changes in hues from different viewing angles and abnormal color gamut.

Boasting an infinite contrast ratio, LG's OLED TV exhibits vivid colors and the smallest details regardless of the overall luminance of the on-screen image. In turn, colors and details throughout an entire image are preserved with utmost clarity and sharpness, even when displaying scenes with dark lighting. Such color capabilities are technically impossible with LED and LCD display panels. And at 1,000 times faster than LED/LCD displays, LG's OLED TV shows crystal clear motion without any blurring or bleeding.

And LG's OLED TV is as aesthetically pleasing as it is technologically sophisticated. LG's Slim and Narrow Bezel design gives the TV a sleek, minimal look and at only 4 mm thin and a mere 7.5 kg, LG's OLED TV practically blends into the wall.

There's no mention of a price, but boy, you can bet you'll want one regardless of the MSRP.
  • | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 360

Wow, thats a THIN Bezel!! Impressive LG

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 360

Its pretty cool that in the last few years, the cost of producing large screen OLED tvs has gone so low. I remember when Sony introduced their OLED tv's a few years ago and boy were they expensive!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 12:53 AM

lg- i hope you have monitors on the way... eyefinity is all i have to say.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,690
Points 55,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 12:49 PM

Totally... would love a pair of 30" panels like that, side by side.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

I cant wait for OLED's to come out for the average consumer market. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 3:09 AM

Any word on monitors? Especially 24" ones.

This is great, it could finally prove useful in replacing my FW900 which is currently unused to due some issues I'm having with it.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
EWilde replied on Thu, Feb 16 2012 9:51 PM

I know that bezel is so thin and the color is so good. I want an Oled TV so bad. I wish they would come out sooner I think a lot of people are going to be picking them up.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS