Sony Tablet S Android Slate Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,748
Points 1,210,300
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Dec 26 2011 11:47 AM

Sony Tablet S Android Slate ReviewFans of Google's Android platform are proving to be a patient lot. It hasn't been easy pulling for Android in the tablet space, which for a period of time was limited to a few overpriced and underwhelming Gingerbread slates. Things began to change when Honeycomb came out, the first version of Android designed specifically for tablets, but even then it started to feel like if you've seen one Android tablet, you've seen them all. Lately we've found ourselves asking, 'Where's all the innovation that's supposed to be associated with an open source platform, and with so many different manufacturers concentrating on Android, where's the outside-the-box mentality?" Apparently over at Sony, that's where.

Sony's Tablet S looks different than any other Android tablet you've seen before. It feels different, too. Breaking away from the cookie cutter form factor employed by everyone else, Sony took a chance on a unique design intended to mimic what it feels like to hold a folded back magazine...

Sony Tablet S Android Slate Review

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
AlfieJr replied on Mon, Dec 26 2011 2:19 PM

informative review. but you're bending over backwards and pulling punches by just not concluding flat-out: by itself it's a mediocre tablet. not a good choice to buy UNLESS you are integrating it with the rest of Sony's emerging ecosystem for its HDTV's, smartphones, game players and other hardware. besides the barely mentioned PlayStation Certified and integrated remotes, there is the new Sony Entertainment Network, Music/Video Unlimited, and more. 

and since product ecosystems are so important nowadays, a full review needs to detail how any product performs as part of a larger setup, not just stand alone. so what can we do with a Tablet S combined with a Bravia HDTV? that's what we need to know.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Completely agree. Its one of the reasons I bought the original Tab 7 inch, it functions well as a remote too.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Tue, Dec 27 2011 7:12 PM

This is overall great, i like that u can connect a playstation controller for play. Only thing i don't like is the design. why making it with that slant in the back? and it can't be flipped as a cover, which i though it could at first :D

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 25
PGoodwin replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 9:53 PM

I can't believe how much fun I've had with this little thing. I had no intention of buying any tablet of any sort until I happened upon a review of the Sony and thought some of its features looked interesting. I went to BB and played with a whole slew of tablets and the Sony just plain felt better and easier to hold/carry than the others. Still, the price was high for something I didn't really need to own. A few days later I took a look at the Sony website and they were having a tremendous sale on the tablet that included the cradle, an extra charging cable and a screen protector. I ordered it immediately. A week later the price dropped and I contacted Sony and they credited the difference to my credit card the next day! There is a learning curve with the Sony Tablet, but it's a bit easier if you've had experience with other Android devices. Still, it's a good plan to become familiar with the online manual. It's unfortunate that most manufacturers have stopped supplying written manuals with their devices, but that's the way of business these days.

The tablet itself is really fun to play with. The remote alone is worth it's weight in gold! (Right now you can only control a PS3 with a workaround, but I think Sony will have an update before long to address that issue.) I've also had a good time with the DLNA. It's really fun to pull photos and music from my PC and 'throw' them onto the tablet or my TV. One surprise for me with the Sony is that I keep finding ways to actually use it in my daily life. It's become more than just a 'toy.'

About books: I'm a serious reader and I like the tactility of books. I've never had any desire whatsoever to own a book reader. I've just made some discoveries that may change that slightly. There are wonderful websites with literally millions of free books in the public domain. Many are classics from every genre imaginable. Project Gutenberg seems to be the oldest, but there are others. I've also discovered an amazing free utility called Calibre that helps keep written material organized. I still don't see myself reading a book on the Sony, but I will try out magazine articles and possibly some shorter fiction. I have a few minor quibbles with the tablet ie the whole data storage/transfer business with the SD card is just dumb, but that's another thing I think Sony will be addressing soon with the next software update. All in all, I'm really happy with the Sony Tablet and I would recommend it highly.

*Note: If you're will buy this Sony Tablet S, I suggest you have to compare prices before you decide at -> Prices-comparison.info/Sony-Tablet-S

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS