Best Buy Cancels Some Online Orders at the Last Minute

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,867
Points 1,116,100
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Dec 23 2011 1:59 PM
The holidays bring enough stress as it is, such as dealing with the in-laws, fighting through crowds and bumper-to-bumper traffic, and even what to wear. For some, Best Buy is piling even more on by letting an untold number of customers know the electronics chain will not be fulfilling their orders, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal.

The alerts come just a few days before Christmas, and during a year when online sales are up 15 percent to $32 billion for the holiday season so far.

Morningstar analyst R.J. Hottovy told WSJ that the cancelled orders a "hiccup" for Best Buy, adding that the chain was already "kind of behind the curve building our their online channel."

While the cancelled orders aren't expected to affect Best Buy's bottom line all that much, it will likely lead to affected customers taking their money somewhere else next time, especially since Best Buy doesn't appear to handing out discounts, coupons, or any other form of apology.

On the bright side, shoppers looking for last minute gift ideas have at least one good option that's both inexpensive and worthwhile.
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Fri, Dec 23 2011 5:23 PM

Thank god my order was not canceled :P. But the wait in store is... LONG, waited an hour or more to pick up my stuff...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Dec 23 2011 5:36 PM

Best Buy definitely has an evil side. Love that thumbnail Paul chose!

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

I agree Best Buy is the Devil... they put all the other local business around my area out of business and then raised their prices like 25+%

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 14,240
Manduh replied on Fri, Dec 23 2011 9:00 PM

What was the reason for the cancelled orders?

PCAudioLabs Rok Box MC 7xs - Intel Core i7-2600K - Cooling: PCAL Quiet Operation - Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard - 16GB DDR3-1333 - AMD Radeon HD 5450 - Power Supply: 600 Watts - SRT Drive: Intel 311 SSD (20GB) - Primary Drive: 500GB, 7200RPM, 16MB cache - Audio Drive: 1TB, 7200RPM, 32MB cache - Sample Drive: 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB cache - OS: Windows 7 Professional x64

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Points 1,390
detnight replied on Fri, Dec 23 2011 11:54 PM

you would think they could give an I'm sorry or give a discount to those who had their Christmas messed up

Asus M4A79T deluxe,AMD Athlon II X4 620,PNY GTX285 1gb,Patriot Viper DDR3 1333 8gb,Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro,Diamond ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Comb,Plextor DVD-CD burner,Patriot PS-100 SSD 32gb ,WD 500gb 32mg,Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower,Antec True Power Quattro 1000watts,Toshiba 40in 1080p for a monitor

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 75
gwguruman replied on Sat, Dec 24 2011 12:44 AM

This just happened to me with my Best Buy Cyber Monday order. I ordered a nice laptop computer on Cyber Monday (11/28) on Best Buy's web site at a great discount where they took my PayPal money right away out of my bank account. I then received within 6 hours of placing my order, this email from Best Buy:

---

The item listed below is not yet available to be shipped. We expect to ship it within the next 1-2 weeks. We will ship the item sooner if it becomes available.

---

Then on 12/14 I get this email:

---

Thank you for your recent XYZ laptop order on BestBuy.com. Unfortunately, we are out of stock on this item and unable to obtain any more. We apologize for this inconvenience. As a replacement we would like to offer you a ABC laptop at the same price.

If you would like this product as your replacement item, found on the link below, please call us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) by December 20 and we will place an order for this item at the original price you paid.

If you contact us by the above date your order should arrive before Christmas. Please note your original order will be automatically canceled. Please have your order number handy when you contact us so that we may serve you faster.

Replacement product can be found here.

---

Calling into their 800 number was a dead end. Not one Best Buy person on that 800 line could do anything to help me with my order.

The replacement laptop offered was no special deal where the price was the normal public price that anyone can buy it for on their web site or any other web site. Very lame business practice.

Best Buy had my money for weeks and then does not compensate me with any special discount or coupon for the trouble it has caused me in getting a Christmas gift at the last moment. Now from this experience, they have lost my future business, and I will be telling others. A failed customer relationship that could have been salvaged, but they fell through.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Couldnt fulfil the orders. That simple... then dont take them is my answer.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
RFelty replied on Wed, Dec 28 2011 12:24 PM

I am satisfied with Best Buy, as they contacted me the day before XMas to inform me they were not going to be able to ship the COD:MW3 game I had ordered for my son. Not only did they refund the order, they gave my son a $100 store credit, so he is happy!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
dmagarwal replied on Thu, Dec 29 2011 6:11 PM

I placed an order for a laptop on 12/11/2011 and got an email that it's back ordered. On 12/16 got an email that your order will be cancelled. When I called BestBuy they put me on hold for 15 minutes and was then asked to submit a request online on bestbuy.com a was given a reference#. I haven't heard from BestBuy since then. When I call them I am told that you can cancel your order or wait until they get shipment from the manufacturer.

Not only they screwed up on the order and delivery, they also have lot of attitude. I am done shopping at BestBuy and never going back again.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,150
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Dec 29 2011 9:07 PM

I haven't seen the inside of a best buy store in 7 years. I haven't been to their website either.

So I guess I can't ~stop~ doing any trade with them,............Smile

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS