Brace Yourself for Higher RAM Prices, Adata Says

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,480
Points 1,196,240
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Dec 21 2011 2:15 PM
If you spot a good deal on DRAM and could use an upgrade, you may want to pull the trigger rather than wait and hope prices will fall even further. According to Adata CEO Simon Chen, DRAM prices are likely to rebound in January 2012, mostly because of cuts in DRAM output made earlier in the year. The effects of those cuts are about to take effect, especially as PC makers get ready to replenish their inventories, Chen warns.

Chen was also quick to point that Adata is one of two companies that kept a steady focus on DRAM modules (Kingston is the other), while most other companies shifted the bulk of their operations away from system memory in order to focus on NAND flash memory for SSDs and other more stable markets.

Adata might also be making a mountain out of a mole hill here. DRAM is almost as inexpensive as tap water, so even if prices go up next month, it probably won't be enough to sway most users out of making a purchase. On the flip side, the timing is crummy, as hard drive prices are also higher these days, though for a different reason (flooding in Thailand).
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Agreed, especially with the current hdd prices up.

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

interesting, I hope they dont jump too much. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Was just thinking about a memory upgrade.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,796
Points 40,655
Inspector replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 5:43 PM

I can go for some more memory, would need to upgrade all my ram if i want to do that though :(. But 12GB is fine for me right now.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 7:04 PM

I have twelve 4GB sticks on the shelf. I started buying it up a while back because of how low the prices have gone down.
I guess that makes me a hoarder,.......Smile

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 8:57 PM

Hopefully the prices don't get too crazy :( I'm actually starting to gather up parts for a build... it will be my first. Of course that's still a ways down the road so I hope ram will still be affordable then!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 9:55 PM

Manduh:
Hopefully the prices don't get too crazy :( I'm actually starting to gather up parts for a build... it will be my first. Of course that's still a ways down the road so I hope ram will still be affordable then!

Buy the RAM first, while it's still so cheap.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 10:21 PM

ram is as cheap as tap water? not so my friends not so.

Lol no those are some good looking sticks of ram though, maybe we should do a give away with some of those.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 10:29 PM

realneil:

Manduh:

Buy the RAM first, while it's still so cheap.

I wish I could, but no 'extra' funds until possibly middle of Jan or even Feb :( bah. oh well. Let's just cross our fingers they don't get too pricey!

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 105
jst4tim replied on Thu, Dec 22 2011 12:17 AM

Thanks for the heads up on this I may need to pick up some ram before I get that new computer I'm saving for.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Dec 22 2011 2:05 AM

realneil:

I have twelve 4GB sticks on the shelf. I started buying it up a while back because of how low the prices have gone down.
I guess that makes me a hoarder,.......Smile

I wish I had your hoarding skills and the ability to jump on the latest trends. I've been hesitating (yeah I know) to buy RAM for a long time, even though the prices have been at it's lowest for a while. Now that the RAM prices are rising, I don't know if I should jump on now or save my money for something else... I mean sure, 8GBs of RAM would be nice but I'm saving up the money for something and I don't receive much money for me to spend it freely on anything.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Thu, Dec 22 2011 3:38 AM

Just finished (re)building a computer with 4 x 4GB DDR3 RAM, which I was able to purchase for prices that would have seemed incredibly low a year ago - and they have continued to fall after my purchase. Great for consumers - hope prices stay stable !...

Henri

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Dec 22 2011 9:45 AM

TaylorKarras:
I wish I had your hoarding skills and the ability to jump on the latest trends.

I buy stuff as I can, and usually only when Newegg has a big sale on. They do have some outrageous sales at times too. Also, I do some PC repair work for people at times. When I do, I have them buy me a gift certificate at Newegg for an agreed amount. I save those up and when I have enough of them, I use them to buy something.

Today, there is 8GB of DDR3-1333MHz RAM for $25.00, It isn't gaming RAM, but still, it's amazing how low the prices have become.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645
omegadraco replied on Thu, Dec 22 2011 11:23 AM

Yeah, I doubt prices are going to rise that much maybe 5-10%. and with the way prices are now 5 to 10% is going to be 10-20 dollars for a kit and I doubt that that kind of jump is going to make or break a build unlike the 100-150% increase in hard drive prices :(

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 22 2011 2:24 PM

Man I upgraded just in time

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS