Winner's Rig THE ROK BOX!!

This post has 43 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,110
Points 11,240
CDeeter replied on Sun, Jan 29 2012 10:09 AM

Welcome to the site Cliff, glad you are here. It's nice to finally get to talk with you. You sure do have the talent for creating music.

The patches and samples you are using sound incredible. For me finding believable snare, guitar, and vocal patches have been some of the hardest to pull off.

The pitch bends in the dance song were really cool, were they done in real time or programmed? And I loved the interaction of the strings weaving in and out of the guitar melody in the ballad.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 100
CliffB replied on Sun, Jan 29 2012 10:10 AM

TaylorKarras:
Don't threat, I'm kind of a noob to using synths (the SynthMaker I'm going to have to learn since it's ability to make any kind of synth will prove useful for me.) hence the current focus on sampling (I do hope to learn how to use the instruments well.).

Other then that, just experiment a little bit, dabble in the manuals and you'll be synthesizing in no time. Again, you are the best person to win this system, you're a musician, you have talent and you can put this thing to good use.

Welcome to HotHardware!

Thanks for the compliment Taylor. And the words of encouragement. The funny thing is, during my audio engineering studies, synthesis was a required course. It was basically a history class starting with the behemoth synths from years ago and how the technology grew to what it is now. I don't know if you've ever seen pictures of the early synths but they were HUGE. The problem is, it wasn't something I focused on at the time. I passed that course but years later, it's stuff I wish I had retained. I still have my old text books. Maybe I'll try to dig them out. It was a pretty in-depth course.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 100
CliffB replied on Sun, Jan 29 2012 10:41 AM

CDeeter:

Welcome to the site Cliff, glad you are here. It's nice to finally get to talk with you. You sure do have the talent for creating music.

The patches and samples you are using sound incredible. For me finding believable snare, guitar, and vocal patches have been some of the hardest to pull off.

The pitch bends in the dance song were really cool, were they done in real time or programmed? And I loved the interaction of the strings weaving in and out of the guitar melody in the ballad.

Thank you! I've been rummaging through the forum to see what topics I can contribute to. I have to admit that this is quite a tech haven with some very knowledgeable people. I can see why Manduh likes coming here. Since Gaming is my other "addiction" you'll probably see me there the most, although I will be searching through the forum to see what else I can learn from you fine folks.

Ever since I got my first acoustic guitar when I was 16, I was hooked. I knew music was going to be a big part of my life. But something strange happened with me though. Unlike most budding guitar players, I never found myself wanting to get out there and be a rock star. Sure, playing in front of people is a lot of fun but I've always been into music as a whole. I never wanted to limit myself to just being a guitar player in a rock band. That's why I ultimately ended up teaching myself how to play other instruments. It's really satisfying being able to create any kind of music in my head, record it and then listen back to what I created.  The RokBox definitely opened up a much larger world for me and I'm extremely thankful that it's here.

Finding great patches and samples is definitely tough. I've already found myself searching around for third party developers to add to the arsenal I already have. East West is a great company that has some excellent libraries. But we're talking $700-$1000 per library so it's a little hard to justify considering I'm a home enthusiast who is not making money from music. Thankfully the system already came with a very nice library so it isn't a necessity to add to it right now.

Those pitch bends were recorded in real time. I'm still using my Roland JV-30 but I'm no longer using the internal patches. I just use it to control the software synths and it has a pitch bend and modulation controller on it. Very handy for creating pitch bends and modulation effects on the fly.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,950
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jan 29 2012 9:40 PM

Cliff,....it's good to see you here on HH. Welcome.

I'm glad to see that the RokBox ended up where it did. I know you'll get a lot of good use out of it and it should expand your digital capabilities to no end.

It, combined with your musical talent (yeah, I already saw a few of your recorded performances) will be a potent combination in the future.

Your posted song samples sound great.

RealNeil

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS