Dell XPS 14z Notebook Reviewed

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,485
Points 1,196,280
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Dec 8 2011 10:45 PM
Earlier this year, we took a long, hard look at one of Dell's most highly-anticipated multimedia notebooks to date. That was the XPS 15z, and we thought pretty highly of it in almost every measurable way, including its delightfully thin dimensions. Fast forward a few months, and in slides the XPS 14z. According to its branding, this unit is just a single number different than the XPS 15z, and if you didn't know any better, you'd just assume that someone took a shrink-ray to the 15z. Indeed, the 14z really is just a small 15z in some ways...

The 14z is Dell's "thinnest, fully-featured 14" laptop with an internal optical drive." That's a lot of qualifications, but one thing is clear: it's thin, it's compact, and it packs a punch for the size. In addition, LG's Shuriken display is one of the standout features here, enabling a 14" display to be crammed into a 13" form factor.

Dell XPS 14z Notebook Review

• | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

This really seems like a nice machine that I would not mind owning. But the shortcomings while minor are very inconvenient. Plus we would be paying for looks in this case with that other 14z coming in so much cheaper. Verdict for me would be to wait for the next revision.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Good review but its a shame Dell could not iron out the wrinkles, sounds like the potential is here though.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Dec 9 2011 4:56 PM

Nice review. I agree that the stickers are a distraction but I don't see it going away anytime soon; I mean there has to be a way to catch the buyer or average person of this laptop when it's on store shelves, and traditionally placing Intel stickers or badges have mostly worked... Now I don't know if Apple's non-sticker policy would work with other computer manufactuers but unless some people find ways to do the same things that stickers do without the stickers, stickers are here to stay.

Also on removable batteries; sure, they may provide supposed longer life but I'm not a supposed fan of any laptop that requires you to send it back to the manufacturer. At least the touchpad is a great Apple rival.

Again, nice review; you covered all of the vital points, did an extensive analysis and even got in a great dig at shovelware. I might be considering this laptop in the future.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 960

Normally I wouldn't get a Dell but after this review I probably would :)

The design is pretty sleek (I like small, light, thin laptop because easy to carry around)

The backlit on the keyboard is also what attracted me

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
alpharulz replied on Mon, Dec 12 2011 7:47 AM

JuicyFruitSweeT

I second your thoughts on this one for now and remember there could an even better product that is soon to be released :D More over it is a nice product and wouldn't mind having one. The spec's and feature are all good for me.

Cheers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

Thought about purchasing one of these, but I think I'll wait until the next round of Dells pop up.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
knightm7 replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 12:52 PM

What's the $100 difference between the tested price and the starting price?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS