Razer Blade Shipping in Time for Christmas, Razer Says

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,851
Points 1,171,205
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Dec 8 2011 3:20 PM
The Razer Blade gaming notebook by Razer is one sexy looking laptop that didn't make it into our Holiday Gift Guide this year, but that's partially because we had no idea when it would be available. Until now, that is. According to reports, it's going to ship in time for Christmas, and if you're confident it will live up to the hype, you can add it to your wish list before handing it over to your significant other.

Razer CEO Min-Liang Tag spoke with Kotaku about the Razer Blade and explained that the "world's first true gaming laptop" will go up for pre-order very soon. It won't be cheap, however, coming in at $2,800, though the hardware's been slightly changed (for the better) since it was originally announced.

"Prior to the announcement of the Razer Blade, we had to deal with skeptical component suppliers who were convinced that no one wanted a well-designed gaming laptop – and that all the users cared about were cheap and mass produced laptops. To convince them to supply us, we offered a premium over their listed prices for the components" said Tan.

"After the announcement of the Razer Blade, they were floored with the response from the press and the community and we managed to negotiate a price down for the components. We were able to convince them to bring the cost down and with the cost savings; we decided to upgrade the 320GB HDD to a 256 SSD drive," Tan added.

It's a storage downgrade in terms of capacity, but an obvious performance upgrade moving from a mechanical hard drive to a solid state drive. Other specs include:
  • Intel Core i7 2640M processor
  • GeForce GT 555M graphics
  • 8GB DDR3-1333 memory
  • 17.3-inch display (1920x1080 resolution)
  • 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
  • HD webcam
  • Backlit keyboard with integrated LCD panel
Look for Razer to start accepting pre-orders within the next few days over at Razer Zone.
  • | Post Points: 155
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 427
Points 3,290

They should have had it available way before christmas. This will cut into their sales, but at least its now out.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"A Fail product, just like the Asus MARS II, the SSD doesn't change a thing, its overpriced and under powered, even more so this time around. i say they will sell about 8 to 10 of these"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I agree, everyone is on a budget these days. The few people who aren't might pick one of these up. It is one sexy machine but way overpriced!

Now you're just mashing it!

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 180

GT 555M is weak! They haven't made a gaming laptop thin because of the size of the fan and gpu needed to product good gaming graphics at high resolutions.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

That is one sexy looking laptop.

I only wish laptops were as easy to upgrade as a desktop, that is the only drawback I see here.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 152
Points 1,870

I can understand the performance upgrade with the ssd, but I'd personally want more storage, even in a gaming laptop. My steam games would eat that amount of storage right up. On another note, and I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall this having been part collaboration with the voodoo pc guys, sometime after they were absorbed into HP ( I think it was with an interview of Rahul Sood). Now that the envy is no more, perhaps razer will carry on with similar products.

AMD Phenom II 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz - Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P - 4GB Corsair DDR2-1066

BFG GTX 260 - Creative Audigy 2 ZS - CM Cosmos S Case

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Love the keyboard and dynamic buttons on this machine but that is about it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

I love the look too but it's too expensive for what you're getting. It's become an exclusive product only to those willing to pay or can afford to pay that price even before it's available to the general public

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Dec 8 2011 11:31 PM

Can't deny Razer when it comes to gaming but they should of at least included a better graphics card and remove that useless LCD panel that is the main source of the high prices. I mean Optimus technology can be good when used properly but to include it on a laptop like this just doesn't make sense and can even be considered gimmicky; remove it from the notebook and it'd be way lower. I mean sure, it'd be less of a gaming notebook but it's price would be more appropriate for a laptop with the specs listed above.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 70

$2,800 and a GT 555M. You gotta be kidding me.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965

sadly this went from something awesome to an extremely expensive gimmick

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"I'm thinking its a quad core CPU because it's an *i7*, come to find out that the Intel Core i7 2640M is a dual core. Shame."

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS