Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid Drive

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,218
Points 1,187,315
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Nov 29 2011 12:04 AM

Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid DriveSeagate’s first Momentus XT hybrid drive arrived about a year and a half ago. The original drive featured a 500GB hard drive paired to 4GB of SLC NAND flash and a SATA 3.0 interface. At the time of its release, the original Momentus XT turned out to be a rather compelling product. Its price was relatively low and Seagate’s adaptive memory technology “just worked”, which resulted in increased performance that was seamless to the end-user, regardless of the OS being used.

Today Seagate is ready to reveal its next iteration of the Momentus XT. The updated version of the drive we’ll be showing you here today features a 750GB storage capacity, with 8GB of SLC NAND flash, and a faster SATA 6.0Gbps interface. Much of the underlying technology is similar, but this new drive has more magnetic storage, more flash memory, a speedier interface, and its adaptive memory algorithms and hybrid data management tools--dubbed Fast Factor--have been tweaked for better real-world performance versus the original...

Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid Drive

• | Post Points: 155
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Great review Marco, glad to see Seagate is keeping up with these drives. I have the 500gig momentus xt in my wife's laptop. I love it, speedy with more room than an ssd. We really only use the laptop for basic tasks(internet, office, music/movies) so this drive is perfect, and I would recommend it to anyone who is in the market for space and wants that little extra kick in the pants.

That being said I agree with you Marco, for a desktop there are certainly better options but for a laptop I think it works really well.

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Nov 29 2011 12:13 PM

The Seagate Momentus XT was a revolutionary drive at it's time... It was the first hybrid drive that was adorable and in the face of all the competition, it carved a niche for itself.

Today, not so much...

I mean it's nice that Seagate is keeping up by adding a more efficient algorithm and a SATA 6Gbs interact but let's be honest, there are newer SSD's and hybrid drives out there that are more powerful and more efficient then the original Momentus and more surprisingly the newest Momentus. Again, it was the product of it's time and while it may serve some people the same way as the original product did, I think it's about time they took it back to the drawing board.

Still, good review Marco!

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,050
rrplay replied on Tue, Nov 29 2011 1:41 PM

Still good to see that Seagate developed the Momentus Xt series a bit more and for a single HD disk with a bit of storage& is no slouch for a single -drive set-up. very nice to see that the $.31 per GB cost is not to shabby either for the increased boot/ and speed performance upgrade.Be interested to see what the price of a 500GB version like the one Drake mentioned would be to recommend as well.By the time the HD prices get back to normal in a bit be interesting to see what some decent 250GB SSD drives will be going 4 for as well.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 250
vorthex replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 11:16 PM

Pretty cool... I don't think this will last all that long though.

The price of SSD's will be going down quickly I think, especially the first generation SSD's that are ~250mbps

Recently bought a 160gb ssd for ~$130... which is a great price.

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 285
JOliver replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 11:40 AM

A nice evolution but honestly, nothing new. This is still a 1st gen hybrid drive

If this were a 2nd gen hybrid, I'd expect at least 16-32GB of flash per terabyte, and it wouldn't be read-only either.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
TCP replied on Wed, Dec 7 2011 12:34 AM

cannot wait for these guys to come up with 1TB of those puppies

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
Hatetank replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 1:19 PM

I love the idea of this drive, even though im not a huge Seagate fan, ive been pretty curious about them and i wish i could win one rather than have to go buy one.I really like the idea of SSD's too, but im just as leary of those too. I hate venturing into unsure tech and being totally dissapointed with it, and worst of all, being stuck with it and out the cash!!

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 960

I remember the flood in Singapore or Malaysia causes the price to rise in HDD

$200~ for a WD Caviar Black 1TB pretty sad :_(

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Mon, Dec 12 2011 11:41 PM

That is a sick set of stats for a product fitted to preform, it was created with i7 in mind and the best of the best to be its companions, i am not a little bit irked at the thought of not having one but then again i do love my hardware. it would be quite a great experience to take a top of the line hardware set and connect with this hard drive the only issue would be finding something it couldn't do.

Not Ranked
Posts 54
Points 495
zybch replied on Tue, Feb 7 2012 4:08 PM

I had one of the '1st' gen 500Gb hybrid drives. For all intents and purposes it didn't feel any faster than the regular drive it replaced. Now that was in a notebook and its possible the IO was gimped in a similar way that intel does with its netbook chipsets, but you'd still expect a bit faster performance right?

With SSDs continuing to drop in price (though not anywhere near as fast as I'd like) and offering absolutely noticeable performance improvements over spindle based drives, I'm not really sure there is a big enough market for these hybrid devices. Perhaps 5-8 years ago when they were first proposed they would have been amazing, but now.... meh

For me, its a case of too little too late.

Seagate and WD have to get off their backsides and start throwing some big dollars at creating their own lines of true SSDs instead of letting the small fish (corsair, OCZ, etc etc) eat their dinner.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS