OCZ Octane Series SATA III Solid State Drive, HH Tested and Burned In

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,935
Points 1,118,665
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Nov 23 2011 10:41 AM
In March of this year, OCZ announced that they had plans to acquire Indilinx. A few months have passed since the acquisition, but today the combined forces of OCZ and their recently assimilated team members from Indilinx are ready to officially unveil the OCZ Octane series of solid state drives, which are based on the new Indilinx Everest platform.

Everest builds upon the previous gen Indilinx Barefoot controller, but offers a SATA 6.0Gbps interface and support for the latest NAND flash technologies, among other things.

We’ve had an OCZ Octane 512GB SSD in the lab for a few days now and have run it through a series a tests, comparing it to a handful of other popular drives throughout. Check out the pages ahead for the full scoop...

• | Post Points: 125
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Great Review Dave it seems OCZ has a winner on their hands with this drive. As the trouble in with Thailand should drive adoption of SSD's quicker.

I only wish I had one :( from what I hear the HDD is the biggest bottleneck in a system today.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Wed, Nov 23 2011 1:29 PM

i've come close to slurging but my motherboard is much too old for decent support let alone trim.

i have friends with ocz drives and they are very pleased. but i think anyone would be pleased going from hdd to ssd, and not getting a bump drive.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Nov 23 2011 6:40 PM

Great review. I liked the shots of the internals as well as the well detailed results... I'm surprised that the Samsung 800 series of SSD's are faster but the Vertex and the Corsair Force GT is faster in others; nice to know that you test manufacturer claims to make sure they are true...

Just proves that HH is the place when it comes to reviews.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 910

Looks good. If I'm able to spare some $ after the 'holiday season' shopping I might just spring for one. Even if the OCZ write speeds are not the greatest, at least they are pricing aggressively. This may be good for making SSDs more common, given the potential effect of the unfortunate floods in Thailand on HDD supply.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610
omegadraco replied on Wed, Nov 23 2011 10:30 PM

Very nice review. I agree seeing the internals is pretty cool.

Any idea why they are releasing both SATA II and SATA III interfaces. Are SATA III disks not compatible with SATA II controllers and would they not simply just run at the slower speed.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,925

"Great read performance all around in every capacity, good enough write speeds on the lower capacities, I'm more concerned about reliability, so I trust that the Indilinx drives will deliver."

@Marco , some spelling errors in the Conclusion:

Strong Read **Performace** The N is Missing

Competitive **Pricinh**

Write speeds below **SansForce**-based drives (SandForce)

However, with incompressible data the OCZ Octane 512GB drive led the **SansForce**-based drives

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Sat, Nov 26 2011 4:02 PM

I like OCZ, but bad luck that they couldn't do it without buying out Indilinx. I am a strong believer in not having many or any monopolies. Anyway this seems a good product, but the price will be too much for me.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 6:53 AM

I thought I'd mention that I've come back a second time to read this review. It's always good to keep in mind something that you may want to get in the future. Good to read this review! Good to keep informed!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
Hatetank replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 1:43 PM

This is a great review guys. I love that you guys do a full tear down of the drive!! That is sooo rare among tech sites and sooo appreciated among techies, especially some of us who know a little bit about what were looking at in there. Keep up the great work...this review was a solid joy to read.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS