Spoiled Kids Want an iPad for Christmas, Will Settle for an iPod or iPhone

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,210,025
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Nov 19 2011 1:12 PM
Wondering what to get your little ones for Christmas (or Hanukkah or Kwanzaa, or just because)? Well then, pay no attention to market research firm Nielsen if you're currently torn between a skateboard or a bicycle. Either of those will get your kids out of the house and moving around, which is a good thing for this generation. But if you're looking to score hipster parent points by getting them something they actually want, then stop being foolish and start turning your attention to electronic gadgets.

This iHoliday, as Nielsen now calls it, is dominated by Apple devices on nearly every kid's wish list. Of those ages 6-12 years told, 44 percent want an iPad. Too rich for your blood? You could also choose an iPod touch (30 percent) or iPhone (27 percent), and will still be getting them a top three wish list item.

If your kid is a teenager, there's a good chance he or she also wants iPad (24 percent). The second most wished for item among teens is a new computer, and if you fancy yourself a good parent, you'll go with that instead and pre-load it with Skyrim or Batman: Arkham City.

Interestingly, teens are also showing a strong interest in eReaders this year. At 18 percent, it's tied for second place, maybe because they already have an Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, or Wii console. But hey, whatever the reason, we'll always take it as a positive when teens show an interest in reading.
  • | Post Points: 155
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

If I was in that age group I would take the PC. I remember my 1st one!!!!!!!!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"I'm not surprised at the Ipad being on top, but boy, that's fishy, that kids would prefer a E-reader over a Xbox, while the Kinect is in 7th place, at 23% ??. Edit:Maybe because they already have an Xbox, damn, shot myself in the head."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 4:48 PM

The most reasonable explanation possible; the iPads look wicked cool, all of the kids have iPads, therefore they must want one...

Had this been conducted in 2007, the iPhone would of been on top; it is what it is.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,000
Points 14,435
Manduh replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 5:37 PM

Kids 6-12??? Ok so I just asked my 6 yr old if she wants her OWN iPad for Christmas, she said NO, (yes she knows what it is because she plays on mine all the time). My daughter and her nieces and nephews, as cool as they think the ipad is, they still want TOYS to play with. I just wonder if maybe they surveyed more kids in the higher end of that 6-12 bracket.

As far as video games, she has a DSi with a couple games but even that doesn't excite her as much as her stuffies and toys do. Except the older girls, they're into cell phone but only for texting so again, they don't have an interest in the crazy smart phones. As long as they have cameras they're happy little campers lol

I guess, even though my daughter is growing up in a world of tech, she's still interested in the small stuff (THANK GOODNESS - so much easier on my wallet)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 6:56 PM

All I want is a socket 2011 Extreme CPU and Motherboard.

Really, that's all,......

Oh!,...and one of these too, or maybe two of them,.......

And,..................Smile

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 441
Points 3,420
LLeCompte replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 6:57 PM

all i want is to know the release date of the galaxy nexus, so that way i can know for sure that tmobile is going to get it. Thats all i want, a date, a verizon cant even give it to me....

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

humm, I guess going out side and riding a bike is to much work theses days. My first tech wish was a lego mindstorms set, nothing like being fun and educational. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 292
Points 3,055
Aoshi replied on Sun, Nov 20 2011 3:35 AM

Good kids haha. I was a little spoiled as a kid but I wouldn't get an iPhone if I was that young. I just got an iPhone because it will be very handy for my job. Kids these days. It's pretty bad. I see 11 year old kids walking around with iPhones. They do not need that. Nor do they have the responsibility to handle it.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,000
Points 14,435
Manduh replied on Sun, Nov 20 2011 9:34 AM

I guess I should have read the FULL headline.. it's SPOILED kids who want the iPad, that makes more sense LOL

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Sun, Nov 20 2011 1:23 PM

the rest of the headline:

"and unspoiled kids want to be spoiled. but would settle for anything."

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

realneil:

Haha all of that would be nice but I am not too needy I really want a Deck Legend keyboard :)

Check these sick keyboards out

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

At least "E-Reader" made it on the list

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I have searching past 3 hours in the google. I got exact what I search in your site. Thanks to update excellent post from your end. I congrats to improve peak in future.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Nov 21 2011 11:51 PM

omegadraco:

realneil:

Haha all of that would be nice but I am not too needy I really want a Deck Legend keyboard :)

Check these sick keyboards out

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

Awesome keyboards.

But I've found a keyboard that I really like for my PC's and most people wouldn't understand. Tongue Tied

it's a wired USB Apple Aluminum Keyboard. Yeah, I know I'm gonna hear about it, but I just like the way it types. It feels good to me, so I'm buying them every now and then until all of my PC's have them.

My wife used one of them and ended up stealing it. So I had to replace that one.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

realneil:

But I've found a keyboard that I really like for my PC's and most people wouldn't understand. Tongue Tied

it's a wired USB Apple Aluminum Keyboard. Yeah, I know I'm gonna hear about it, but I just like the way it types. It feels good to me, so I'm buying them every now and then until all of my PC's have them.

My wife used one of them and ended up stealing it. So I had to replace that one.

I am certainly not going to fault you for that I too have used Apple keyboards on PCs before... usually ones that were going in the recycling pile from Mac Pros but even so. They do make a nice keyboard.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

This will blow your minds, I'm 13, and I do a hobby that is pretty expensive, photography....I just got my first DSLR a while back and I'm getting my first L Lens for Xmas, Im not spoiled, I'm just a good kid, I get good grades, I don't talk back, I'm respectful, I open the door for my mom, and I stay out of trouble. An Ipad, come on, really? not that expensive considering what it is, but for a 6 year old, its a little much, but for a 12 year old (considering that I am near 12) is not that really much. 500$ for an Ipad 2 is a great buy and your child is sure to love it. Statistics show that the average american makes 4500$ per month and that the average mortgage is about 2000$ every month, car payments are about 500$ a month (at least thats what we pay) and our other bills are about 750$ (again, our bills and we live in SoCal in corona). So the extra 1250$ a month goes to what? Let me tell you you, if you pay more than 100$ a month in electric, you are crazy. Your cold? Put on a sweater! If you pay more than 150$ a month in water, whats wrong with you? Take a 5 minute shower 2 times a day, and stop overwatering your lawn. Anyways, teach your children responsibility and let them learn. Get them an iPad if they truly desire one, but again TEACH THEM RESPONSIBILITY. I am very well taken care of with my desires, as long as i follow the rules! You should do the same! And I will admit that i have more than most kids (with my android, iMac, Canon 60D, 42" Tv in my room, and king sized tempurpedic bed) but its because i work hard in school and treat everyone well. It's a life lesson, work hard and get things you desire. Another reason I have all my things is because i already have a photography business, I plan ahead for life. Now last thing, if your child is failing school do not buy them ANYTHING! It will not teach them the value of money!

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 750
RSmith replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 11:39 PM

The ratings have to be based on spoiled rich brats that go to private schools and never even see their parents.  I feel bad for them in every way.  My 7-yr-old likes my fiance's iPod touch, but at the same time, for himself, he doesn't want one.  He already has a lot of things to play with, and honestly enjoys spending time with my fiance and I more than anything, no matter what we're doing.  He loves to play with toys, and video games, but couldn't really care less about iPads and such.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
evan5068 replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 10:05 PM

what the hell would you know im 14 and i know better "im close to 12 so 500 $ is not that much" your spoiled my family makes 400 grand a year and my most exspensive gift is 200 also "if your kids get bad grades dont buy them anything"? what the ***? people do your selfs and your wallets a favor and get them a ipod touch. not a smart phone they end up costing like 1600 per year. for a 6 year old its a little much hahahahaha a little when i was six i got a board game. bro your spoiled like a egg. i get mainly A's and some B's and im a good kid too somtimes im a punk ill admit but i dont have a phone, a tv, a ipod. but i do have a twin size bed and a 50$ camera. on christmas have like a 350$ limit. i have an expensive sport, snowboarding. so people use that limit and if your kid(s) has an expensive sport dont make them buy their stuff and buy them a helmet a good coat boots and goggls ect but do not not buy them a gift your kid may have adhd or some learning disorder might be depressed or wants attention. we somtimes are different. that kid above is a example of why not to spoil your kids because then they will think of money as valueless and think of everything as cheap. i am spoiled to, but atleast not too much and i can admit instead of saying "immm noootttt spoooiiillleddd iimmm juuusttt a gooodd kidddd" well im good too

Not Ranked
Posts 75
Points 600
ajm135 replied on Mon, Dec 19 2011 12:41 PM

Why am i not surprised?

Not Ranked
Posts 70
Points 560
DDeveaux replied on Mon, Dec 19 2011 10:56 PM

While disheartening to see this is what our kids are wanting these days, it's not surprising to me in the least.  I got my first cell phone when I was 19 years old (when I could buy one on a prepaid plan).  Why can't kids just be kids like we were back in the day? 

*sigh* 

Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS