Gmail App Returns To iOS

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,407
Points 1,192,770
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Nov 17 2011 12:04 PM

A couple weeks ago, Google released a dedicated Gmail application for iOS. After discovering the app had a bug which broke notifications and displayed an error message, Google removed it from the App Store. Now, the bug has been fixed and the app has returned to the App Store. With the Gmail app, you can be alerted of new messages with push notifications and sounds, search your entire inbox, organize your mail, and much more. The app supports any iOS 4+ device.

Gmail app for iOS available in the App Store (again)

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 | 9:45 AM, Posted by Matthew Izatt, Product Manager

Two weeks ago, we introduced our Gmail app for iOS. Unfortunately it contained a bug which broke notifications and displayed an error message, so we removed it from the App Store. We’ve fixed the bug and notifications are now working, and the app is back in the App Store. For an overview of what’s available in the Gmail app for your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, check out this blog post.

In the short time the app was public we received a lot of helpful feedback and feature requests. This included requests for everything from bigger features like multiple account support to customizations like improved notifications and mobile specific signatures.

We’re just getting started with the Gmail app for iOS and will be iterating rapidly to bring you more features, including all the ones listed above plus many more. Based on your comments we have already improved our handling of image HTML messages - they are now sized to fit to the screen and you can pinch to zoom in.

To try out the Gmail app today, install it from App Store on any iOS 4+ device. Those who already have the Gmail app released Nov 2 must uninstall or log out of the old app prior to installing the new app.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 436
Points 3,395
LLeCompte replied on Thu, Nov 17 2011 2:33 PM

The application basically looks like the one for Android. I installed it on a iphone 3gs I'm going to unlocking try using a iphone. I still feel that if you want a full google experience, you have to get a android device.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Thu, Nov 17 2011 5:27 PM

I don't see a real need for this (for me anyway). The built in email app works great for what I do.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Thu, Nov 17 2011 6:45 PM

Many of these email apps need a mark as read feature. is it me or does the notification number on the icon annoy u? :( lol

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Thu, Nov 17 2011 11:09 PM

about to say- who really would install another app that does the same thing. maybe for ipad. maybe.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS