Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E CPU Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,711
Points 1,208,465
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Nov 14 2011 12:43 AM

Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E ReviewNovember 14th 2011 marks the release of Intel’s Sandy Bridge-E microarchitecture and its companion X79 Express chipset. Sandy Bridge-E is the ‘tock’ in Intel’s tick-tock release schedule cadence, that bridges the gap between current Sandy Bridge processors and next year’s, totally new Ivy Bridge microarchitecture. The first processor to arrive in the SBE line-up is the Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition, a six-core chip poised to knock Intel’s aging Gulftown-based processors from their position atop the PC food chain, one that they've held for almost two years.

We’ve got a Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition in house, along with a handful of X79 Express-based motherboards, and have pitted them against an assortment of high-end processors in an array of benchmark scenarios...

Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E Review

• | Post Points: 230
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,965
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 7:53 AM

Absolute kick-ass CPU and platform!

Intel seems to have hit it out of the park with this new Tech.

Great review Marco, as always,.......

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 10:15 AM

I am underwhelmed by the Single Threaded performance. It is the same or slightly better than the normal Sandy Bridge.

How about some high end gaming benches?

I am concerned that the high end gaming with be about the same on the SB and SBE chips. And if that is the case, it wouldn't be worth it to spend all the extra money for SBE when you can have the same performance in MOST of the things you'll be doing anyway for a lot less.

Great multi-thread performance tho. About a 50% performance increase on some of those test which is about right considering it has 50% more cores.

Also, if you plan on overclocking these things, you're gonna need a pretty beefy PSU.

Anyway, I will probably wait until they unlock the extra 2 cores, and add in all those other features we were promised before I consider one of these. :-)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,113
Points 11,255
CDeeter replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 10:30 AM

Great chip, but doesn't seem to be worth $658 more than an i7 2700. $600 total maybe, considering the i7 would still be half that price.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 10:54 AM

I really like the split memory (2 slots on either side of the CPU socket), not to mention this is I think the first I have seen like this.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,965
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 11:06 AM

I think that the value is in the ~combination~ of the CPU and the more advanced platform that it resides on. Quad Channel Memory for one will be significant once it tweaked for better performance. There are other benefits to the new chipset as well.

I agree that it will take better PSU's to run it and better heat mitigation as well. But there are many very capable PSU's out there now and a whole lot of great coolers too. These tests were done with an Intel branded Water Cooler with a 120MM radiator.

What result would we see with a H100 on it? How about a top of the line Noctua cooler? How about a custom water cooling loop?

Maybe if it was tweaked the way that many enthusiasts will want to tweak it we would see even better performance?

It's interesting to me and I can't wait for more reviews to roll in.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 11:44 AM

I went out and found some other reviews and my concerns for high end gaming have been confirmed.

It is the same and even sometimes slower than the current Sandy bridge. There are also times when it excels.

The only game it held a clear lead in was WoW.

So with better optimization for multi-core chips, i'd assume the advantages of the new SBE will become more apparent.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 11:47 AM

realneil:

I think that the value is in the ~combination~ of the CPU and the more advanced platform that it resides on. Quad Channel Memory for one will be significant once it tweaked for better performance. There are other benefits to the new chipset as well....

if it was tweaked the way that many enthusiasts will want to tweak it we would see even better performance?...

Sure do appreciate an excellent review.& what I like too is about adding the info about the memory available.This would be a must when considering the latest SB-E and carefully select the optimal memory for a build.Looks the the G.Skill's that were used "4GB, DDR3-1866 sticks of memory (total 16GB), model number F3-14900CLQ9-16GBZ" would be an excellent choice. no wonder there is a New Intel  XMP 1.3 memory profile and some further tweaking would be possible.

Looking forward to reading more as more becomes available with the new Sandy Bridge -E platform.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"@Marco, I think your intro to this article really set the tone for what's unarguably the most powerful and exciting processor ever made. Really impressive and the bandwidth advantage of  Quad channel memory is incredible. For workstation purposes there is no better choice. For gamers, I still say that the 2600K is the best value hand down."

"One thing that's against it already is Why did Intel not decide to make available the 3820 at launch, its really going to hurt the platform sales until January. " 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 1:49 PM

the memory split is cool, but why? lol

Loving the chip, sadly i will never get it nor need it but would love to have it :( lol.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 2:41 PM

Nice review Marco... I wouldn't say that it's the fastest though; reading all of those charts, it's only marginally faster then the 990X, I was expecting it to blow it out of the water with it's 32nm manufacturing process and all... I'm still holding out for Ivy Bridge as the die shrink equals up to major performance increases and less heat... I mean 91 degrees on an Asetek cooler? If a processor can do that when overclocked (assuming you didn't put in a second fan for a push/pull configuration) then imagine what Ivy Bridge with it's 6 cores and it's 22nm could do when overclocked... It is surprising that an i7-2600K can keep up with the "fastest processor around".

It's also ironic that a processor like this is priced at $699.99. Compared to the 990x, that is a ridiculous steal... I'm guessing that the $1,000 pricetag will belong to the 8-core version though... Can't mark out that price range for Intel...

As far as the motherboards provided... I'd say that the ASUS and ASRock boards are anybodies good choice. Don't get me wrong, the MSI is good but ASUS and ASRock has the features that the enthusiasts want. Plus they are respectable brands and have much more of a community presence then MSI has... Don't know what the prices are for all of them but I'm guessing they'll be reasonably priced?

Anyway, great review... While I was expecting it to blow it out of the water, what we got was good enough... I'm still holding out for Ivy Bridge though, not wild about Sandy Bridge-E. Those that are wild about it will not be disappointed.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 289
Points 3,150

Great review! I was very impressed with new i7 3960X and little fast than i7 990X. I know Intel i7 990X price will drop little while new flagship i7 3960X at $1000.00. And I enjoyed to read the review about new i7 Extreme Edition based on SBE. It make me wish to have that in next build. One thing is I am looking forward to read some reviews soon.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Thanks for the great reviews as usual. I finally had the opportunity to read through the entire thing this morning. The multi-threaded performance is quite impressive but I feel the single threaded performance has left a bit to be desired even if it still beats the other processors. At this point I am not sure if it is worth spending $300 dollars extra on the 3930 from a 2700K the extreme processors have always been out of most peoples price ranges.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Awesome review marco, great work. Not much else to add to the discussion, it's a beast and performs like one too. A lot of impressive features and the days of a 32gig of ram standard aren't that far off! Can't wait to see some of the other goodies that come along with this release.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Wed, Nov 16 2011 3:03 PM

makes me even more excited for ivy

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 10:25 AM

Good to read this review! Good to keep informed!Yes

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,965
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 11:51 AM

gazd1:

Hey!!

How come there's not someone instantly agreeing with your post?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

realneil:

gazd1:

Hey!!

"LMFAO, @realneil, its usually gazd1 who comments first , then gloriad1 agreeing a while later, that's how it works. Its coming,  wait for it. LOL." 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 1:02 PM

realneil:

Hey!!

Yeah... Where is gloriad1 anyway?

Side note, I'd like to think that gloriad1 is gazd's sockpuppet account; I mean all she mainly does is tell gazd1 that he's right. Sort of like Mr. Garrison and Mr. Hat from South Park.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,965
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 12:57 AM

TaylorKarras:
sockpuppet account

SNORT!

I lost Pepsi through my nose when I read that,.........

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 70
tzaar0723 replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 12:45 PM

It looks like Intel has once again secured their place at the top of the performance pile, but again at a premium price ...

I don't really see too much appealing from a price/performance standpoint to the newer chips over the I-7 K series processors.  I guess if you're wanting the best of the best, the price won't matter, but this is definitely not a mainstream CPU, and not one I'll be able to afford any time soon.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

realneil:

TaylorKarras:
sockpuppet account

SNORT!

I lost Pepsi through my nose when I read that,.........

The entertainment will be almost as good as the Kewl Tower! was.

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 960

This Core i7 3960X price is so high. I wish I had that type of money to spend on just a CPU

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
RDyne replied on Mon, Dec 12 2011 4:01 PM

these are amazing! i want one!

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 455

Core Frequency:

3.3GHz (Up To 3.9GHz w/ Turbo) 3.9 !!!!! OMG !!! 3.....................9 XD

QPI Speed:

6.4GT/s

Number of CPU Cores:

6 (12 Threads w/ HT)

(OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD

I can die happy is i own one of these)

Intel SmartCache:

15MB

L2 Cache:

1.5MB (256K x 6)

Base Processor Frequency: 3.30 GHz

(XD Taking On Extremely High graphic games and shrugging it off LIKA BOSS)

Massive PCI Express Bandwidth: 40 lanes of PCIe supported through the processor

O O

[_] *Sound of Jaw Hitting the floor. *

Intel consider me impressed.

$1000 For this baby now the god like speeds are making sense. Now they just need to make an affordable one,

No Doubt will see it in some New Maingear Computers.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Aydee replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 3:27 AM

The i7 2600k is definitely value for money at this point. This chip (3960x) is just too pricey..

Page 1 of 1 (26 items) | RSS