Nvidia GeForce 285.79 Beta Driver Boosts Performance in Skyrim, Battlefield 3

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,854
Points 1,115,200
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Nov 11 2011 2:46 PM
If you're reading this, it's only because you're stuck at work. Otherwise, you'd be home in your man cave slaying dragons in Skyrim or shooting up your buddies in Battlefield 3. It's a good thing we caught you too, because before you check out for the day and get ready to blow your weekend playing either of the aforementioned games, there's something you should know. If you own an Nvidia graphics card and are willing to roll the dice with beta drivers, you can squeeze out better performance out of either game with the newly released GeForce 285.79 drivers.

These beta drivers are supposed to squash several bugs in Battlefield 3 and make the game run better. The fix applies to both DX10 and DX11 GPUs, so whether you're rocking a newer videocard or a last generation GPU, there's something of interest here for you.

As for Skyrim, Nvidia added new SLI and 3D Vision game profiles. Nvidia did the same for a whole bunch of other titles, but outside of Batman: Arkham City, we can't think of anything else on the list that might suck up your time this weekend.

All that said, keep in mind these are beta drivers, not final releases. That means they could be buggy, so in exchange for better performance and bug fixes, you're also a guinea pig of sorts. In other words, install at your own risk. Oh, and happy gaming! Now if you'll excuse us, Skyrim is calling.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 3:38 PM

Interesting in the fact that both AMD and NVIDIA has problems with Skyrim when it comes to SLI/Crossfire. Though in the case of SLI, NVIDIA did do a bit better on Skyrim then AMD.

Still, it's nice that both companies are trying all that they can to boost the performance of both games for those cards. Battlefield 3 included since it feels like we've had tons of drivers for the Beta and now we're getting an onslaught of drivers for the main game as well. I mean we're customers, we've payed for these cards and now they're giving us drivers that improve the performances of both games.

Even though they're both beta drivers, it's still greatly appreciated.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 385
Jajuka replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 4:31 PM

I really hope these drivers fix the issues I was having with BF3. My framerate was OK, but I had all kinds of weird stuttering in my controls. They did mention that it fixes some stuttering, I just hope it fixes mine.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,925

"I have never been the least interested in role playing games. I tried it out once with Final Fantasy, can't remember which one. Boring like crazy. But lately every one can't seem to stop taking about Skyrim , it must be that good. I'm going to try out , who knows, maybe I'll like it."

"On the subject of driver issues , this is happening way too often on the PC side, the Game publishers and the Card makers need to get their act together."

"Who's at fault here, doesn't  the Publisher allow full access to the game, to GPU manufactures for full validation before it comes out.?"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 5:13 PM

OptimusPrimeTime:
"Who has at fault here, don't the Publisher allow full access to the game, to GPU manufactures for full validation before it comes out.?"

I don't think the fault belongs to either of them... Do note that GPU manufacturers have a hand in the development of games and also note that this problem dates back to way before Skyrim. It's only recent because the hardware sites reporting it are paying too much attention to it.

I mean when Battlefield 2 was released, it wasn't flawless. Both ATI and NVIDIA must have released drivers to fix certain issues in the game that weren't expected... And it's not like the publisher wants to face bad publicity on the day of release, they want their games to be as flawless as possible but despite loads of testing, one or two issues manages to pop out of nowhere, issues that they didn't even expect.

There is no easy solution to this fix, it's just the way the PC is. Only thing we can do is wait and see if the graphics card manufacturers can fix the problems that arise.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 331
Points 2,415

I love Nvidia. Never had problems with their drivers, unlike AMD and the 4850's I should not have gotten. Keep em coming Nvidia.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 10:09 PM

Props, going to download now :), just got home from a long day of fun! :D

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Points 1,390
detnight replied on Sun, Nov 13 2011 5:49 AM

I got the update the day BF3 came out and I have had no problems.

Asus M4A79T deluxe,AMD Athlon II X4 620,PNY GTX285 1gb,Patriot Viper DDR3 1333 8gb,Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro,Diamond ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Comb,Plextor DVD-CD burner,Patriot PS-100 SSD 32gb ,WD 500gb 32mg,Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower,Antec True Power Quattro 1000watts,Toshiba 40in 1080p for a monitor

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Sun, Nov 13 2011 4:13 PM

Wait what? it was just released 4 days ago...

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS