College Grads Say Salary Is Less Important than Facebook Freedom at Work

rated by 0 users
This post has 39 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,178
Points 1,185,785
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Nov 7 2011 8:13 PM
One in three college grads said that access to social media sites like Facebook and the ability to choose their own devices was more important to them than salary when considering a job offer. This according to a study of 2,800 college students and young professionals worldwide conducted by Cisco. More than 40% went so far as to say that they would accept less money for a job that was down with social media at work on a device of their choosing if it also included telework.

The study was intended to determine what the Millennium Generation wants from employers and what they consider to be an equitable work/life balance. Not surprisingly, they overwhelmingly wanted flexible work hours and remote access, with about one-third of college students saying that once they begin working, it will be their right – not a privilege – to be able to work remotely with a flexible schedule.

But the shocker was how strongly these young adults felt about limitations on their social media time.
  • Over half of college students globally (56%) said that if they were offered a job at a company that banned access to social media, they would either turn it down, or ignore it.
  • Two-thirds said they will ask about social media usage policies during job interviews.
  • 41% of those in the workforce said their companies convinced them to take the job by offering them flexible device choice and friendly social media policies when recruiting them.
  • At the same time, almost a third of the employees (31%) said their expertise with social media and devices actually helped land them the job -- employers believing that such know-how would give the company a competitive advantage.

One in three young workers say social media freedom is more important than pay. (source: Cisco Systems)

The demand for flexibility extends to device choice as well.
  • 81% want to choose the device for their job – either receiving funds to purchase the work device or bringing in a personal one in addition to standard company-issued devices.
  • More than three-quarters (77%) have multiple devices, such as a laptop and a smartphone or multiple phones and computers.
  • One-third (33%) use at least three devices for work.
  • 68% believe their companies should allow them to access social media and personal sites with their work-issued devices.
The next workforce clearly believes that work/life balance means that they are melded together, not separate-but-equal. With that view, work spills into social time and social time into work. Social tools also become work tools. While traditional employers may view Facebook or IM as fooling around on the job, social media sites may one day replace e-mail as the collaboration tool of choice for workers. Companies that ban them or view them as evil will not attract new talent, this study suggests, and could make themselves fall woefully behind.
  • | Post Points: 305
Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 775
timaeus replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 10:39 AM

Um, seriously? In this economy, they would turn down a job because they aren't allowed to use Facebook? That's just stupid. I could see maybe using it as a criterion to decide between jobs, if you cared that much about it, but that's a stupid reason to continue to be a burden on your parents.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 910

When it comes to employment, I'm (almost) all about the money. However I want to know if they just surveyed youngsters in certain fields (where telework and high computer/ varied software use is common). I can't imagine a young finance professional or engineer, for example, turning down gigs because they can't work from home or browse facebook during work hours. But I can imagine a young marketing associate doing so.

Then again, the results don't surprise me. Even in this economy, human nature is human nature. If you can score a job with good to great pay, flexible time so you can raise a family, and is highly computerized with the ability to use social media why not go for it? I have a couple of friends who are in such jobs.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

You are an adult now, use LinkedIn!

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 994
Points 14,330
Manduh replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 11:07 AM

I 100% agree with Timaeus's comment! I would never factor in use of social media sites when being offered a job.

Who did they survey? The rich kids who don't need the money or the students who are in grad school to get drunk and laid?

It would be interesting to see what these students' parents thought of their job selection criteria.

Now if they surveyed students who are paying their own way through school and have an understanding of what a salary is, I'm sure the results would be dramatically different!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

What planet are they on..!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 436
Points 3,395

As someone who has been out of college for a year, i can tell you those kids are dumb. To get any job when you get out of college is a god send. If someone offered me 6 figures, but I couldn't use the Internet all day, i would be all for it.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

The demand for flexibility extends to device choice as well. 

• 81% want to choose the device for their job – either receiving funds to purchase the work device or bringing in a personal one in addition to standard company-issued devices. Check 
  • More than three-quarters (77%) have multiple devices, such as a laptop and a smartphone or multiple phones and computers. √Check
  • One-third (33%) use at least three devices for work.√Check 
  • 68% believe their companies should allow them to access social media and personal sites with their work-issued devices.√Check 

"I happen to enjoy those freedoms at work, but I had to earn it. I would never put these optional *privileges* above my paycheck. But I do agree that these Social sites do help a lot of people do their job better, as it has been my case since I keep daily contact with other staff, providers and clients. I also mostly use the extra devices mostly for work related issues and my son."

"But lets put the emphasis on who conducted the survey, Cisco, and their target audience for this finding, college students and young professionals, presumably techies who are growing up in this era of a more connected world. So I wasn't the least bit surprised by the outcome." 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 358
Points 2,565

And the world slowly slides towards hell and chaos.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 4:18 PM

Wheatley:
"I happen to enjoy those freedoms at work, but I had to earn it. I would never put these optional *privileges* above my paycheck.

The paycheck he used to buy his second monitor, which he needed for social networking of course... I mean if he never puts those *optional* privleges above his *paycheck* then why even buy a second monitor for social networking? Facebook is not the world Wheatley.

Wheatley:
Social sites do help a lot of people do their job better, as it has been my case since I keep daily contact with other staff, providers and clients. I also mostly use the extra devices mostly for work related issues and my son."

Wait... Wait... Wait, hold up...

Wheatley:

and my son."

You have a son, why didn't you mention anything about this before?

*cue dramatic soap opera theme music*

Also your job is surrounded in complete mystery, nobody knows what you do... nobody... What's keeping you from revealing what you do right here and now?

Wheatley:
"But lets put the emphasis on who conducted the survey, Cisco, and their target audience for this finding, college students and young professionals, presumably techies who are growing up in this era of a more connected world. So I wasn't the least bit surprised by the outcome."

Nobody was... And let's expand the focus here; Facebook may seem like it's connecting people but it's putting up a fasad of connecting people just so it can make a paycheck of it's own. Sure, people growing up in the digital age will likely have a Facebook account but that's more based on the fact that the corporations, bands, websites and even other people who were sent emails to join Facebook have Facebook accounts, sure; it's part of a more connected world but Twitter, Internet Forums and LinkedIn can also provide a connected world; hell Forums have been providing a connected world long before Facebook popped up.

It was good for connecting colleges but lets face it, Facebook needs work; everything that you do or like is public unless you specify so... And while you may be able to like the companies and participate in games/contests... The companies you like appear on the front page, so with all of the companies that you liked based on the contest or based on what you've seen, it makes you look kind of whorish. I don't like a company unless I buy their products, sure I may be interested but liking them without trying is just wrong.

It also has a funny way of connecting people; I mean you're encouraged to friend people you went to school with or are acquaintances instead of people you truly know. I have one very young person in my family who boasts about his friend count. I mean who cares, you claim to "know" these people but you have nothing in common with them; you can comment on their posts, you can like their posts, you can even chat with them about stuff but the people who you truly have a connection with is more meaningful. I previously wrote a detailed post about this in another thread.

The people who responded that social media is more important then well... a salary are probably the ones who spend most of their time on Facebook, have a smartphone with at least a data plan and spend most of their time sharing content they've seen with friends. While it is true that social sites can do your job better, I think that Facebook is just a waste of time in the workplaced; LinkedIn is less of a waste as it's more professional, lacks all of the fancy dancy stuff that Facebook has and has more professional users then it's competitor. I feel like more people should be using LinkedIn rather then Facebook in the workplace but hey, what do I know?

All in all, this connected world concept has mostly been a bust, due to the corporitization of the connectedness, the number of devices unnecessarily bought and the focus that Facebook connects everybody... I mean it may be big but in no way does it make it good but the young people of the world won't realize that. When they finally make a service that doesn't feel like you're required to have one in any way shape or form and allows for natural communication rather then shrilling, we'll talk.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 47,080
ForumsAdministrator

Manduh:
Who did they survey? The rich kids who don't need the money or the students who are in grad school to get drunk and laid?

LOL-YesBig Smile

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Holy crap is all I can say. I don't understand this at all... I would take a higher salary over being able to access social networking any day. Choosing your own devices as well. WTF! most businesses get a huge discount from buying in bulk.

Most people don't need to ask about social networking policies most companies now have them in their staff handbooks and spell them out in interviews. Also as a network admin I would have someone fired for circumventing the filters in place to protect the network and rest of the staff.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 10:48 PM

my generation. is soooo stupid. seriously. not even surprised.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 11:55 PM

lol Asking if you can use facebook during your interview would throw up a red flag for me that you're gonna be slacking off and updating your status instead of getting the job done.

Anyone... a TON of people use social networking sites at my work anyway. As long as they are not compromising our network or doing something really inappropriate, we don't really care. (i'm working in network security now, so I get to see what websites people are going to :-) )

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 15
arabellaB replied on Wed, Nov 9 2011 12:12 AM

I don't think so but in some people, what is important is their freedom and rights that any other amount they'll receive.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Wed, Nov 9 2011 12:27 AM

This just shows the liberal democrat professors that overpopulate college and university campuses are getting their beliefs to the students they teach.

Work is work damnit. If you want to do personal crap at work do it during lunch and preferably not on any company computer. That company computer aint yours and isnt intended to do anything for you but allow you to do your job. IDK what is with these dilusional dumbnut kids these days. I went to school with most of them to as im a young one but holy crap its called work for a reason, it aint supposed to be fun, if it was it would be called play. Now this doesnt mean you cannot enjoy your job but the social crap unless it pertains to your job IE marketing, sales, etc for work purposes only should it be used.

Obviously some folks parents did not instill in them a solid work ethic much less any respect for the people that will give them their pay check.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
KYang replied on Wed, Nov 9 2011 9:29 AM

Coming from an I.T. perspective from working in the I.T. world for 4+ years and being locked into a cubicle majority of that time, if you don't have access to social media you're going to blow your brains out by the end of the week. The reason why social networks are so popular in the work force is because people are being locked up into cubicles and they need a way of communicating with someone... and I mean ANYONEEE

I now work as an I.T. consultant and have to say run away from cubicle jobs if you can... it's not worth sitting there 40 hrs a week going brain dead... I might work 50 hrs a week as a consultant but it's 100 x's better than sitting around.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Wed, Nov 9 2011 10:56 AM

i've been working in IT for going on 8 years now (I feel like i'm getting old) and my current job is a cubicle job.

I stay off of facebook, google+, twitter, etc. and I am still perfectly sane... mostly....

I occasionally browse the forums.

But if I need a break from my desk I just walk over to the next cube and shoot the ....stuff.... with my co-workers.

If you're hating your cubicle job or feel locked up in there, then the problem is likely that you don't work with people you can connect with. I love my cubicle :-) I have semi-privacy and work with awesome people.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
HDavis replied on Wed, Nov 9 2011 12:47 PM

Wow...just wow. Is social networking that addictive? I mean, i have a Facebook, but holy cow. I feel like me and a few others are the only sane, hard working people in class. Everyone with a laptop, and I mean everyone, in my school surfs Facebook during class. It really pisses me off to no end. I'm studying to become a HS teacher, so I honestly can never be picky with my job. Even if I was in a different profession, I would never be picky with a job, unless I had requests out the wazoo. Also, believing its your "right" to work remotely is bananas. If you're heading into a job for an interview, you have no right to demand or assume anything about your privileges from said employer.

I swear, I'm growing up in a generation full of spoiled children. I'm in school right now, and I am working a full time job. Yeah, its at a Kmart, but its an income. There have been so many kids that come to work there that just stop showing up a week into work. Its infuriating to no end, and as time goes on, I honestly believe that all these wonderful advancements in medicine, technology, networking, transportation and everything else, is just being wasted on the shittiest generation of people.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 50

I've worked in both situations for multiple years. Honestly, I get more done with internet freedom and flex hours.

Why? Because a job where they monitored my internet usage, gave me lectures for coming in 5 minutes late or taking an extra 10 minutes at lunch - I was tied to a clock. Even with mandatory 10+ hour days, I was not focused on work. It didn't even matter if I didn't have work. I was tethered to my desk until that clock ran out. I was overjoyed when I was laid off.

Now I work flex hours and I have internet freedom. My job is not focused on hours, but the work for the day. If I'm here 8 hours or 15 hours to complete it doesn't matter, it's my responsibility to get it done and meet a deadline. My mind is not set on who might be watching what I'm doing right now, but the quality of what I have to show at the end of the day. We manage ourselves.

Keeping myself educated about the latest trends is a big part of my job too. I don't know what you use your social media for, but I end up reading articles like this mostly.

Just because jobs are scarce doesn't mean people should settle for less. Non traditional methods of work do work, even if you have never experienced them for yourself.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

humm I seem to make it through the day with out social media. I dont even use a computer at work (well kind of). 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Nov 9 2011 5:10 PM

KYang:
Coming from an I.T. perspective from working in the I.T. world for 4+ years and being locked into a cubicle majority of that time, if you don't have access to social media you're going to blow your brains out by the end of the week. The reason why social networks are so popular in the work force is because people are being locked up into cubicles and they need a way of communicating with someone... and I mean ANYONEEE

Eh... It's funny how we need social media to communicate with others when we're at the office yet we're surrounded by people everyday, people that we can talk to...

I'm not very sociable so the need for social interaction is not that great (sometimes feel lonely at times) but I do post on the forums alot if that's a consolation prize to you.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Thu, Nov 10 2011 12:47 AM

i would readily delete my facebook page for a raise

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 994
Points 14,330
Manduh replied on Thu, Nov 10 2011 8:49 AM

jonation:

i would readily delete my facebook page for a raise

Hahaha, ME TOO!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

I wonder how many people commented on this during work hours, on a work computer?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Nov 10 2011 4:10 PM

APapadopulos:

I wonder how many people commented on this during work hours, on a work computer?

I'm guessing one, and that's only allegedly...

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

This study isn't very transparent and could be very flawed. If someone asked me if i'd work for a company that bans social media, I have an immediate negative reaction towards that company and in a quick survey might saw no. It would be because that statement creates the image of a stickler company and a negative work environment, not because I can't get through the day without facebook. If someone also asked me "would you ask about social media usage in an interview " my immediate thought is "sure why not, don't want to get in trouble". In reality I would never ask that question in an interview. If these questions were part of a long survey subjects might not have thought more than a second about it. Just because students answered in a particular way to particular questions doesn't mean they are this pathetic... at least I hope they're not

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
EStolfi replied on Thu, Nov 10 2011 8:51 PM

In defense of the students, If you asked me when I was 18 if I'd rather a job where I can check my email at work (pre-Myspace times), I would have said duh. It's like being allowed to make an occasional personal call from work back in the day. It is not until you leave school and become jaded by the job market that you realize you're lucky to make 30k anywhere doing any job, no matter the perks or freedoms you are given. This is a pretty harmless survey of kids who are still optimistic that you can devote 8 hours to a job and still get an occasional break to check in on your social networking account (which as another commenter pointed out, is replacing email rapidly).

Also, if you work for any company that is internet based, has a website, has clients, does marketing, consulting, advertising, or generally wants to make any money at all, it doesn't hurt to have employees that are active on social networking sites and actually appreciate their job and post about it online, put up work related links, etc. I see it all day amongst my peers and I'm a bit older (almost 30). It's 2011. This isn't really as crazy as some are making it out to be. The kids who said they'd turn down a job if they couldn't check facebook will not be doing that when the time comes, but that doesn't make it a crazy thing to want.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 35

I agree with you

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,650
Points 104,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Nov 21 2011 11:07 AM

KYang:
if you don't have access to social media you're going to blow your brains out by the end of the week.

~~~~~What a crock!~~~~~

This just goes to your lack of any work ethic and the fact that you're in IT and can hide your online indiscretions from others. As someone else has already said, you're not there to do personal stuff. You're there to work for the company. So is everyone else out there.

People got along fine without their electronic crutches before they existed. I recently went on a 2 day trip with my wife and we left the cells phones at home and didn't take any technology along for the ride. (except for the Nikon cameras) We had a great time cruising around in West Virginia, shooting Pics, and just mellowing out a little.

You don't really ~need~ your electronics to survive, you just ~think~ that you do. Smile

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 994
Points 14,330
Manduh replied on Mon, Nov 21 2011 12:12 PM

I agree Neil. My last Call Center job allowed use of the computers in a lounge during breaks and lunches. Those were the only computers which allowed any social networking sites in the building. There were 6 in there (if I remember correctly), I think I used them once and on average would only see one or two people using them at any given time.  This is a huge call center with at least 1000 employees where we all sat in cubicles, sometimes having 3 or more people crammed into one.  So I guess that means only about 0.2% or less of the employees would agree with this survey.

As for cell phone use, there wasn't any allowed in the building. If you were caught using yours after a one time warning/reminder, you were walked off the property immediately. This is a fact, I watched 2 people from my training class get walked off for that reason. (due to confidentiality reasons)

Yet, people still want to work there because making a living and feeding their families is more important to them than being able to socialize on the internet.

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 750
RSmith replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 2:36 AM

I think all of these people interviewed were in Central Park during the Occupy Wall Street protests... lol

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
FPar replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 5:56 PM

It's an addiction like any other. Same as if you asked a heavy smoker if he would choose a job where he's allowed to smoke and another where he's not.

These kids were brought up with the media brainwashing, making them believe they need all those cell phones and social media to be accepted socially. I'm not saying it ain't useful and it could have its use in a workplace boosting productivity even. But for many people it would just waste their time and make them less productive. I've had a company once with over 10 employees and I once calculated I much money I lost in a week because many employees were wasting time talking and it racked up pretty fast. Now scale that up to a company with say 10,000 of them wasting say 1 hour a day each on facebook and lets pretend they're only making $10 an hour, well that makes $100,000 loss for that company everyday or  $36.5 million a year loss.

If this was your company would you be happy wasting all that money?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 50

Neil...you are using comic sans. It's painful to read. Also, you started your comment with an insult, followed it up with another, and concluded your statement with a personal anecdote designed to show how intelligient and progressive you are, compared to the person to whom you were responding. All you've done is show how judgemental and inflexible you are.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,650
Points 104,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 11:02 AM

Anniebunny:
Neil...you are using comic sans.

Sorry for your pain. Adjust. Crying

Anniebunny:
All you've done is show how judgemental and inflexible you are

Yes, I agree, I'm terrible. Angel

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 994
Points 14,330
Manduh replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 12:10 PM

Anniebunny:

All you've done is show how judgemental and inflexible you are.

You obviously do NOT know Neil at all. He is the complete opposite of what you said. Also, he is very helpful to those less "intelligent" than him... Trust me I know lol. There is nothing wrong with someone disagreeing with a post here, which is all Neil was doing. If you bothered to get to know the members here you would know we are all opinionated, knowledgeable, and most importantly very welcoming and supportive of others. That's what makes for some pretty good discussions around here :) Hopefully you will get to see that for yourself :D

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,650
Points 104,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 12:18 PM

Manduh:
You obviously do NOT know Neil at all.

That's OK, neither do I. Smile

(Thanks for the kind words)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 47,080
ForumsAdministrator

Anniebunny:
you are using comic sans. It's painful to read.

Comic Sans FTW!YesBig Smile

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,650
Points 104,110
MembershipAdministrator

Super Dave:
Anniebunny:
you are using comic sans. It's painful to read.
Comic Sans FTW!YesBig Smile

I've been using it here since April of 2009, and nobody has ever whined about it before.

It's like Rick Nelson sang,..."You can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself".

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 47,080
ForumsAdministrator

Amen, Brother!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Page 1 of 1 (40 items) | RSS