DirecTV May Drop Fox Programming Over Dispute

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,694
Points 1,156,650
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Oct 21 2011 3:10 PM
If you’re a DirecTV customer, you may have suddenly noticed little messages from DirecTV about Fox while scrolling through the Guide. Apparently, the two are fighting over retransmission fees, with DirecTV threatening to drop Fox programs as early as November 1.

The back-and-forth has gotten a little ugly; both Fox and DirecTV have set up websites outlining their respective positions on the issue.

DirecTV has www.ourpromisetoyou.com, where it asks if we would like to pay 40% more for the Fox channels we already get, because that’s what DirecTV says Fox wants to force us to do. Fox set up www.keepmynets.com, where it states that “DirecTV will drop your favorite shows and games on November 1”. The channels in question include FX, FOX Regional Sports Networks, SPEED, National Geographic Channel, FOX Soccer, FOX Soccer Plus, FOX Deportes, FUEL TV and FOX Movie Channel.

On the “Our Promise” site, DirecTV CEO Mike White posted a statement that reads in part:

“DirecTV’s agreement with with News Corporation/Fox for some of their national cable networks and regional Fox Sports networks is expiring. News Corp has demanded that DirecTV customers pay nearly 40% more for the same channels they already receive. If the new deal is not reached, we will be forced to suspend the channels as early as Nov. 1.”

Fox’s statement on the matter, in full:

“Despite Fox Networks’ offer of an extension during our ongoing negotiations, DirecTV has informed us and their customers that unless we agree to their demands, they ‘will suspend our networks on November 1.’

DirecTV sent us a proposal on Tuesday afternoon. They have given us no chance to respond before taking an unnecessarily aggressive posture and going public. It is disappointing that they have chosen bad faith tactics over meaningful negotiation.

We have proposed to keep the Fox Networks on DirecTV for the same price, and on the same terms as they are currently carried while we attempt to work out a fair agreement. Unfortunately, DirecTV has decided that unless they get their way, they are going to pull the plug on their customers November 1.”

It’s hard to say how long this dispute will last, but DirecTV is proud to say that it usually handles these things in under a month. One thing we know for sure, though: If this dispute causes us to miss Sunday football in November, we will be deeply displeased.
  • | Post Points: 230
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Oct 21 2011 6:27 PM

Didn't we have the same thing with Dish Network a while back?

In any case, I find it completely ironic that a company previously owned by News Corp. is being threatened by News Corp. to pay 40% or else their programming be suspended. I'm not sure which side I'm going with but I'll post back later with my decision.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,559
Points 103,050
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Oct 22 2011 12:19 AM

TaylorKarras:
I'm not sure which side I'm going with but I'll post back later with my decision.

They're both a bunch of jerks. I can live without either of them. And I do,...

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
PMorrison replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 11:13 PM

I can't believe this is happening because I just m,oved to Directv and had to sign a two year contract and this!!!!! Fox is the only channel I watch and I'm so mad!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65
techievega replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 12:09 AM

I remember when this happened with DISH Network last year because I was also working for them back then. Negotiations are irritating and for someone whose favorite channels are affected, it’s more than a little frustrating. I appreciate that DISH was able to sign on a long term agreement with FOX so I don’t have to miss anything that’s on FX or National Geographic right now. I’m not sure that Directv would be able to do the same so if I were in their subscribers’ shoes I would just switch to DISH now.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
TStrother replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 4:56 PM

I watch the channels we will lose about 30% of my TV time. So In fairness, I am sure that Direct TV is going to give us at least a 25% discount for not having these channels. HA_HA Sure

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 6:24 PM

techievega:
I’m not sure that Directv would be able to do the same so if I were in their subscribers’ shoes I would just switch to DISH now.

Don't worry, there's at least a large amount of hope that DirecTV and FOX will be able to cut out a deal. I mean look at Dish Network, look at CableVision, look at Time Warner Cable, all of them have been able to cut deals with their companies that they were having content distribution disputes over, so it would be a major surprise if DirecTV took them off forever, but it wouldn't be a surprise if they worked out a deal within the last second or the seconds after DirecTV pulls fox.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
bkperry replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 1:19 AM

The fact that in these economic times a company is threatening to hike prices for there services by 40% is just plain unamerican. Sure they have good programing but not 40% more valuable than in the past. Get a grip Fox, your not that good. Get over yourselves and get some sence as to how you treat your customer base.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
DPadden replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 8:48 AM

The one channel I do watch now there is a dispute are you people serious?? And as far as the 40% increase really is that worth losing customers over because of your own greed. Figure it out soon or I will take Verizon up on their offer..

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I can't believe that I won't be able watch American Idol plus a lot of other shows I watch on Fox 13....Seriously....I paid for this channel and I expect to have this channel until my contract is finished.....Isn't that what a contract is for oh yeah I forgot the contract is for Directv only not the customers.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 5
clh replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 1:04 AM

We just switched to direct tv too and also locked into 2 year contract. We watch all the channels they are threatening to cancel. I believe if they can't provide the channels we were promised that should be considered breach of their contract and our monthly bill should be lowered or we should have the option of getting out of our contracts. That would be the fair thing to do but we know that won't happen. The customer usually end up getting screwed.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Deboo replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 10:44 AM

If DirecTv gets rid of the FOX network than I will get rid of them, fair warning, I've been with DirecTv for atleast 10 yrs but I will draw the line with the FOX network!!!! If they get rid of those channels that Viacom wants them (or us,should I say) to pay alot more for, the only one out of the whole lineup I will miss is TV Land, but FOX is the ONLY news channel that is non-biased and honest!!!! Hasta La Vista Direc Tv!!!!!!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
wilsoc replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 1:06 PM

I really don't know why directv find it so hard to come in agreement with FOX network I'm sure they know that customers will leave their directv. If I was them I would rethink the dispute. Because if they don't i will leave Directv!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
RDavis1 replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 2:30 AM

Bunch of freakin jerks directv. I watch fox 60% of the time and now we lose it. I am in a 2yr. contract and right now i am so fed up with this crap that i am just going to pay the fee and cancel my directv. I am really suppose to recomend this to my friends? I want to KEEP MY FRIENDS. No way!!!!!! I am one unhappy camper. I give Directv one finger. (not my thumb)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
RDrake replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 6:37 PM

I am so upset with everyone involved as a person on a fixed income i can't afford anymore for tv.These corporations think we have unlimted resources. Removing fox from there program is a real blow to those of us who watch a majority of our programing from these channels. If i can't get fox I think directv should allow us to discontinue there service without penalty and go where we can get fox network

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
farmer replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 2:04 PM

I thank Fox is getting to big for there own good, Why should we pay for there pleaser ??

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
WesHarmon replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 12:23 AM

Fox leaving Directv? don't let the door hit you in the A?? going out the door!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

didnt we go through this once before? ch 31 is a local station and you dont have a right to take it from us--ive been withdirecttv foryears and dont like being forced to choose another media --but if this isnt resilved quickly--i will be forced to thanks for nothing!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,559
Points 103,050
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Feb 21 2013 10:46 AM

Everyone should step back and relax.  The original post was made back in 2011, so there is nothing here to be mad about.

This issue has been resolved. (long ago) If you still have the channels you want, then it was resolved in your favor.

If you do not, then you have already moved on to other programing.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

My Bill gets Higher and the Channels are lower,We went through with the Bet network not so long ago I think it is a crying shame to try and take advantage of People like that, The way times are now!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

why would you switch ?? FOX is horrible and no one reallty wants it ,much less to have to pay an increase to have something you dont watch....You would be better off buying an enquirer magazine than paying for fox networks...at least everyone knows what that is...they dont misrepresent themselves as news...

Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS