Z68 Motherboard Roundup: ASUS, EVGA, ASRock, Gigabyte, MSI, ZOTAC

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,696
Points 1,157,080
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Oct 18 2011 12:39 PM

Z68 Roundup: ASUS, EVGA, ASRock, GB, MSI, ZOTACUntil Intel's next-gen, high-end Sandy Bridge-E and its companion X79 chipset launches sometime this quarter, Sandy Bridge-based family of second generation Core processors and the Z68 Express chipset remain Intel’s premiere desktop platform. It is with that in mind that we've just taken a look at several different motherboard offerings from manufacturers that cover a range of form factors, feature sets, and price points. If you’re on the market for a Z68 board for a new build, odds are one of the products in this round-up will meet your needs...

Z68 Motherboard Roundup: ASUS, EVGA, ASRock, Gigabyte, MSI, ZOTAC

• | Post Points: 110
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"What a way to kick off the day. A great Motherboard round off with a solid line of mobo's at different price points going at each other. I like this because you get to see the strengths of each boards even at the value deferential."

"Seth did a great job a covering the basics, but I have to disagree on the conclusion. Put the Asus Deluxe and the Asrock Extreme7 in front of me to choose, and I would easily pick the Extreme7. Why, first, It has a NF200 Chip, that will allow me to run 3 cards at 16/8/8 as opposed to the Deluxe, 8/4/4, also 16/16 in dual mode, as opposed to 8/8 on the Deluxe. Its Gen3, so it more future proof, double the bandwidth when Ivy Bridge comes. Looks cooler, although the Deluxe looks beautiful in blue I have to admit. Has more Sata ports 10 vs 8, but the Asrock sports 4 extra Sata III as opposed to only 2 extra Sata III ports, thus making a better option for a server type use. "

"One big point is the the Extreme7 has various Video outputs, the the Deluxe has *NONE*. So its ready to use right out of the box without an external GPU. And all those feature for about $40 more, its a steal. There is no other z68 motherboard with a NF200 chips for under $300. The others are the Maximus IV Extreme Z and the UD7 from Gigabyte. One thing that I do like though about the Asus Deluxe is that it has bluetooth"

"So there's my argument. in a dedicated head to head stand off between these two boards, in my opinion, the Extreme7 is the better value."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 3:08 PM

Just read the entire article, every word. I have to say it truly is great; one thing I do notice is that the ASUS, Asrock and EVGA motherboards are at the top of the price point while the Gigabyte, MSI and Zotac are near the lowest price point. Funny, seeing as how those boards aren't the top of the line while the EVGA is, anyway...

We're finally getting to the point where we're able to get 3-Way SLI on Z68 boards; both the EVGA and the ASRock are able to do 16x/16x/8x and that's a major plus if anybody is concerned about 3-way SLI. Not wild about 16x/16x SLI. I've read tons of articles about this and while I thought I needed a motherboard with 16x/16x SLI, I figured out I really don't need it seeing as how 8x/8x SLI/Crossfire performs similarly to 16x/16x SLI. Additionally, I don't even know why I need the 16x, I mean it's not going to matter much when PCI-E 3.0 hits the scene and all the new video cards take advantage of it. The number of motherboards taking advantage of SLI is surprising, it seems like every motherboard here is able to do SLI/Crossfire.

In terms of the stuff you get from the box, I'd say the EVGA, ASUS and ASRock have all of the other motherboard manufacturers beat, but in terms of total value, EVGA hands down has the best bundles. I mean they really care about their customers to include lots of stuff that pertains not only to the motherboard but also to the overclocking and additional ports, plus you can't deny the sweet ass poster you get in the box with every product. EVGA Gaming, how cool that'd be to have that up on the wall if I kept the 2GB 560 Ti, unfortunately it wasn't meant to be.

So in terms of customer service, they're all good but I've only handled one and heard about two. ASUS's customer support isn't tip-top and you may have a hard time getting through to them but if you persist long enough then you might just get the support you need. EVGA has the best support out there in terms of well, everything. Lifetime warranties, local support, great RMA policies. Gigabyte's support from what I've heard is okay but they are reliable.

In terms of product quality, there's no clear winner since all of them are similar. Those looking for 3-Way SLI will go for the ASRock or the EVGA though EVGA does tend to be very good with their product quality (they do build it themselves and they do manage to use quality components, plus it overclocks amazingly well. (even further if you LN2 your CPU.)), plus EVGA does have a bit more then the ASRock but at an oddly lower price. (note that the ASRock is the most expensive motherboard in the lineup, more so then the usually expensive EVGA, and ASRock is usually known for cheaply priced motherboards.)

If 3-Way SLI is not your thing then you're decision is either the ASUS, Gigabyte or the MSI. I can't judge each of them individually and none of them appear to be a clear winner but I will say that ASUS has a good reputation and good quality motherboards, even though their support isn't up to part. Gigabyte's are not Motherboards you should ignore, I mean I've had a MicroATX one for LGA755 and while it wasn't feature packed, it did have good overclocking features and it didn't break down on me at all, so they're good overclockers. Don't care if it has a non-EUFI BIOS. If it overclocks well and if it works well for what I do then it's a purchase. MSI has good support from what I've heard and if you do get it then you'll at least be guarrenteed the "Military Grade" components they place in the motherboards, not only does it overclock well from what I've heard but I've also heard that it lengthens the lifespan of the motherboard as well, plus they've got a really good track record; I mean have you even seen their graphics cards/motherboards, they practically make them from scratch. The Zotac is what it is.

I suppose the Z68 chipset makes it so that there's no clear winner in the motherboard war but the high-end does have the EVGA motherboard which I think is a better value then the ASRock, still; both are good on their own merits. Also I don't think Video outputs should matter much in a motherboard, I meant it's nice but to use it then you'd probably have to get a CPU that has a GPU built into it, and god knows enthusiasts will not be buying one of those CPU's. Plus the cost of internal GPU's have lowered drastically, and there is no reason for you not to have one; at all. None.

Great job Seth.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

I like the looks of the Asus board as well.

I wonder why the Deluxe has PS2 ports on it but the Pro has the newer and better USB ports only?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,563
Points 103,070
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 11:46 PM

Good reveiw Seth.

I like the ASUS board the best, and as usual, the ASRock board as well.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
ldillon replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 5:18 PM

Is there a way to get to a command-line UEFI version if the GUI version crashes?

Every line of code is another chance for a bug cropping up.

I really don't need a flashy BIOS replacement. I just want something that works. The beauty of EFI on systems the HP's Integrity line is that you can access it remotely through a terminal

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 6:44 PM

ldillon:
Is there a way to get to a command-line UEFI version if the GUI version crashes?

Not that I heard of. Don't get me wrong, a command line does make sense (even though you don't entirely know how to use all of the fuctions.) but I don't even see any reason for manufacturers to include it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,563
Points 103,070
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 7:58 PM

ldillon:

You don't need it.

You can load a viable BIOS onto a flash drive with another PC and have it plugged in when you boot. The system scans it and see's the bios and asks if you want to flash. You just do it and you're back in action. (I had to do this once when a BIOS update failed due to a power surge)

The new UEFI BIOS's are a pleasure to use so far. I have three of them, all on ASRock boards.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
AAshley replied on Thu, Oct 20 2011 1:03 AM

I actually have the Gigabyte UD4 and as such i wouldnt recommend it or the UD3 if you plan on using the built in RAID or the accel features of the Z68.

The Gigabyte boards do not have a true UEFI its just a hybrid that lets you boot a 3TB hard drive if its plugged in. If however you plug that same 3TB drive in, and pair with a SSD for acceleration using the capabilities of the Z68 chipset the board will no longer boot in UEFI mode, it will only boot in BIOS mode which means Windows can only see the first 2TB of the disk.

The other fun quirk is that if you have that 3TB array in the RAID when the board boots the Windows boot DVD it will boot it in the hybrid UEFI environment so windows will install expect UEFI then when you reboot, no system drive found as the RAID is booted without the hybrid UEFI environment.

If you're getting one of these stay well clear of the Gigabyte boards.

Not Ranked
Posts 75
Points 685
Atticus14 replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 5:27 AM

I like this review a lot but I would like to see some more specifications in the tests mostly from my gaming perspective as there are some startling results when it comes to difference in fps numbers. Now i realize low res is used to exclude the gpu as much as possible from altering the results (much like a cpu test) but when motherboards are showing 10 fps gaps thats pretty significant, but is it relevant?

Most gamers are probably pushing 1080p these days, does a board actually make a difference at that res? This would be more important to test using cpu intensive games I assume.

Are the tests run once or multiple times with consistent results?

a 5-10 fps difference is about a $50-$100 difference in GPUs it would be nice to see if certain motherboards are just better for gaming (At high res).

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 6:17 PM

Atticus14:
Most gamers are probably pushing 1080p these days, does a board actually make a difference at that res? This would be more important to test using cpu intensive games I assume.

I would have to say no because a CPU would not be able to handle all of the graphical work at that resolution. Therefore the GPU's taking over and the CPU's playing less of a part in the graphical performance (as in performing it all themselves.) and I've looked at various results, few boards actually make a difference.

Same with the certain motherboards, it all performs the same. It's only the specific features (like overclocking and gaming and X-Fi sound and also the quality of the components) that make it stand out from the pack.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS