NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 and The Asus VG278H LCD Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,323
Points 1,190,730
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Oct 14 2011 9:45 PM

NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 and The Asus VG278H LCD ReviewOn many levels, 3D Vision 2 is very similar to 3D Vision. The technology works in exactly the same way. It uses the same software, and the new glasses we’ll be showing you are backwards compatible with the original emitters. Conversely, the original 3D Vision glasses are forward compatible with newer 3D Vision 2 kits. But NVIDIA has made a number of physical and technical tweaks that enhance the technology in a few key ways. NVIDIA has redesigned its active-shutter glasses and incorporated 20% larger lenses and worked with ecosystem partners to bring new, larger, full-HD 3D Vision compatible monitors to market. They’ve also developed a new technology dubbed LightBoost that ultimately results in brighter on-screen imagery and better environmental lighting characteristics as well...

NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 and The Asus VG278H LCD Review

• | Post Points: 230
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Wow, I was just searching all over for more info on this monitor since Asus announced it in a Contest earlier today. Good to have this review right away. Those are some cool looking glasses , reminds me of Kill Zone 3 for some reason. The price is a tad expensive, but so are the 3D Samsung 27 inchers, though those are thinner. I don't mind that its 1080P and 27", I don't think 3D, for the time being, works beyond that resolution and movies default to 720P in 3D right? Good to see this out, Asus makes some great monitors."

"If anyone is interest in winning one of these , Heres the link : http://promos.asus.com/us/VG278H Enter by making a Facebook comment."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 10:37 PM

Just read this... I do think that NVIDIA's 3D Brightness is somewhat of a gimmick seeing as how most 3D monitors have a setting that allows you to increase the contrast. Other then that, the bigger glasses are a nice improvement.

The ASUS monitor, great as always... Nice to see such a respected brand be the first to be won in a "Facebook" contest and the first to use NVIDIA's 3D Vision 2.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Great Review Marco I but I gotta ask how is the clarity while gaming? I guess I just equate 3D to being kinda blurry.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Sat, Oct 15 2011 12:16 AM

@Taylor - Brightness and contrast are two different things And Lightboost is far from a gimick. The LED backlight pulseing and extra brightness has a huge affect on brightness and eliminates the need to black out both lenses, which lets more light through to your eyes.

@ThunderBird - There is no blurriness involved per say. There is always some 3D ghosting which can be perceived as a blurring effect, but it is not scene-wide and usually affects only part of the screen when / if it happens.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
RRahim replied on Sat, Oct 15 2011 12:24 AM

Thanks for the great review, and so quickly as well!

All i need is a release date and i'll be ready for this!

Been waiting for almost a year for this monitor, and it seems that it isn't going to disappoint

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
DBona replied on Sat, Oct 15 2011 7:42 AM

I recently bought the Acer 27 HN274H. The monitor is the best 2D gaming monitor I ever owned. Bright, great color picture all while gaming at 120FPS with vsync on. Very nice.

Turn on 3D mode and it's another story. Even with spending a ton of time tweaking color settings, factory settings, contrast, etc, Image is almost unbearably dark and the "Crosstalk" double imaging bleeding through looks terrible and kills the 3D experience. Even sadder is that many reviews said that it was the best 3D experience to date, even more so then the 24" alienware models.

My main question before I buy this new model and 3D vision 2 is simple: Is the Crosstalking really reduced? How much? Is it still really noticeable in gaming? I don't mind a TINY bit, but if it's as clear as day then I won't even bother.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,681
Points 104,280
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Oct 16 2011 12:20 AM

If I were going to take a chance on a 3D screen, It would probably be this one.

I liked the review Marco, what a lot of information, explained in plain-speak, that anyone could understand.

Thanks,......Yes

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

It would also have been helpful to know whether it would be worth it to pair the new glasses with an existing 3D monitor and whether the new glasses work with existing receivers.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
DBona replied on Mon, Oct 17 2011 12:06 AM

Both the monitors, and the glasses, are compatible with each other. 1st gen monitor + 2nd gen glasses works, 2nd gen monitor + old glasses works. But Nvidia recommends using 2nd gen with 2nd gen to get the best results.

Basically aside from the size/shape of the glasses, not much has changed.

The huge improvement is coming from the monitor, which reduce "crosstalk" /' double images and increased brightness of the image when 3D is turned on.

I'm hoping that someone who's had hands on with the monitor can tell us if the crosstalk is really reduced, and by how much. I can't stand crosstalk, it kills the 3D effect for me.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
RRahim replied on Mon, Oct 17 2011 9:02 PM

Is there any word on the release date of this monitor as yet?

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 250
ATigre replied on Mon, Oct 17 2011 10:35 PM

This will eventually slip into the laptop domain as well.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50
turkeyfox replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 1:19 PM

L4D2 in 3D sounds incredible.

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 285
JOliver replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 6:07 PM

We need much faster response for TN panels as currently the use of slower response panels with Overdrive to increase the response time of crystals is what is causing some of the issues with crosstalk/ghosting. The 3D Lightboost technology is good innovation to increase the brightness in stereo 3D mode, but apparently it does not help much in reducing crosstalk/ghosting.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 7:06 PM

JOliver:

We need much faster response for TN panels as currently the use of slower response panels with Overdrive to increase the response time of crystals is what is causing some of the issues with crosstalk/ghosting. The 3D Lightboost technology is good innovation to increase the brightness in stereo 3D mode, but apparently it does not help much in reducing crosstalk/ghosting.

Well what do you expect; we haven't reach the point where OLED's are on the market in drones... OLED I think is good as a successor but only if they fix the flaws such as short lifespan, reducing burn-in... FED was a suitable replacement but Canon stopped production on it so I guess we'll never know how it turned out...

I do think that the Planar SA2311W is the best 3D Vision monitor out there, it's so good in fact Planar needs to step up to the plate and make a sequel; maybe with the gimmicky Lightboost technology that does seem slightly useful. Personally I think that the SA2311W and it's contrast setting is good the way it is, mainly because Planar was a 3D display maker before 3D Visions screens became widespread; therefore their experience passed down to this very monitor; still hate that it's a TN screen though but hey, what are you going to do?

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 960

Anyone here actually bought both of these NVIDIA 3D Vision?

Really want to know if there is a huge difference in term of visual effect. Soon or later, I'll purchase a 3D for myself since I love watching movies you know

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Dec 7 2011 7:47 PM

JuicyFruitSweeT:

Anyone here actually bought both of these NVIDIA 3D Vision?

Really want to know if there is a huge difference in term of visual effect. Soon or later, I'll purchase a 3D for myself since I love watching movies you know

Well HotHardware already reviewed the ASUS monitor and the visual effect is better from what I read but I still think of gimmick mainly because of the "pulsing claim". I mean all it is really is just them increasing the brightness so that the image would appear brighter when seen from 3D glasses.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sun, Dec 11 2011 11:37 AM

This is amazing, the technology that is being developed the shutter glasses have been improved, but i believe they wont catch on. It is more plausible that people will use the glases free version of 3-d sreens.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sun, Dec 11 2011 11:38 AM

That being siad i would kill to have the new kinect starwars game with the glasses and monitor, that would be the most effectice use ever for this product.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35
aj34 replied on Tue, Dec 13 2011 12:10 PM

Review was great! When is the release date?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

very cool not if there were only more monitors that could run 120hz.. That Asus screen looks sweet! but not $700 sweet. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 70
Points 560
DDeveaux replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 6:03 PM

Agree completely.  Where are all the 120Hz monitors?  As I'm looking for a dual monitor setup, the price of the ASUS displays is way out of reach for me (since I want two of the same display).  

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS