id's Rage: Flawed, Flat, But Occasionally Fun - HH Games It

rated by 0 users
This post has 34 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,791
Points 1,212,720
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Oct 13 2011 10:33 AM
Rage is id Software's first game in seven years and its lead developer, John Carmack, has more than earned a spot in the video game industry's all-time Hall of Fame. Rage, however, unfortunately doesn't live up to its pedigree. While it's not a bad game, it's a shadow of what we hoped for.

The game takes place 106 years after Earth is struck by the asteroid 99942 Apophis. Prior to the disaster, the US government created a number of Arks as part of a plan to ensure human civilization wouldn't be irrevocably wiped out by the asteroid's impact. You awaken as the sole survivor of your Ark, stagger outside, and are nearly killed by mutants. A local roughneck, Dan Hagar, shoots them off your back, offers to give you a lift to the nearest settlement, and the game begins.

• | Post Points: 215
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 10:51 AM

Could you guys get some frame rates on a few different hardware configurations so we can know what kind of hardware you need to run this game?

Also, it looks pretty good!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,698
Points 55,965
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 10:57 AM

Unfortunately benchmarking with the game is not easy. You have to use FRAPS and it causes issues with the game. We're looking into it.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Thanks for the heads up. I admit I was never wild about Rage, but I might just give it a try. It will make a good Sunday day off gaming session. Suck for the bugs, I have a 4870 X2  and I like the better gaming visual it provides over my Consoles. One problem is I'm better at FPS games with the PS3 controller because that was what I was used to before I bought the X2.  great review nonetheless. "

Joel H:
t$60 is a lot to play for a game with a 10-12 hour campaign and the depth of a box of kitty litter.

"LOL, favorite quote. Anyhow, @ Joel, what happened to your Battlefield 3 Beta Analysis? I was looking forward to it. Also, what was your test set up for this review, are you still using that Origin Genesis rig with the dual 5970's?"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I had high hopes for this game after the preview. I'm a sucker for eye candy! I guess I'll wait a few months for it to go on sale. Thanks for the review Joel, good work.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

I'm liking the game alot myself, but it deffinately fell short of what I was expecting by quite a large margin. The gfx are a mixed bag, the combat is solid though very average and the story... what story?! :p Performance is at least good on my rig with the patch and some config tweaks helping greatly.

Great review guys!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 2:23 PM

Just looked up the demo. It seems pretty neat, love the weapons they have xD

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
EPalmer replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 2:38 PM

The problem is that the game was created for consoles, which i read some industry analysts' predicting Zenimax revenue approaching 94% from this medium for this game. As a console game it is excellent, as a PC game....it is lacking. Decent for Bethesda, far far too short for id standards. Maybe our standards are too high but if so, it is id's fault... :D

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,698
Points 55,965
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 7:16 PM

I can't disagree with these observations at all actually. And yes, id did set their own bar rather high. But hey, when you're an industry icon, with the resource they have, you have to deliver.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 7:57 PM

When I first saw some of the screen shot and read some of the reviews just said OK looks like fun, a bit buggy maybe  and hey I can get by without a story for graphics like this besides the weapons like fun too.Just not wanting to spend full price ,therefore not much to No about it. yeah seriously id defintely got the $$ and smarts to deliver.

by the time I get the game [not full price if possible] the patches may be in ,not only that I sorta schtink playin but have fun either way

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,775
Points 105,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 8:15 PM

rrplay:
I sorta schtink playin

Yeah, you're an old fart like I am.

What reactions?

Where the heck did THAT come from??

Can't these guys slow down a little?>?

Oh Crap,...fragged again!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 8:51 PM

realneil:
What reactions?

Where the heck did THAT come from??

Can't these guys slow down a little?>?

Oh Crap,...fragged again!

One thing for sure that you may have noticed when you can't CRS  or have those 'madcow' moments... is that the gaming experience awakens those 'funky' ol' brain cells whether they are needed for story line ? who cares ? ...>> so what  ! CRS will take care of that while the "brain chill" kicks in trying to remember what weapon to use & mousy button  mmmmm....  .... ... . ..

Oh cr^p  ..fragged again ! Embarrassed

Look at he bright side Idea We might actually get a few extra hours of play-time  ! sorta built-in  Wink and some folks may be envious.Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 8:53 PM

"$60 is a lot to play for a game with a 10-12 hour campaign and the depth of a box of kitty litter."

By game standards this is pretty steep. But by entertainment standards it's a pretty good deal.

People pay $15 or $20 for a new DVD or Blu Ray respectively (after the week of their release they usually go up to $20 and $30) for 1hr 30mins - 2hrs of entertainment for the average movie and you could end up with a movie with a terrible storry but lots of eye candy. But for the movie you end up paying more per hr of entertainment.

You're paying $7.50-20 /hr for the movie versus $5-6 /hr for the game. So it's hard to say any game isn't a good value when you take that into consideration.

Anyway, I hope the bugs get worked out soon. I'll probably pick this one up when it goes on sale on steam for like $20 :-P (yea I know after my rant about games' value lol)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,775
Points 105,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 9:04 PM

CRS is "can't remember sh*t?"

I agree about the extra play time built-in for old farts.

Who knows if I'll ever finish it at all?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 9:58 PM

realneil:
I agree about the extra play time built-in for old farts.

Who knows if I'll ever finish it at all?

more of an ol' kat here .so what  you think Neil about 4hrs 'bonus' hours should we remember to finish playin ?..nice to have the math thingy that @acarzt did Yes

acarzt:
...You're paying $7.50-20 /hr for the movie versus $5-6 /hr for the game. So it's hard to say any game isn't a good value when you take that into consideration.  I'll probably pick this one up when it goes on sale on steam for like $20 :-P

not to hard to figure out ..by the way what a sixer of PBRs or Bud going for in your neck of the woods ? Beer  good enough feedback and positive arguments for me to check this game out. esp later like $20 TY .Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645
omegadraco replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 11:01 PM

Definitely will be waiting for this game to drop in price and for it to mature a bit. Plus I don't really have a machine that will run it very well.

BTW I know this is a hardware site but I think a lot of us enjoy PC games and are enjoying the occasional review of games here :) (So thanks)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,775
Points 105,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 11:15 PM

rrplay:
by the way what a sixer of PBRs or Bud going for in your neck of the woods ? 

I don't know,....I haven't had anything to drink in years. Being Diabetic, I get sick when I drink. Smile

(I'm Boring, I Guess)

I've tried this game on my iPad of all things and I enjoyed it enough to decide to get it for the PC. But I'll also wait for a Steam sale before I get it.

(Or I'll win a download code from HotHardware.com)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 1:14 AM

Nice review. I admit I was kind of drawn in by the details and the early screenshots of Rage on the iD Tech 5 engine but I was turned off by the reviews in the same way that I was with Duke Nukem Forever. I mean the graphics look good but if it's as repetitive as they say it is then why should I plop down $50 bucks for this baby. I admit, I may try this game the same way with Duke Nukem Forever (which I have not also tried) but for right now I'm saving my money for bigger and better games.

Also funny story, I'm one of the few not bothered by the enemies spawning out of nowhere in Doom 3. More so, I was bothered by the inaccurate guns in the game that didn't do as much damage as I thought they did therefore leading me to spray and spray and get frustrated... Thankfully, there are mods to fix this. The best part about Doom 3 is that it's graphics can be upgraded to look as nice as the modern games out there; hell I have a mostly modded copy of Doom 3 on my hard drive, and I have to say it looks pretty good.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 1:20 AM

I was excited for this game but the linear paths make me yearn for open pastures. This could have been a really great one too :( Alas, we must wait for Skyrim to make up for this...soon so soon *drool*

"I have the power!!"

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 510
DHampton replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 5:55 AM

Great game looks sharp for systems that can run it on high need a 580gtx plus to see at full glory which textures are amazing. To keep at playable settings you will need a 5450.Pretty much any none notebook guad core will run this game fine. At least 4 gigs of ram also. Its barely long enough to fall into a good game category it is fun and dynamic. That being said I tons of issues I had to manually create files to play. And had to use 3 separate drivers to make it all the way through the game.

Fun good length 16 plus hours if your completeionist has many familiar features plus some new ones. You wont like this game if your not a completionists only like 8 hours worth of game if your a point a to point b. Also wont like this game if you cant stand re use of other popular game features alot of inspiration came from many other games. Or cant /wont use google to figure out how to make missing config file ect.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 6:51 AM

Thanks Dave, I think I will not have to worry about getting this game now & save some needed cash.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 8:04 AM

realneil:
.... I enjoyed it enough to decide to get it for the PC. But I'll also wait for a Steam sale before I get it.
(Or I'll win a download code from HotHardware.com)
***good enough for me ! meanwhile maybe we can all keep an eye out for some sweeps / giveaway for the game keys>> post & share it and a lucky HH member can win one .
TaylorKarras:
...The best part about Doom 3 is that it's graphics can be upgraded to look as nice as the modern games out there; hell I have a mostly modded copy of Doom 3 on my hard drive, and I have to say it looks pretty good.
***No doubt about that with the Doom 3 engine it still looks pretty good to me have it installed and tweaked a bit and some of the mods are a blast.Not all that sure but maybe Rage will go on ot better things in future versions or some 'spify' mods will come along the way.The one I have been waiting for is Prey 2 which should be out Post Piledriver ? next year.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,083
Points 11,725
Joel H replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 3:45 PM

Acarzt,

I don't think that's an accurate comparison. I don't compare games to movies--if I'm in the mood to watch a movie, I watch a movie. If I'm in the mood to play a game, I play a game. If I buy a game with a 5 hour campaign, I don't compare it to the price of 2-2.5 movies, I compare it to the cost of the 50-hour game I could've bought.

If Rage was a $29.99 title, I'd say hey, go for it. It isn't--and there are better games to drop $60 on.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Played through twice now and the worst thing about the game is that it's way too easy. On hard difficulty I got through with less than 10 deaths and on normal around 5. I felt like Crysis 2 was a cake walk and this was alot easier. lol

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 10:08 PM

recoveringknowitall:

Played through twice now and the worst thing about the game is that it's way too easy. On hard difficulty I got through with less than 10 deaths and on normal around 5. I felt like Crysis 2 was a cake walk and this was alot easier. lol

Well what can anybody say; games in this day and age are no longer hardcore, but significantly games with reduced difficulty and striped-down features. (BioShock for example.)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Bioshock is awesome so I dunno what you're talkin about. Not hatin just a bit surprised by your pov.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 10:38 PM

recoveringknowitall:

Bioshock is awesome so I dunno what you're talkin about. Not hatin just a bit surprised by your pov.

yeah I like Bioschock ..  Yes had a nice little weekend playing around with it a short while back   for some brew Beer and play - time ..

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 10:56 PM

recoveringknowitall:

IMO BioShock is pretty overrated. I mean they do get points for coming up with an imaginative city (Rapture), they did add a lot of backstory into the mix and most of the environments were good and I admit, most of the plasmids were fun.

The faults however are numerous. Coming from a guy who really liked System Shock 2, I was shocked to see the whole game dumbed down for console users, no longer do we have the same kind of flexibility that we had in System Shock 2, nor the exportability, there are some rooms but the whole thing just goes around in a circle, and there's barely any backtracking of any kind whatsoever through any previous levels. And the enemies are interesting at first but once you progress through the game you find them to just be boring since all they do is attack and attack and attack and barely show any personality.

Another thing is the plasmids, while they may seem cool and the combinations you can do with them are interesting; there are a limited number of combinations you can do and once you learn all of them; the interest factor goes down significantly. Adding to that is some of the plasmids aren't even really even needed (Cyclone Trap and Insect Swarm to list a few.); I can say that the gunplay and the option to upgrade your guns is good though...

The Big Daddy and the Little Sister thing is described well and is even well layered out throughout the game but when it comes to the morality thing; it's just really limited. See, you can chose to save them or kill them and that's cool at first but soon you find out that the game only allows for a good ending or a bad ending; you can save half of the Little Sisters and kill the other half of the Little Sisters and yet you'd get an ending which is dark but has a hint of white in it. So the route you take and the ending you get is either black or white.

I did not like the overall story of the game, something which was lifted from System Shock 2 (guy meets friend, friend navigates him towards Rapture, friend then promises to meet him, friend turns out to be the enemy, guy has to fight the enemy, boss defeated, game over.) The underlining story of Andrew Ryan, Morality, and Coruption is the best part of the story, and the part where Andrew Ryan confronts Jack is good, but overall I'm just disappointed with the story mostly being from System Shock 2.

I also got to fault some things where the theming of the city starts to look like a themed restaurant or in the case of the last level, a video game level that does not fit in with Rapture... I mean I get that they're technologically advanced but everything has to feel consistent/real, nothing has to stand out or take you out of the game.

I do have to mention the Big Daddy Suit at the end and how that was cool in the sense that it changed up the whole dynamic of the game but if you do leave with the suit on, be aware that you may find the game really boring since all you can do is explore and kill enemies.

So yeah, BioShock is a good game but it's severly overrated in a ton of parts; (BioShock 2 and it's future successor BioShock: Infinite is a notable improvement from the original.) It's also one of the games that dumbs down the mechanics to reach a wider audience. (You know, the one who wasn't raised using a mouse and a keyboard and faced hard-as-hell AI that took you multiple tries to get pass...)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
TWiseman replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 2:42 PM

I have a Radeon HD 4870 X2. The drivers are not presently equip to handle the graphics. Lots of tearing and blocking of texures. I am going to have to get a 2 to 4 gig video cards. I might as well get the GTX 590, the Radeon 6990 is too loud, and the Asus Mars II is to expensive.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,083
Points 11,725
Joel H replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 2:46 PM

The tearing and a certain degree of texture pop-in are present on most cards. More horsepower won't prevent it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,775
Points 105,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 11:02 PM

Is there a fix planned?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 5:56 AM

Well there's a patch coming to fix the texture issues if that's what you're suggesting.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,775
Points 105,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 12:58 PM

TaylorKarras:
Well there's a patch coming to fix the texture issues if that's what you're suggesting.

Not suggesting, just asking. Smile

I had already decided to wait to buy this title when it goes on sale somewhere, probably STEAM. It's good, because maybe it will work better when I do end up with it.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
BBarker replied on Tue, Nov 1 2011 7:48 PM

I loved the game. Hands down satisfied. As for specs.. I run a i7, 6bg, Nivida 460m (1920x1080) and get 60fps no prob. I think thats the max.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
knightm7 replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 2:56 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I'd be playing it on ps3, but I'm sure issues are the same, aside from the controller. I'm enjoying Marvel Pinball over here! Skyrim and FF XII-2, summer baby.

Page 1 of 1 (35 items) | RSS