MSI 870A Fuzion fried transistor?

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
Phas3Zer0 Posted: Tue, Oct 11 2011 6:55 PM

Hi, Basically I had this over clocked for some time and just happened to walk out of the room for a few minutes only to come back to a black screen and a computer that wouldn't turn back on. After some troubleshooting I realized the computer would only turn on when CPU1&2 power connectors were unplugged, so I tried another power supply and what I assume is a transistor started smoking and then caught on fire. I really don't want to spend the cash to buy a new board and would like some info on repairing this myself. The number on the Chip is (NIKOS P0803BDG UND3M0C98) I will post a pic of the damage.

Damaged transistor 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Oct 11 2011 7:45 PM

I hate to say this, but I don't think you can fix it. For one, fixing motherboard requires an intricate knowledge of electronics and the skill to solder properly; secondly, even if you do learn this, it'd be nearly impossible because even if you had the part, you'd have to retrace the wires of the motherboard (Judging by the burn marks, the damage around that area looks pretty severe.) and there's no guarantee that it will even work at all... Same for asking someone to fix it, nearly impossible.

If you're still under warranty with MSI, I suggest that you contact customer support and see if they won't replace the parts. If not then I thing your only choice is to buy a new motherboard.

I'm sorry for your motherboard man, electricity can be a *** when it comes to power supplies; hell I've had one PSU that burned the motherboard pins; right now I'm scarred to overclock due to those darkened pins blowing up in my face if I attempt to overclock. But still, HH is here for you if you have any problems.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,462
Points 46,945
ForumsAdministrator

That transistor got smoked! It should be fairly easy to solder a new transistor in it's place - if you can locate one. You might find a Chinese seller using Google, but usually they want you to order a minimum number of transistors (say 5 or more). This could actually work for you as long as the transistor failed on it's own. If something else shorted-out and killed that transistor, you will probably just end up smoking the replacement, too. Good luck, and welcome to HotHardware!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
Phas3Zer0 replied on Tue, Oct 11 2011 10:00 PM

Thanks for the help. I found the company that makes the MOSFET I need, but I will most likely just RMA to MSI if they will let me. I didn't register my product when I purchased it and no longer have the invoice...

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS