Samsung / Google Android Event Scheduled for Oct. 4

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,873
Points 1,172,935
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Sep 29 2011 10:27 AM
One week after Apple's "big event," which is the introduction of the next-generation iPhone, or iPhones, Google and Samsung have scheduled their own "big event." October 11, 2011, will be the Samsung Mobile Unpacked Google Episode, where folks will be able to "get a look at what's new from Android."

We already know the answer to part of that: "Ice Cream Sandwich," which is still to receive a number, but which we'll guess is 4.0. ICS is supposed to unify the tablet and smartphone experiences on Android devices.

The second thing they will introduce is some sort of Samsung Android phone. It will be the next-generation of Google developer phones, the successor to the Samsung Nexus S which was in turn the successor to the HTC Nexus One. The current name being bandied about is the Samsung Nexus Prime.

It's all rumor, and would be discounted as inferior to an iPhone 5 by iDevice fans, but the Nexus Prime is rumored to be a super-phone, hardware-spec wise. It will carry the requisite dual-core processor, with 4.5-inch or 4.65-inch screen, and will include 4G. For the first time, also, it's rumored Google will move away from an unlocked phone, one that will work on T-Mobile or AT&T frequencies, and put the device on Verizon's LTE network.

These Google developer phones are always stock Android, and that means that they don't carry anything like TouchWiz or Sense, and that carries with it the added benefit that they are generally the first devices to get major platform updates (since there's no extra UI layer to worry about).

For iDevice lovers, Oct. 4 is a day to watch. For Android lovers, it's Oct. 11. Both days will be big days for those who love technology.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I've been waiting for this announcement ever since Verizon boned me by not selling the GSII. I'm excited to hear what they have to offer. So this announcement is on the 11th and not the 4th like the title?

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Thu, Sep 29 2011 2:15 PM

Good One! Samsung/Google Android event will be on the 11th of October & not like this articles main heading on the 4th October. Anyway Samsungs Galaxy S II smart phone has a similar size of screen & the benefits of Android far out do the iPhone itself. Even the Neilsen market share statistics report show that many devices do succeed using Google's Android OS. That was an article earlier on this week about the Neilson market share report on Hot Hardware itself. But whether the Samsung brand itself will out do the sales of Apple's iPhone will be a different thing.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,782
Points 40,575
Inspector replied on Thu, Sep 29 2011 2:17 PM

Waiting for the 11th! Already waited two weeks, mind as well wait some more...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

w00t both platforms have their merit. As a technology professional I will be looking forward to announcements from both camps Smile Plus I am sure that HH will have plenty of news on those days regarding the announcements.

@Drake good catch on the title...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

w00t both platforms have their merit. As a technology professional I will be looking forward to announcements from both camps Smile Plus I am sure that HH will have plenty of news on those days regarding the announcements.

@Drake good catch on the title...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 292
Points 3,055
Aoshi replied on Thu, Sep 29 2011 11:54 PM

I heard about this.  I am definitely looking forward to this event. I always like to see what new gear Apple comes out with. Granted I hardly buy any of it. But still good to see how technology is coming along.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS