Desura

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 Posted: Sat, Sep 24 2011 2:49 PM

Desura for Linux beta - woo hoo!

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,381
Points 31,040
rrplay replied on Mon, Sep 26 2011 12:32 AM

ok cool thanks for posting the news and that you have been selected as one of the lucky few to get there hands on it :)

saw this here :

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/09/desura-linux-beta-video/

“Once our testers are happy, we will be opening the beta to everyone.”

When do you think that will be available to reg-folks and if you have any feedback as to how you would compare this to Steam.?

Thanks

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Mon, Sep 26 2011 7:30 AM

I don't think it will be too long at all before it's open to everyone.  I filed five bugs the day I started this thread, but the developers have been very quick to respond to my reports:  They've already fixed three of them and they told me the remaining two will be fixed in the next build.  None of the bugs I found were major showstoppers; the client seems to be very well thought-out.

I'd say it compares very well next to Steam.  The Desura client has all the features that I use in Steam.  There's no voice chat at the moment, but I could see them easily integrating it (their own, or some form of linphone/ekiga/teamspeak/etc) in the future.  The number of available games is only 46 at the moment, but that's 46 more native Linux games than Steam offers.

Half the games in my screenshot above are the free (as in beer) games they currently offer.  They didn't clutter their site with the hundreds of less interesting free games you can typically already find in your systems package manager (card/kiddie/knockoff games).

So far the Linux gamers group is at 900 members and climbing... hopefully after release it will get to a number that makes it worthwhile for some of the larger companies to release ports their games (I'm looking at you, ID - and everyone who licenses your engines).  If that happens before Valve wises up and releases actual native Steam and Source ports, Desura could have a big success on their hands.

If 1 in 200 Ubuntu users want to play games and would install this, that's nearly (if not, by now) six digits of Linux games right there, not including all the other distros.  The great thing about this is that while every distro's trying to make their own software center / application store - Desura's supporting them all.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,381
Points 31,040
rrplay replied on Mon, Sep 26 2011 9:42 AM

3vi1:

I'd say it compares very well next to Steam.  The Desura client has all the features that I use in Steam.  There's no voice chat at the moment, but I could see them easily integrating it (their own, or some form of linphone/ekiga/teamspeak/etc) in the future.  The number of available games is only 46 at the moment, but that's 46 more native Linux games than Steam offers.

That's great to know that the Desura client is going to be great  Linux alternative. Noticed to the 'standard free' games in you screenie ,certainly noting wrong with some of the kiddie  / card games but definitely not needed here.or perhaps desired.

So what about games like Doom 3 and the Penumbra series ? For ex. ?

3vi1:

The great thing about this is that while every distro's trying to make their own software center / application store - Desura's supporting them all.

That is a very good move ! Huge !

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS