Samsung SSD 830 Series Preview

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,164
Points 1,185,520
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Sep 23 2011 11:58 PM

Samsung SSD 830 Series PreviewAlthough they haven’t been breakout-hits with enthusiasts, Samsung’s solid state drives have been quite successful due to strong relationships with a number of OEMs, including Apple. With the upcoming release of their new SSD 830 Series solid state drives, however, Samsung seems poised to make some inroads with enthusiasts as well.

We’ve had a Samsung SSD 830 Series drive humming along in the lab for a little while now and have been impressed by the drive’s behavior and performance. They won’t be available for a few more weeks and pricing isn’t finalized just yet, but we’ve got the rest of the story on tap for you in the pages ahead. As you’ll see, the 830 Series puts on quite a show...

Samsung SSD 830 Series Preview

• | Post Points: 140
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 12:54 AM

Nice looking layout and it makes total sense with Samsung being who they are in the memory business. The specs look on tap with all the top runners in the SSD market so why not!

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Nice review Marco!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Thanks for the review... it looks like Samsung dropping their mechanical drive division to concentrate on SSDs was a good move. Especially considering they have great capacity to create large amounts of memory.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 7:28 PM

Great review Marco!

Looking at the SSD, I can say that Samsungs own solution can hold it's own (and beat by a margin) against the SandForce SSD's. I am a bit disapointed by the write speed but those looking for pure read speed won't mind as much.

I'm really hoping it's cheap, I mean from the stuff they're including in it; they really want a lot of people to have it. Again, really hoping it's cheap.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 2,135
SmogHog replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 8:20 PM

Firmware updates can help somewhat in raising the write speeds that seem to be the one area where the 830 series could use a little help and lags behind most of the others in the tests.

The competition have their weak spots too.

A plus for the Samsung 830 series as was also for the 470 series is that all the internal parts are made in house by Samsung.I don't know if Samsung makes the beautiful aluminum case themselves or not so I say just internal.

If you're interested in this drive you can also read another good review posted by storagereview.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 12:34 AM

Not bad, thanks for the review. Now we wait for price and see if its a good deal :)

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 5
JFerrell replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 8:08 AM

It'll be nice when they have a 500 gig SSD that is affordable, Affordable being the key word!

www.total-privacy.net.tc

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"So the IOMeter Tool is the most strenuous test? 26.13 percent of CPU usage seem pretty high, but I guess its a number us regular users wont even come close to reaching. The results are incredible though. The only other test that had a CPU utilization chart was the HD Tune Pro v4.61, which the 870 turned out to use about 6.2 percent more then the rest. Would have been cool to see a Cpu utilzn chart with the rest of the test just for curiosity."

"I hope that Samsung's pricing are reasonable, after all, there is a lot of competition, and the market is flooded with excellently preforming SSD's at different capacities. But, I do give Samsung credit, their 470 series has an excellent reputation along with Intel first Gen series. So I trust they will continue the good rep and this review has confirmed its high quality and high performance."

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
DLovinger replied on Thu, Sep 29 2011 6:05 PM

Curious if there's a reason why HD Tune's "Burst" performance would be uniformly less than the average performance if reports. HD Tune (http://www.hdtune.com/hdtune.html) suggests its about what we'd expect, though their exact method isn't specified.

Quoting:

"Burst Rate

The burst rate is the highest speed (in megabytes per second) at which data can be transferred from the drive interface (IDE or SCSI for example) to the operating system."

Maybe the chart titles are swapped?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS