Intel X79-Based Motherboard and Liquid-Cooler Sneak Peek

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,820
Points 1,166,765
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Sep 13 2011 1:29 PM

Just before wandering into Paul Otellini’s opening keynote at the Intel Intel Developers Forum going on in San Francisco, we spotted some new hardware on display in one of the demo areas we thought you’d all like to see.

If you remember a few weeks back, rumors began to spread that both Intel and AMD would be offering self-contained liquid-cooling solutions with their upcoming high-end processors. Well, as these pictures show, Intel is most definitely on-track to offer a liquid-cooling solution. Oh, and yes, that’s an X79 motherboard right next to it...

The X79 Express chipset is the successor to the X58 and will be paired to Intel’s upcoming LGA2011 socket for next-gen processors. The motherboard seen here is the Intel DX79SI, obviously based on the chipset. As its name suggest, the RTS2011LC liquid-cooling solution is also designed for said socket.

We don’t have many more details yet, but will as the day progresses. Time to get into the keynote and start taking some notes.

• | Post Points: 170
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

'Now that's some serious eye candy, Is it possible to get Cavities in the Retina?? Intel is going hard , no doubt. That's a beefy cooler, wicked looking too. But the star, The Motherboard, That Skull n heat sink looks frigging awesome. I also noticed it has 8 RAM slots and not four like the X79s we've seen so far. lOvE the Color scheme."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Nice looking board. Wish I was there.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

That thing looks amazing! Everything about it is cool.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Liquid cooling standard is pretty cool, I wonder how this cooler stacks up against the others on the market already. 8 ram slots??? Is there really only 4 sata ports? Things are going to get crazy. I'm looking forward to more details!

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,772
Points 40,510
Inspector replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 2:29 PM

that's one nice looking board. And they should upgrade every chip(including current and past) with a a stock water cooler :P

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 266
Points 2,975

Very cool Motherboard from Intel. All new design and am glad to see Intel make own water cooling system. I am looking forward to read about new Intel X79 Chipsets and next gen Intel i7 Extreme Edition Processor.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
BHerpich replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 3:10 PM

Intel is not making their own water cooler. They are just supplying it with the cpu. It is made by Asetek.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

In a word... awesome!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Asetek makes them for everyone, Corsair, Antec, PNY, etc.........I'm just excited that they are using liquid cooling as their stock option.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 3:48 PM

I don't really care if Intel isn't the one who manufactures these because i just find it cool that Intel is no longer giving that cheap cooler with a high end CPU. Every one who is spending money for an expensive processor will most likely spend money for a decent cool, but now some one may not need or want to upgrade their cooler.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 4:20 PM

looking real good for Intel to team up with the Asetek type hydro coolers.and hopefully they will ship with the option to purchase with or without.Very likely those purchasing an upper end CPU and man what a great looking Mainboard ! are likely to already have a preferred cooling option.

Good match too especially for that X79 board with all 8 mem slots no problem for taller heatsink ram modules and likely to be a must have for running Hyper-V VM s in Win 8.Thanks for the pics and keeping us updated .

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,356
Points 48,595
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 6:23 PM

It actually says "Cooled by Asetek" right on the CPU block...

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

So much for not including a cooler with their high end processors. This is even better :) GO Intel for this great inclusion in a high end processor. Of course at the $1000 dollar premium for an extreme chip it should come with something good like this.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 7:35 PM

Marco C:

It actually says "Cooled by Asetek" right on the CPU block...

It's a known fact that Asetek makes the most liquid CPU coolers out there in the retail market; and it's also a fact that they make good cooling products; I mean I've got a 92MM Asetek cooler installed and while it's not performing as well as the 120MM big boys, it does keep my CPU cooler then my previous CPU cooler.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,572
Points 103,130
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 8:00 PM

omegadraco:
Of course at the $1000 dollar premium for an extreme chip it should come with something good like this.

Agreed,......for a $1000.00 PLUS CPU, adding the water cooler makes sense. They SHOULD include a foot massager too. Smile

These Water Coolers really work well as Taylor said, and they're not that expensive for Intel to provide, seeing as though they can buy in outrageous quantities and get them for a lot less then we can.

I have 2 H60's and a H50 now. They're all a great way to cool a CPU and they're quiet too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Nice, but dump the toy water cooler and bundle dual thunderbolt instead for a cheap ram san linux cluster :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"I agree with the Foot Massager. Unfortunately, multiple sources are reporting that these coolers wont be included with the X chips. It should though, with Intel's buying power, they can easily acquire them at a modest $45-$50 per unit. But, oh well, its more profit for Them not to include them, but for one Grand a pop, it should be included."

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS