AMD Breaks 8GHz Overclock with Upcoming FX Processor, Sets World Record

rated by 0 users
This post has 28 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,421
Points 1,193,230
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Sep 12 2011 1:09 PM

While out at an event in AMD’s Austin offices a couple of weeks back, we got a chance to get up close and personal with the company’s upcoming Bulldozer-based FX-line of processors. Many of the details disclosed at the event are still under embargo, but AMD is allowing a bit of a sneak peek with today’s Guinness World Record announcement.

One of the demos at AMD’s HQ consisted of an array of overclocked FX processors, using various cooling methods, including air, water, and phase-change hardware. But the real star of the event was a liquid-nitrogen / liquid-helium setup that allowed AMD’s overclocking team to push a pre-release AMD FX-8150 processor to well over 8GHz, setting a world record for modern processor frequency in the process.

A handful of the AMD FX-8150 overclocking demos at AMD HQ

AMD’s goals with the overclocking demo were two-fold; to show that there was good frequency headroom in the chips, even at this relatively early stage of production, and to see if FX processors suffered from any “cold-bugs” when run at extreme, low temperatures. What we saw at the event was early FX processors running at around 5GHz with high-end air and water-cooling, in the 6GHz range with phase-change, and well over 8GHz on liquid-nitrogen and liquid-helium. Voltages of over 1.9v were used as well for some of the more extreme tests.

The overclockers working on “Team AMD” at the event were Sami Maekinen, Brian Mchlachlan, Pete Hardman, Aaron Schradin, and Simon Solotko, a senior manager at AMD. The team had access to dozens of early AMD FX-8150
processors and methodically worked through a batch of chips until ultimately hitting a peak of 8.429GHz using liquid-helium, easily breaking the previous record of 8.309GHz. Note that 8.49GHz was attained with only two of the processor’s eight cores enabled.

We have yet to do any personal overclocking tests of our own on an AMD FX processor, but if what we’ve seen so far plays out in the real-world when the chips hit retail, AMD overclockers are in for some serious fun. After some early missteps, it appears that Global Foundries’ 32nm SOI process, which is used to manufacture AMD's new family of processors, is now in good shape, and will likely get even better over time. We’ll all know soon enough once AMD ships the FX in volume in Q4.

• | Post Points: 305
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 552
Points 5,060

Wow'za, that is some serious speed there.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 9:22 AM

Way to Go absolutely incredible speed .cannot wait to see what these chips are going to do on high-end air,self-contained hydro, and high-end H2O ..Getting real hot with the FX buzz real quick :)

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Agreed @rrplay!! It would be awesome to run a processor at 5GHz on high end air! Looking forward to it's release as most of us around here.

Now you're just mashing it!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
sonicacorn replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 11:40 AM

I'm wondering how long it will be before Intel tries to break this record. AMD 1090T 6 core is running in my PC right now so I'm happy to see them achieve this record.

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 165
sweenjm replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 1:05 PM

mmmmmmmm........bulldozer.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Bulldozer might just beat out Sandy Bridge with these clocks.

AMD is looking good for sure. Kudos on the record that is how you win back market share.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 2:33 PM

wow, look at the stack of cpus :D lol. Impressive indeed.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,104
Points 11,180
CDeeter replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 3:05 PM

8 Ghz is mind boggling. Congrats AMD, now when's our turn?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

Inspector:

wow, look at the stack of cpus :D lol. Impressive indeed.

"Yeah. Insane."

------While out at an event in AMD’s Austin offices a couple of weeks back, we got a chance to get up close and personal with the company’s upcoming Bulldozer-based FX-line of processors.----

"Marco, how can you hold something inside for that long? When you said  "But the real Key to the story is that Bulldozer is Coming, and 990FX chipsets is where is its going to be at for Enthusiasts" I knew something was up. This is good because unlike Sandy Bridge(1155) which basically are limited to about 5- 5.1Ghz,, the FX series will be just like Intel's past Core i7's in terms of overclockability.  So Cooling's the limit."

"Now, theres the upcoming 2700K, to counter, could we maybe see 5.5 and up speeds? Thats going to be interesting. its an exciting day for tech and chips today and onward"

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 80
KKwan replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 3:36 PM

By the time we get a chance with the 8 Ghz. Who knows how many Ghz they will be on. X]

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 4:05 PM

Looks like we will be seeing them pretty soon and maybe  likely to have a solid & stable  5.5Ghz + on better air-coolers & all threads  I wonder if those that already have the FX mobos are getting all 'gidly' ? Smile

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Congrats to AMD on the world record. This is amazing I wonder how many chips and mobos they blew up.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 436
Points 3,395
LLeCompte replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 7:58 PM

lets just hope 8ghz translates to 8 billion in the quarter that the chips are released.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,697
Points 104,435
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 8:08 PM

Yeah, build that hype,.......

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 60
AMontiel replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 9:20 PM

AMD! Release this quick! Or else...

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 75
FRubi replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 10:55 PM

I think history has shown us that if you over hype something its generally not as great as the hype, at all....

I hope AMD makes me eat my words....

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 11:17 PM

FRubi:

I think history has shown us that if you over hype something its generally not as great as the hype, at all....

I hope AMD makes me eat my words....

To be fair, most of the hype is being justified as what AMD is showing us is a sign of confidence; I mean I don't know if the performace will outclass that of the competing intels but man, 8GHz; I'm impressed that it's able to get 8GHz simply through the usage of liquid nitrogen cooling; hell, I'd have to say that it's very, very, very impressive.

Now if only they'd release some 8GHz Bulldozer benchmarks.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
TSmith replied on Wed, Sep 14 2011 7:54 AM

Isn't that pretty.. Amd looks to set new speed records, while Intel goes after the tablet market and very low power requirements laptops/netbooks (apprently the future choice of consumers vs desktops). Let me know then these 2 cores reach 8.5ghz w/o overclocking & cooling necessary. It's quite easy now to just light up the other 2 cores @ 4.xghz under mild overclocking. So, unless they get a 8.5ghz x 4 (34ghz on one chip) cores going... what is such a big deal? Neverthelss, the PC industry is going to go off a cliff soon in demand. You see DDR3 ram prices plummeting right now... Guess who's next? The cpu companies...Innovate a mainstream product.Cut prices some now, or a lot more than you'll want to later on... your choice.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,697
Points 104,435
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Sep 14 2011 8:45 AM

TSmith:
So, unless they get a 8.5ghz x 4 (34ghz on one chip) cores going... what is such a big deal?

It's just bragging rights. It's what some people do, (and HAVE been doing for years) and we all know that it's not gonna perform anywhere near to that speed with all of it's cores running in our own homes.

The fact that they got it so high with their methods speaks to the very real possibility the platform may be a nice over-clocking home rig for those of us who like to do the same thing on a lesser level.

TSmith:
Let me know then these 2 cores reach 8.5ghz w/o overclocking & cooling necessary

Keep coming back to HH and you'll know about it when it happens.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Sep 14 2011 4:49 PM

TSmith:

Isn't that pretty.. Amd looks to set new speed records, while Intel goes after the tablet market and very low power requirements laptops/netbooks (apprently the future choice of consumers vs desktops).

Um. Intel isn't giving up on making powerful PC processors and AMD is also going in the same route that Intel is, which is processors which are very low power in requirements; so you can say they haven't changed much really...

TSmith:
Let me know then these 2 cores reach 8.5ghz w/o overclocking & cooling necessary.

We will... In 5 years or so give or take.

TSmith:
Neverthelss, the PC industry is going to go off a cliff soon in demand. You see DDR3 ram prices plummeting right now... Guess who's next? The cpu companies...Innovate a mainstream product.Cut prices some now, or a lot more than you'll want to later on... your choice.

DDR3 RAM prices may be plummeting but there's still alot of demand for them, and the CPU companies are doing all that they can to innovate. They didn't call it the PC industry for nothing, and sure; even though it's moving somewhat towards a tablet direction; there's still going to be a place for both AMD and Intel in the future. I mean really, you think they focused mainly on staying the same when all you can do in the computer industry is move forward?

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 55

Loving the record breaking by the bulldozer but would still like to see it under a load. See what it can do. Can't wait to see some benchmarks and real reviews. So excited!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
rbetz replied on Thu, Sep 15 2011 8:59 PM

how would this impress you? Gamer or Video crucher?

I don't understand the need for faster instead of more multicores in a operational capacity.

overclocked speed != increased performance in user operation, IMO.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
CRex replied on Sat, Sep 17 2011 8:55 AM

I bet the moment they start rendering with a 3D app, they would get instant BSOD...

And 2 cores only?

Pleasee....

This is sooo marketing BS...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,697
Points 104,435
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Sep 17 2011 10:39 AM

CRex:
This is sooo marketing BS...

But they ~all~ do this. We know this already.

Most of us are waiting for the hands on results from the many reviewers that probably already have these parts and are testing them in 'real world' usage scenarios.

There will such reviews posted here soon enough, I'd say.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
RMorin replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 4:40 PM

I'm not sure, but would it be possible to run this on an AM3 motherboard as well, or is it AM3+ only for now, or will it be on an entirely different architecture altogether? I have a Phenom II x4 955 on a 790GX Gigabyte Mobo, so I'd like to lessen the hassle of needing to build a whole new rig around the Bulldozer and/or Windows 8. This certainly has me excited nonetheless, but, certainly don't want to go through too much stress in upgrading this go round, need to scale back on building full-blown PCs in today's economy.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
PHale replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 10:11 PM

Just before Christmas, I found an FX-65 tower at a thrift store.

Boot screen BIOS shows 5.915 GHz + 2GB memory. A gaming card XFX 256MB, is installed, with dual video ports.

I am still rather amazed at a Sempron 2800+

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

LoL put it in a computer! :D

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I did 8Ghz on my laptop, an 18'' alienware, and hold first place on HBOT with it. Beat that.

Actually, I'll concede, if you want to hire me, than I can show you what its all about :P

but seriously, I need a job, to support my hobby... which should be my job ha!

Page 1 of 1 (29 items) | RSS